SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just back from the hospital (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/258353-just-back-hospital.html)

john44 06-02-2012 12:34 AM

Just back from the hospital

After a miserable detox. I almost died of alcohol poisoning. Feeling better but still a little shaky. It's back to AA on my knees tomorrow. I really hate this addiction. It has destroyed my life.

OklaBH 06-02-2012 12:42 AM

make it your last trip. I was in ICU in April. I drank way to much. I was coughing up blood, couldnt walk or talk. I mean PHYSICALLY couldnt walk or talk. My alcohol consumption bottomed out my potassium levels and i was a very sick girl. After a few days I convinced myself i had a vitamin deficiency...that it wasnt alcohol. LIES LIES LIES

Dee74 06-02-2012 12:47 AM

I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that John - but I'm glad you're back :)

D

theysayimcrazy 06-02-2012 12:48 AM

but you're still alive. you have another chance to make things right. take care <3

john44 06-02-2012 12:53 AM

I've probably lost my best friend of 20 years over this one. Everyone is fed up with me. Didn't have any visitors. Hospital staff were kinda cold. People don't like alcoholiccs and I don't blame them.

But do you believe I'm craving a drink right now? How sick is that?

john44 06-02-2012 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by theysayimcrazy (Post 3426251)
but you're still alive. you have another chance to make things right. take care <3

I have done so much damage to my life, I don't have a clue how to start making things right.

theysayimcrazy 06-02-2012 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by john44 (Post 3426257)
But do you believe I'm craving a drink right now? How sick is that?

what do we do when s*** hits the fan? we drink and/or use.
this is no different. you've lost a friend because of it. that's something that i assume bothers you. and your solution usually would be to drink over it.
so it's not sick that you're craving.
i went to jail, got thrown out of my house a few times, ruined work & college opportunities. and after each incident, that's when i was craving the most.
and the fact that you've detoxed, your body feels better than how it was feeling prior to detox, so it's saying "come on, john, have a drink!"
but anyways, a drinking thought is just a thought.
and there's nothing wrong with that. just don't let it turn into an action.

and the first thing you can do to make things right, is to stay sober just for today. i know you probably dont wanna hear that but its true.

instant 06-02-2012 01:07 AM

Start with what is in front of you. I am glad you are here. The alternative to being on your knees is not an attractive option.

Dee74 06-02-2012 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by john44 (Post 3426259)
I have done so much damage to my life, I don't have a clue how to start making things right.

Imagine the tides gone out John - leaving behind a mountain of debris...

You make things right by picking up a piece at a time - that's what I did - it was a long process, but I made it...

you can too :)

D

jstar 06-02-2012 02:00 AM

Just try one hour at a time to not drink & don't drink between meetings and if you have to or can, try a few meetings a day if you are able to. I had to do that sometimes. Keep coming on here & posting. Glad you are here :)

Michael66 06-02-2012 02:22 AM

Hi John,

I'm sure you realize the place to start is with sobriety. Be patient and I'm sure the rest will steadily sort itself out.

God bless. We're all rooting for you.

lydiebreeze 06-02-2012 03:45 AM

J44...
you HAVEN'T ruined your life - YET.
Stay sober - concentrate on that - try really hard to not think of all you've lost - try to think of what you'll gain by being your authentic self.

Like many people in recovery I too have screwed up a lot of things in my life.

I can only hope that either
A. What I've damaged can be repaired
B. If what I've damaged CAN'T be repaired - then for sure something else wonderful will take it's place

But I know for sure that
C. - If I keep on drinking NOTHING good will come of it ;)

P.S. - I too went to hospital to detox - you're right - the staff aint so nice - it must be hard for them to see addicts and alcoholics coming in in the state we're in. They kicked me out at 4:30 in the morning and I had no ride! Oh well. We're both still here. HANG IN THERE!

Sapling 06-02-2012 03:46 AM

Glad you are still alive....If you are going back to AA tomorrow on your knees...I'd suggest you do the things you didn't do last time you were there....Follow the path....Rarely have we seen....All that stuff. Don't drink today.

Zebra1275 06-02-2012 06:02 AM

Imagine the tides gone out John - leaving behind a mountain of debris...

You make things right by picking up a piece at a time - that's what I did - it was a long process, but I made it...

That's a great analogy Dee.

Anna 06-02-2012 06:15 AM

John, try to not get overwhelmed about what messes in your life you have to clean up. I really struggled with that too, and very simply, do what you can do each day and things will improve. :)

crewisms 06-02-2012 06:54 AM

John, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm may only be 8 days sober, but after decades of drinking and living a selfish, destructive life, I've focused my selfishness towards remaining sober. To my surprise, tiny little rays of hope, giving and repair are emerging from the haze. I have embraced the fact that I'm dealing with a marathon, rather than a sprint.

Detox in itself is a huge accomplishment. Hang in there!

Elisabeth888 06-02-2012 07:13 AM

I am sorry. I think we all understand how you are feeling.

Don't tackle the world today. Go to a meeting, share and don't take a drink.

sissy07 06-02-2012 08:19 AM

John44,

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Remember how you feel right now and start again. I have been there, and it is not easy, but it is a lot easier than continuing the drinking. Take care of yourself.

john44 06-02-2012 08:28 AM

[QUOTE=lydiebreeze;3426322]J44...
you HAVEN'T ruined your life - YET.
Stay sober - concentrate on that - try really hard to not think of all you've lost - try to think of what you'll gain by being your authentic self.

Like many people in recovery I too have screwed up a lot of things in my life.

I can only hope that either
A. What I've damaged can be repaired
B. If what I've damaged CAN'T be repaired - then for sure something else wonderful will take it's place

But I know for sure that
C. - If I keep on drinking NOTHING good will come of it ;)

P.S. - I too went to hospital to detox - you're right - the staff aint so nice - it must be hard for them to see addicts and alcoholics coming in in the state we're in. They kicked me out at 4:30 in the morning and I had no ride! Oh well. We're both still here. HANG IN THERE![/

QUOTE]

I thought that was going to happen to me. I was basically nakek, with no money ,nobody to help and the er staff said its not tjeir problem. Thank God i eas admitted. A buddy brought some clothes and money and i got a ride after detox was over.ill add all this to my gratitude list.

Aarontg88 06-02-2012 08:48 AM

I've never been addicted to alcohol just oxycodone but I hear the pains are just as worst and I know how u feel With the cravings but you gotta stay strong everything gets better in time an time is forever.