Notices

I know this is stupid

Old 06-04-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know this is stupid

So I know this is stupid and I don't even know why I'm posting it even as I'm typing it. But I feel compelled to say, yet again, that I truly soak up everything everyone says, and appreciate it so much. But I feel bad I can't remember what everyone has said in each and every thread to respond individually in my replies. I just feel so guilty (and maybe this is one my of problems) taking so much strength and positivity from you all, and then worrying I could say more or say something better to help others. I'm horrified I'm gonna come off the wrong way and upset someone and tip them over the edge, without even realizing it, or confuse people and their situations. I reread everything I post like 3 times and wonder if parts could be interpreted the wrong way. Yes, the more I type and reread this post, the more I think this is very much my own problem, a flag if you will, of something I need to work on. I even feel bad that I turned this apology into my own revelation!! Sigh.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am the exact same way! I could have written your post, oh my goodness. I was just sitting here after a relapse last night thinking that everyone must be sick of helping me and my posts must come out wrong and be misinterpreted, and maybe I don't help others enough, maybe I ask for help too much, may I talk about myself too much, blah blah blah.
I dont' know what the answer is, but I can tell you that you are not alone feeling that way!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, you need to slow down a bit and stop stressing xxx. Quitting alcohol/drugs is stressful enough for anyone to focus on.

Firstly you don't have to reply at all!! If someone says something particularly helpful, just click on the thanks icon.
If you want to thank someone using a reply post, you can say as much or as little as you feel able to.

We're all here to help each other but no-ones judging each others posts. Some touch us more than others, that's often because they hit on something particularly relevant to our situation.

Try to relax now. You are amongst friends. And someone who puts as much thought into their posts as you do is unlikely to push anyone over the edge!!

Love and hugs xxx
Old 06-04-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

You are doing just fine! Some days we need to take more, and some days we are able to give more. In early recovery I find I am taking a lot more than I am giving, but as my mind levels off and life calms down I find I am able to give a little nore.

I never judge posts bc I myself write posts like I am writing in my diary. You guys don't know me and I can be honest with myself here. Sometimes I am called out on it, and that is ok. Sometimes I need to be!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love your posts, friend. A little grace should touch every post, methinks. And you have a ton of it, so have confidence in yourself and post away! Or not! You're here and that's what matters most. Your last post says it all -- you care. There's no way I could keep up with all of the threads, or even a fraction of them. But that little "Thanks" button often says volumes about how you feel and what you're thinking when you press it for any post that you read. For me, anyway. You are awesome!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Responding to people's posts is not the only way to help people in this community. Just by sharing your thoughts, experiences, and struggles, you're reaching out to people who wonder if they're alone in this. I had a tough weekend, and I sat here and read everything posted on this board, not just the replies to my thread. It really made me feel like I wasn't crazy; it was all helpful. I don't reply to everything either; sometimes I just read.

Don't worry about it; as Jeni said, you're among friends.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Watch it, you're starting to sound like me. I catch myself feeling bad or guilty all the time but at least I catch myself. Maybe all our guilt, etc. can be rechanneled into positive energy and support.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

You aren't alone.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welp, here's what i was told a long time ago:" tom, what makes ya think remembering everything is so important when its impossible? why not just accept that yer memory aint no better than mine and be greatful you remember what ya do?"
also told at a later date," tom, stop worrying about what ya say to people. if they take it the wrong way, then they have a problem. our words cant be helpful to all poeple and even you get the wrong message."

i used to get so frustrated when someone would have a problem and i didnt have any advise. learned that if i didnt have a suggestion, its best to just keep my mouth shut. i cant transmit something i dont have.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

and what ya describe aint stupid!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm...
Have you noticed how we auto censor certain words on SR?

I'm thinking stupid should be added to the no no list....it never
helps anyone to think of themselves that way..

I'm in and out of SR several times a day...I read posts and
threads in various forums.....not always do I reply.

My expereince has proven...by shareing from the heart with support
and info.....I can't be doing anything wrong.

Why has SR grown into a vital haven for recovery issues?
It's because of you....you and you....keep those posts coming
Old 06-04-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Onelesslonely,, I feel the other way. What ever, I type as a reply to post, is something I am telling to myself.. That is why by posting a reply, the 1st person I amd helping is myself. If I post a reply as is it is addressed to me, I will generally say something sensible. Even if some one mis-interprets it, it is not my fault. If some one wants to mis-inerprte, I will not be able to stop them even by posting Golden Words.. keep posting without worrying. Every post adds to huge force against addiction and this huge force is SR !!!!