SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Are there any seniors, or close, like myself on SR? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/258498-there-any-seniors-close-like-myself-sr.html)

oldsoul1122 06-03-2012 02:49 PM

Are there any seniors, or close, like myself on SR?

Hi..I'm 63 and I quit on April 21st of this year. SR is my only support, I'm not a group person, and I'm doing well with no desires to drink. The emotional ups and downs are the worst, stomach problems,headaches, low blood sugar. Lots of anger that ends in crying. I haven't cried in years. I have my dogs to keep me company. I quit because my health began to decline. It would be nice to hear from you. Thanks.

sissy07 06-03-2012 02:53 PM

Hi OldSoul,

I am 59, so we are very close in age! I had long periods of sobriety (years) but relapsed four years ago, and have been sober for almost 10 months. I, too, am somewhat of a loner, but I have my dogs to keep me company, too!

Your symptoms are the same that I experienced in the beginning. Give it time...you will feel better when your body gets more adjusted. If you are like me, my body had a lot of repair to do. And I have found it takes a lot longer now that I am older. Good thing we quit when we did....it only gets worse, and at an accelerated rate because of our age.

Keep reading and posting on SR. This site is helping me save my own life. Elizabeth

katrinka 06-03-2012 03:08 PM

Hi oldsoul, I'm 60 and quit alcohol on January 2nd so I've got 5 months behind me. It feels wonderful! I don't go to meetings, either, but AA has helped many folks on SR so it's certainly a good option if you feel you need more help. I read and post on SR almost every day. Not drinking makes me feel young! Good luck to you.

SoberBella1 06-03-2012 03:11 PM

Are there any seniors, or close, like myself on SR

Hi oldsoul, I am 58 yrs young. I was sober for 11 yrs but relapsed during a bad divorce after 25 yrs of marrige. I am having a hard time getting back on track. I was part of AA when I stopped many yrs ago. I need to go back. Maybe we could help each other. We are getting older & to continue this way there is no hope.

Dee74 06-03-2012 03:12 PM

I'm too young for this thread (:05:) but I know there are lots of members in their 50s 60s and beyond here :)

D

Sapling 06-03-2012 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by SoberBella1 (Post 3428460)
Hi oldsoul, I am 58 yrs young. I was sober for 11 yrs but relapsed during a bad divorce after 25 yrs of marrige. I am having a hard time getting back on track. I was part of AA when I stopped many yrs ago. I need to go back. Maybe we could help each other. We are getting older & to continue this way there is no hope.

Welcome SoberBella1....Have you been waiting for this thread to make your first post? I went to AA last year at the age of 52...After drinking most of my life...It will be a year for me in July...53 now....Of course you should go back....Look how well it worked for you before.

scrambled2012 06-03-2012 03:21 PM

Provided I keep making the right decisions, someday I will be a able to say I belong on this thread.

Sissy~~~! I thought you were 30 or something lol it's the dog he looks puppyish i think~~~

sissy07 06-03-2012 03:23 PM

No, scrambled, I am older physically*, but extremely immature for my age! :)

*although I am a dead ringer for Pamela Anderson (jk)

Dee74 06-03-2012 03:28 PM

welcome to SR SoberBella :)

D

ExBudGal 06-03-2012 03:41 PM

Hi Oldsoul, I too am older. I initially quit last year in February but relapsed for 8 months. I'm close to day 40 now, just turned 51, and been drinking my entire life. I thought at first too that I was too old (you know, can't teach an old dog new tricks) but I think I'm gonna be ok. I've been wanting to quit for years and hoping with age comes wisdom....Maybe we can all support each other?

CaiHong 06-03-2012 04:20 PM

Welcome Oldsoul,

I am 58 and have been sober a year with the support of AA and this forum.

I feel like I am starting a new and better life in sobriety. health is so important at any age but things are probably wearing out now.

I went to a meeting the other day, it was great, lots of people my age. Don't give up so easily on the idea of going to meetings. I am not a group person but as I get more into my sobriety I am feeling a bit more relaxed and comfortable.

love
CaiHong

aussieblue 06-03-2012 04:35 PM

Hi Oldsoul , I'm 52, SR is my only support group also, I live in an isolated area. Welcome to the forum , its a great place to hang out with plenty of great advice and friendship.

Bethany57 06-04-2012 06:20 AM

I am 55 and SR is my only means of support also. The community and caring of SR is unbelievable. Hang in there... 63 is not old and the human body is amazing how it can repair itself. Do you walk your dogs? The exercise can really help out a lot! Best of luck and keep posting for support when you need it.

least 06-04-2012 06:41 AM

I'm 60 and with the support of SR and my counselor I've been sober now for over two years.:) I too have my two dogs for company and they are my babies.:) I got sober for myself and my dogs and they're my biggest reason for staying sober so I can give them the care they deserve.

sugarbear1 06-04-2012 06:44 AM

I'm 51 finally "got it" last year. 63 isn't old... 63 is still vibrant!

Keep staying stopped!

aeo1313 06-04-2012 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by CaiHong (Post 3428545)
Welcome Oldsoul,

I am 58 and have been sober a year with the support of AA and this forum.

I feel like I am starting a new and better life in sobriety. health is so important at any age but things are probably wearing out now.

I went to a meeting the other day, it was great, lots of people my age. Don't give up so easily on the idea of going to meetings. I am not a group person but as I get more into my sobriety I am feeling a bit more relaxed and comfortable.

love
CaiHong

For some reason I pictured you around age 23 or 24

2granddaughters 06-04-2012 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by oldsoul1122 (Post 3428436)
Hi..I'm 63 and I quit on April 21st of this year. SR is my only support, I'm not a group person, and I'm doing well with no desires to drink. The emotional ups and downs are the worst, stomach problems,headaches, low blood sugar. Lots of anger that ends in crying. I haven't cried in years. I have my dogs to keep me company. I quit because my health began to decline. It would be nice to hear from you. Thanks.

I turned 68 last Thursday. I'm a male and been sober in AA since 1989.

The compulsion to drink left me in the first year and I attend AA meetings today to treat my mental, emotional, social and spiritual problems and defects.

If you went to AA I bet you would feel right at home in no time..... and a lot more at peace.

All the best.

Bob R

MycoolFitz 06-04-2012 10:46 AM

Well, I'm 65 and everything seems to be declining except my desire for sobriety. Alcohol was never good for me but it is becoming fatal now. My dad quit in his late 70s there isalways hope.

WritingFromLife 06-04-2012 12:49 PM

Wow. I am impressed at the number of members in their 50s/60s---no wonder there is so much wisdom on these here boards...such a gift to us all.

FredG 06-04-2012 01:03 PM

Greetings from one Senior to another - I too am 59 or close enough to it. Started drinking when I was 10, found drugs at 15, honed my drinking at 17 in the Canadian Military and quit both at 25.

I had to do it through A.A. because, for me quitting was a complete life style change. I had to replace all my friends, because the ones I called friends at the time were the people I drank with. One of the other reasons I used the program was because, as it was pointed out early in my sobriety, only the 1st step of the 12, dealt directly with my drinking. The other 11 showed me the way to get better.