Notices

Keep Relapsing

Old 06-04-2012, 12:45 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bored3 View Post
Hi,

Just getting really sick of this. I feel like I've been doing the same thing for years. I go for periods at a time without drink, feel better, inevitably relapse. It's like I have a self destruct button that I want to punish myself.

I'm unemployed, my last job wasn't helped by drinking but I was suffering with depression at the time, a lot of that brought on or not helped by alcohol. I feel much better when I'm sober, I know I do, it's like I just get bored or feel uneasy when things are going too easy, again like I'm punishing myself.

I'm relatively young and really know that I can make a go of this. It almost feels hard to go back to drinking, but I always seem to. When I'm not sober, I let things slide, don't do things.

For example, a few weeks ago I wasn't drinking, I was trying to detox and feel better about myself. It was working. Before long, I was eating healthily but having some caffeine and meat. Then I think to myself, "I might as well drink tonight and start the healthy lifestyle again tomorrow", a week later I'm back here. I'm really an all or nothing type of person, an addict I suppose. Now, I feel like crap, been throwing up all yesterday, can't sleep, just annoyed with myself. Again.

I've been to AA, I've been to counselling, I've told people I have problems - the bottom line is when I put my energy towards being sober, I find it simple enough, my mind just always seems to sway.

I know if I am sober I can achieve anything - if I drink I ruin my body, my health, I become anxious, I have less chance of passing exams and projects, less chance of a career, more reclusive. It's a no brainer - why do I keep doing this to myself?
I think it's because we like the effects produced by alcohol. It does something for us.

At least that is why I drank. I liked the altered state, the relief, the sense of ease and comfort.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I hope your well today , and how about WE both dont pick up a drink just for Today.

Good love, Inda
Old 06-08-2012, 01:33 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Just an update.

As I have previously told Dee, on the fourth day (think?) I drank some alcohol accidentally thinking it was something else, but immediately put it down and told the person I was with about the problem. Obviously there are opinions on whether this counts or not, I don't really mind either way this is either Day 4 or Day 8 and I feel much better hoping to carry this forward.

I can't thank people enough for the support, especially for how I was feeling last week.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:36 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

A relapse requires an intention to return to a previous state. Being high or drunk, or under the influence. Without intent there is no relapse.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:49 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey B3

Like I said, unintentional accident? I wouldn't count it.
I would mind my own drink tho, and not drink from others cups

D
Old 06-08-2012, 01:50 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Obviously there are opinions on whether this counts or not,
I think the only opinion that matters is yours. Congrats on the days you have and I'm glad to see you are moving forward...Look into the resources available to you to help you along.....It takes some effort to do this...I wish you well....Keep us updated and use this site for support.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:46 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Obviously there are opinions on whether this counts or not, I don't really mind either way this is either Day 4 or Day 8 and I feel much better hoping to carry this forward.
Forward it will carry. Day 4 or 8. Lets see in Plank time you have at 4 days = 6.411207741e+48. Now lets look at someone who has say 11 months. They have in Plank time = 1.950075688e+50. Oh in a relative scope of things...well, well, we can now see that a big fat ego will repetitively call out their, with respect of plank time, as quantified in inimical sober month time, reverse punitive ediocentric boast fail time call out...regularly. Ah pity the fools.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Thank you for starting this thread and for all that have posted in it. There is great stuff here that has been swirling around in my own mind.

As for accidental drinking- last night I was about to drink from my husbands diet coke when he saw me and jumped in- he had doctored it with vodka. That scared me on many levels bc it was just in a gas station cup- what if the kids had done the same thing? I need to talk to him about this today- that if he is drinking alcohol to make sure that it is clear to all of us not to drink it.