Notices

A Realization

Old 06-02-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Realization

Today I woke up sober... by the grace of god and those around me. For that I am indeed grateful. I also realized something else... Being drunk now would require A LOT more work than being sober. When I think back to drinking I realize that it seemed like it was the "easy" way to deal with things. When I look at the overall picture of it however it was incredibly difficult and stressful... all day everyday. I just want to welcome all the newcomers and suggest that it does indeed get easier as time goes by... god bless you all!
Old 06-02-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Addiction is incredibly short sighted, it's important to always remember this. When I want to drink or use I always force myself to see beyond. The paranoia that friends and family will find out, the trouble of sneaking the empties out of the house and the fear that they will somehow be discovered, the guilt, having to write "Day one" on the calendar, when week eight is just a space back, thinking constantly about when I'll use next... I'ts a full time job.

The good news is that it never has to be that way again, no matter how hard the nights are, if I make it to the next day, I always wake up glad I stayed sober the next morning.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Being an alcoholic was the most difficult job I ever undertook--constant lies, cover-ups, stress over my booze stash, ruined relationships, and on and on. Now I'm sitting out on my little summer living room I created listening to music, drinking iced tea and enjoying a beautiful summer day. What was I thinking all these years. Good for your day.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is alot of work to drink, I think thats why we are left with a void for a while to fill up all of that time thinking of how to get it, drink it, maybe hide it, and then the awful feeling the next day. Of course we might seem bored now!
And I'm with Admiral, the nights can be hard, but the prize at the end is waking up the next morning.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree wholeheartedly that being sober is much easier than being drunk.....despite the fact that I've thought it was the other way around for years. I can't believe I was able to wake up sober today and be free to do anything I want, drive anywhere I want, have extra money in the bank from not spending it on vodka, and just live an easier life because of sobriety.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

awesome to hear things gettin from yer head to yer heart!! funny thing is we ex drunks know how much work it took to get drunk.if i tell a non drinker that they will tilt their head and have a look like maggots crawled outta my nose or sumthin!