Notices

brother cut himself while drunk

Old 06-04-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

brother cut himself while drunk

I've been on here for a little while now, havent really been active since i fell off the wagon. I didn't think i was having an issue with alcohol, and to be honest i have been moderating my drinking and everything perfectly fine, except when i drink with my brother.

Saturday night we were drinking at my house and we were drinking hard. We got on the topic of his ex girlfriend (they just broke up this past week). they live together, work together, and have been together for over 4 years.

He started to get upset and was really really drunk (i found out later he doesnt remember any of this so we was blacked out) so i put some chill music on and told him to go smoke a cig and well play some video games. I went to use the bathroom and i come out and he had taken a knife from my drawer and sliced his bicep wide open almost to the bone. Babbling about something that was not making any sense. he then tried to come at me with the knife saying that my ex had hurt me too and i needed a cut.

I took the knife and had to wrestle him into the bathtub, there was blood everywhere. I wrapped up his arm and he kept taking it off saying it didnt hurt. I had to lock him in the bathroom to call our parents to come get him and take him to the hospital. he got stitched up... and is better now

But since it was a self inflicted wound he has been baker acted for 72 hours... i know he is upset but i think we have bigger issues at hand.

I'm getting back on the wagon after this weekend, i love my brother and i want to have him around for a long time, this alcohol has to stop.

thank you for reading.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am a cutter too. I cut almost 2 weeks ago while sober and trying to get through some withdrawals. I gave up wine long ago (didn't drink much then) but found I would get weepy and cut while drunk. From my own experience, cutting is not usually about attention seeking, but more from needing a release from the hell of intense emotional feelings I am feeling. I regret it later but it usually makes me feel better in the short term.

I have my own opinion on why the mechanism of cutting works short term but have no medical experience so I will not share that now.

PS I have never wanted to cut anyone else, only myself.

Good luck to your brother and also you.

~Kricket
Old 06-04-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Very scary stuff. Why wait till after the weekend to get sober? Why not now? Who knows what a drunk weekend will bring...you may not make it to Monday. I know it sounds harsh, but if you want to help your brother you need to help yourself. I never cut while drunk, but I have od'd on pills while drunk to end it all. I will keep your family in my prayers.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've self harmed a couple of times, during a period of relatively heavy drinking. No idea why I did it. Kinda scary looking back. Just another reason never to drink again.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober is Better

Originally Posted by aeo1313 View Post
Very scary stuff. Why wait till after the weekend to get sober? Why not now? Who knows what a drunk weekend will bring...you may not make it to Monday. I know it sounds harsh, but if you want to help your brother you need to help yourself. I never cut while drunk, but I have od'd on pills while drunk to end it all. I will keep your family in my prayers.
i think you misunderstood what i meant... i meant after this past weekend... as in right now im not drinking anymore,

thank you for your prayers.

God bless
Old 06-04-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

wow that is scary. I'm glad he is getting help.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have a collection of scars from periods of cutting while drinking, sometimes cutting because I was ashamed of the drinking. Even once ended up in the loony bin for 3 days following a long period of drinking and a cutting episode a few years ago. And you think that would have been my bottom, rather than a weepy episode after a pool party.

Cutting, from my experience, is about release and about shame. We feel shame, so we cut to punish ourselves. Maybe he is upset about the breakup, and maybe ashamed at his own behavior in the relationship that could have led to problems. I benefited from a course of antidepressants and therapy, and I can absolutely tell you that drinking does not make the shame go away, it doesn't make anything better, and it makes it much, much worse.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by WhySoSerious View Post
i think you misunderstood what i meant... i meant after this past weekend... as in right now im not drinking anymore,

thank you for your prayers.

God bless

Gotcha now!