Notices

Add one Early Sobriety Hint, to help new members...

Old 09-28-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Never give up, you are stronger than you think.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

I read this prayer every day. I even have it in my personal folders at work and on a little card in my purse. I try and focus on one point every day

Just for today I will try and live through this day only, and not try to tackle my whole life problems at once. I can do something for 12 hours that would appal me if I thought that I had to do it for a lifetime.

Just for today I will be happy. Most people are as happy as they make up their minds to be.

Just for today I will adjust myself to what is and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my 'luck' as it comes and fit myself to it.

Just for today I will try and strenghen my mind. I will study. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires thought and concentration.

Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways. I will do someone a good turn and not get found out. If anyone knows about it, it will not count. I will do at least two things I don't want to do, just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt, they maybe hurt but I will not show it.

Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, talk low, act courteously, criticise not one bit, not find fault with anything and not try to improve or regulate anyone except myself.

Just for today I will have a programme, I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests, hurry and indecision.

Just for today I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and will relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective of my life.

Just for today I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful and to believe that as I give to the world, the world will give to me.

Big hugs

Gxx
Old 09-29-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Cut down on the sugar.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Ask yourself, would there be this huge, supportive, positive website that supports sobriety if sobriety wasn't SOOOOO worth it??
Old 10-03-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

I'm only on day 6, but the thing that keeps me motivated, is to look back at the failures that i can absolutely put down to alcohol and nothing else. I can say ' I messed that up because of beer' I look back and don't want to keep the destructive cycle going
Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Don't let shame stop you from Recovery. Shame was my biggest obstacle in the beginning, (after withdrawal). Be determined to turn shame into grace, and recovery into a source of pride and humility that others will want to emulate.

It can be done. Believe me! I was SOOOO ashamed.
But not now. So you can do it too.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Find people with long term sobriety and do what they do
Old 10-19-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Read some of your old posts when you crave.
I never thought I'd do that, but I have been doing that lately and it has helped me some, especially to pull myself back out of denial.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:30 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Say to yourself:
I am willing to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to reach and maintain my sobriety.

Tell yourself:
Even when I forget WHY I need to do this, I will still do it, as eventually I will remember again.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Be kind to yourself, pamper youself a little, and take baby steps all the way, those baby steps quickly add up to a mile.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

'Tell yourself:
Even when I forget WHY I need to do this, I will still do it, as eventually I will remember again.'

Definitely rings true, thanks Eternal!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Sometimes the cravings might be other needs masked as a craving for alcohol. What is it you actually need?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Twenty-Four Hours a Day
Jan. 6,

AA Thought for the Day
Keeping sober is the most important thing in my life. The most important decision I ever made was my decision to give up drinking. I am convinced that my whole life depends on not taking that first drink. Nothing in the world is as important to me as my own sobriety. Everything I have, my whole life, depends on that one thing.

Can I afford ever to forget this, even for one minute?

Meditation for the Day
I will discipline myself. I will do this disciplining now. I will turn out all useless thoughts. I know that the goodness of my life is a necessary foundation for its usefulness. I will welcome this training, for without it God cannot give me this power. I believe that this power is a mighty power when it is used in the right way.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Learn to recognize your triggers and be vigilant about not reacting to them by drinking.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Remind yourself of the things drinking has cost you

I used to be an early riser, couldn't wait to start my day with coffee, the treadmill and get a few minutes to myself before my baby boys woke up...always full of energy. Drinking has stolen everything I held dear and I remind myself constantly of the things that I've lost...I'm only on my second day, but I have resolve like never before and I want the old me back. The me with values, goals and dreams. I really liked myself before and I want to like myself again.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:57 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Drink lots and lots of water. Rehydrate yourself and the headaches will go, the puffy eyes will diminish and the dry skin will refresh.

Love your post Rachel.
Just for today I will say a sincere thank you if I receive a compliment and not joke it away
Old 11-02-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Do not attempt to try another drug or another form of addictive behaviour to convince yourself that you can handle it. This includes gambling and promiscuous sexual behaviour. Chances are you're just gonna get yourself in a mess.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Keep reading and posting as much as you can. The more support you get the better it is. We all need support, you and I!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  
EAE

Be sober for yourself today, because one day you will run out of tomorrows.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

I am only 2 days sober but I will read this thread every day if I have too. Thank you all for your posts on what keeps you going. I have a hard time reaching out to others but really want to change that. Thank you all for being here.