Notices

Add one Early Sobriety Hint, to help new members...

Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Take anything that helps you to not drink, and use it.

What, and who helps you the first week of sobriety, may be different come the next week, the next month or next year.

We are all different. But addiction itself is all the same.

We are all on YOUR side. The sober side.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

When you first quit, it seems alcohol thoughts consume every second. (Thinking how to avoid it. How to live without, and on and on... ) But understand that although before you quit, you planned everything around having it, and when you first quit, you plan everything around not having it, eventually, that drops off and little by little you think about it with less and less frequency.

Eventually it becomes a rare thought. Instead you think what to do with your new time, your new health and self esteem, your extra money....And then, you think about how you want to help others. All that happens, as long as you DON'T drink.

Also, at first, you think everyone is noticing that you are quitting. You think they notice when you are not drinking. You feel transparent.... But the truth is, they are not noticing. What has been the center of your life: alcohol, is NOT the center of most people's lives. And eventually it won't be the center of yours either! As long as you DON'T DRINK. Get through the beginning weeks and months. You do that, by NOT drinking. You CAN do this. You're drinking wants you to think that you can't. But the real truth is, YOU CAN.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Physical activity, try to work out if you can. Go for a walk, anything except laying down and feeling sorry for yourself. Walk around your house, if that's all you can do.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Take different ways home so you don't pass familiar liquor stores and haunts. If you drank at home, make a differnet routine in the evenings. Sit in a different chair when you eat dinner. Move the living room furniture around and watch TV from a different place. Have beverages on hand at home as substitutes. I drank ginger ale, or club soda mixed with juice on ice. Anything to feel festive.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Eat, not obsessively, but eat well.

When I was hungry I always felt like drinking because I knew that I could have a better buzz on an empty stomach.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Don't go through what I just went through on facebook (in early recovery), just delete\suspend your account and stay on here.
Family BS is getting very hairy (both on facebook & real life), I felt it was best to block some cousins out. We have a strange divide that cuts across several states and alcoholism is strong in our blood. I got that heart-racing kind of pissed-off, but I knew the drink was not going to cure anything.
(Anyway, just had to rant somewhere...)
Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I'm a loyal, people-pleasing, honest type. I told loads of people and didn't want to let them down or appear a liar.

At present though I have found a "higher power" and for me it is my kids. I want to set a good example. Don't want to let them down or embarrass them (more)
Old 06-20-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
Also quit for yourself, ...not others, so that you don't rebel and drink just out of defiance and opposition.

This is the key !!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:20 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I am now 3 weeks and this forum has been my reason for sucess, it really has.
I log on several times a day and read posts, now I am stronger and the desire to drink has left me, I decided to start posting to help others as we all try to do in this forum.

The great things that have happened to me in just 3 weeks are....

1 My looks are returning, fresher skin and no dark circles under my eyes.

2 bloating stomach and face gone

3 I have started saving the money I wasted and it is nice to see all that cash

4 I dont feel down and miserable every day

5 I am calm and becoming a much nicer person rather than the judgemental and grumpy person I was when drinking, no longer selfish and blaming others for my misery and addiction

6 lost about 10lb without even trying, even though my appetite is huge!

7 No wasted days recovering from hangovers

8 sleeping well and not waking during the night

Oh why would anyone want to give all that up for a demon liquid.........and it only gets better every passing day!

The best advice I can give is this..........We need to be with people who are like us, only others in recovery can help those in recovery becuase they truly understand this problem.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Remember every day in a row that you do NOT drink, you get exponentially emotoonally and cognitively stronger. Every day you DO drink though, robs you of strength and self esteem.

Quitting is a surefire way to build up multiple healthy ways to cope with what life brings you. Drinking is a surefire way to lose your emotonal muscle strength. Don't drink, and it comes back to you!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

EternalQ, I reworded one of your reminders and set it as the screensaver on my phone "Remember how horrible your life was when you were drinking". Every time, I go to my phone (which is a lot for most of us) I see that happy little reminder.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Have. A. PLAN!! Sobriety doesn't just happen. You don't stumble into it. Think about when you were drinking. I mean really drinking. You switched liquor stores so the clerks didn't see you coming in all the time. You hid your accounts from your spouse so they couldn't tell how much you were spending on booze. You timed your liquoor store runs so no one knew you were out getting your fix. You had a hiding spot. Your had a couple of hiding spots. You had so many hiding spots you're still finding them. You hid your empty bottles and threw them away in other people's cans. In other words, you had an elaborate PLAN. Plan your sobriety with even greater care and you will reap the benifits.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

The first week I just repeated over and over in my head 'The only way out is through'. Don't need that one anymore as I feel great after only 5 weeks. I also have a list of 101 things to do before drinking. Boredom was a massive trigger so needed to keep busy and in the past I couldn't even think clear enough when I was craving to come up with something to do so I usually drank. There are many things I can do that take away the cravings and having them written down really helped. I hardly need that anymore either tho. I know Im technically still new too but these things really helped me. Great thread
Old 06-22-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

In the first couple weeks of quitting, I.made a running list of behaviors that Id done when I drank that I was ashamed of. I called it my degenerative list. Not that I didnt have compassion for myself, but as you are sobering up more and more comes back to you. Things like not paying bills but buying liquor, lying to those you love, canceling on people who need you cause you are hungover, driving under the influence, saving your calories for liquor, rotating liquor stores, hiding my liquor under my guest bed when I visited others, and much worse stuff too of course. And NO ONE knew in my case. I told a work colleague today (who is sober two years now) how I used to put my hands in my pockets or behind me at work to hide the shakes. She said: "I never knew!" I said, "Thats because Im good. When I drink I am the master secret keeper." Thats what is so astonishing because now that I have nothing to hide, I am so open. Anyway the point is one look at that list of mine and I remember why I can't drink. So, try making your own list as things come back to you. See if it helps.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I went to meetings every day for the first few weeks...got no sleep...went around in a fog, very emotional. I let myself off the hook for all the responsibilities I could; I ate a lot; I just stuck on the "don't drink today, go to a meeting today" mantra.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Do what helps you detach from the addiction. Give it a name, tell it why its destructive, and break up with it. It is like a toxic lover that pops up and stalks you when you least expect it. Don't give it any intermittent reinforcement (which is what relapsing or slipping is). No mixed messages. No negotiations!
Old 06-23-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
instant

Think of it as your own private adventure into the unknown
Old 06-24-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Buy alcohol free mouthwash. My mouthwash with alcohol made me crave. Change up your rituals. Drive home a different way, go to bed a different time, and when you can't change rituals, then substitute. Sometimes seven up in a glass with ice told.my brain it was time to relax even though there was no alcohol in the glass. And know, the cravings will definitely lessen over time. Truly, they do. They pop up here and there and so you can't be surprised or complacent, but they become more of a rarity. Promise. Just stick it the heck out. It will not be this bad for long.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:38 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

In the first few months do what you can to minimize your presence at places alcohol will be served. When you feel you cannot avoid it, have a sober support person with you when possible. Get on SR before and after. Roleplay in your mind what non alcoholic beverage you will drink there, what you will do and say if alcohol is offered or handed to you. Realize you can excuse yourself and leave if you fear jeopardy. Eventually you will be able to do this without a second thought but for now, try to stay away from such events. I cancelled going to events and things in the beginning till i knew i was stronger and better prepared.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Say NO immediately when the urge to use pops into your head.