Notices

had enough

Old 06-01-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

had enough

Hi guys,

I'm new here, i have been drinking tonight, not loads but i'm a solitary drinker, more or less. I've read a lot of posts on this and other sites and i need help. My life is in tatters and hope is now a rare visitor to my psyche. The addictive part of my brain (which appears to be running the show) has all but convinced me that my 'answers' to life and my emotional pain lies in a bottle of wine or two. Don't know who i am anymore, read loads about addiction, bit scared of AA, what if it doesn't help? Or if someone tries to drain me emotionally? I've been a listener all of my life, can't do it anymore. Any advice would be welcome...

Plus, neighbours making a racket with party and rap music tonight, jubilee weekend here in London! Arrrghhh!

Thanks..
Old 06-01-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I completely lost myself in alcohol too and I thought I could never find my way out. But, I did and you can too. There is lots of support here and information too. I am not an AA person, but I was already drained emotionally when I stopped drinking. I was empty. So, I had to start putting myself together again and it's been an amazing journey.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by catlover17 View Post
bit scared of AA, what if it doesn't help?
Welcome catlover17....I was scared of AA too...And I wondered if it couldn't help me also...But if I hadn't tried it...I wouldn't be 11 months sober today.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi catlover, welcome! We are all here because we are sick of being controlled by alcohol. AA offers a way to stay sober, its not the only way but I like what they had to offer. How would I have discovered that unless I first darkened the door? I would suggest you go and find out what their solution is, and stay if you like what they have to offer. (hugs) Glad youre here!
Old 06-01-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hope is now a rare visitor to my psyche. The addictive part of my brain (which appears to be running the show) has all but convinced me that my 'answers' to life and my emotional pain lies in a bottle of wine or two.
Well said! I know that feeling. But here's the good news: it's an illusion. Hope is all around you, you just can't see it because of the drinking. I know all about seeking escape in the bottle. But it's not an escape—it's the freakin' prison. Addiction warps our view, makes up look like down, causes look like cures. That's how it keeps us trapped, because the reality is, there are no locks on that prison door. You can walk out any time you want. It's not easy, but it is surprisingly simple.

Glad you found us, catlover. Stick around—this place was a godsend for me.

PS: Rap music for the diamond jubilee? I don't think Her Majesty would approve of that...
Old 06-01-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

GOOD NEWS!!!! AA isnt just about listening. its a program of action!!! its worked for millions of alcoholics worldwide.

Big Book On Line
Old 06-01-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! You will find lots of support here. 11 days ago I couldn't imagine myself stopping either.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

guys...thanks..

such lovely posts.. this is the start, will check out AA meetings, have had so little support in my life, nice to know people care.. i love caring so hope to be of value and support when i'm a bit better..

Rap music has stopped now It's just a bit party mode in UK as we have four days off for Jubilee

Completely understand the concept of the illusion that alcohol creates, just need that lightbulb moment... won't wait for it to stop drinking, addictive voice creeping in,

peace and love to everyone,

xxxx
Old 06-01-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

guys...thanks..

such lovely posts.. this is the start, will check out AA meetings, have had so little support in my life, nice to know people care.. i love caring so hope to be of value and support when i'm a bit better..

Rap music has stopped now It's just a bit party mode in UK as we have four days off for Jubilee

Completely understand the concept of the illusion that alcohol creates, just need that lightbulb moment... won't wait for it to stop drinking, addictive voice creeping in,

peace and love to everyone,

xxxx
Old 06-01-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Try listening to xa-speakers.org as these are recorded talks from AA meetings.

Glad you are here!
Old 06-01-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family catlover - it's wonderful you found us. I was lost and alone until I came here. I felt so much calmer and more hopeful when I began reading and seeing myself in so many of the posts. You can have a new life, catlover - we're here to help.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I would imagine an influx of Brits is on the way to this site after the Queen's jubilee weekend haha. Welcome catlover17, this site has been great help to me as I had become a solitary drinker too and this place reminds me that I don't always have to be 'alone'.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi and Welcome,

I completely lost myself in alcohol too and I thought I could never find my way out. But, I did and you can too. There is lots of support here and information too. I am not an AA person, but I was already drained emotionally when I stopped drinking. I was empty. So, I had to start putting myself together again and it's been an amazing journey.
Anna, what method did you use to quit and recover?
Old 06-02-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

catlover -
"i love caring so hope to be of value and support when i'm a bit better.. "

I understand that statement so WELL!!!
I just wanted to offer my own experience in regards to AA and the "I can't wait to help someone else" attitude...

When I first entered AA I couldn't WAIT to help someone else! It was pretty much my sole purpose for being there
Needless to say - I relapsed quite a few times on my way to "helping someone else."
This time around (8 days sober) I go to meetings - and I know my place - it's to shut up and listen to what others have to say - and to be where I AM - I can't help anyone else until I've helped myself... so I'm just concentrating on being a sponge and mopping up others experiences so I can stay sober - so go to AA, try it out, but try not to get into the trap of "when I'm better" - live where you are now, don't pick up, and you'll grow.
Sending good vibes
Lydie
Old 06-02-2012, 06:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

The combination of SR and AA is has helped me stay sober the past few years.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! This forum is helping me save myself....it will help you too. Lots of love, understanding and wisdom here!
Old 06-02-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR catlover

You'll find a lot of methods at play here - AA, SMART, Rational Recovery...there's also things like SOS, Women for Sobriety and Celebrate Recovery (Christian)

here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

I just used SR - I was ready to quit, I was prepared to back that up, and it worked for me

Good to have you with us

D
Old 06-02-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

Yes you too can win....glad you joined us...
Old 06-02-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi catlover.
Im not AA myself but since I have been on SR since march, I've started thinking of going. If only to meet sober people!
I hear you regarding the blimmin' Jubilee! Its non-stop party party party! Oh, then there is the Olympics to sweat through as well. Good grief! Must be tough in Smoke! Hope to see you around here on SR... brilliant support site!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

thank you

Hiya..

it's been lovely receiving so many replies! Hope to get to know you all without alcohol. Have been quite tame the last couple of days considering all that has been going on in london, jubilee etc, have trouble perceiving how to be alcohol free and have fun, be involved etc, think i must try AA lydiebreeze and Zee... just can't shut myself away, causes depression and isolation. Do you think it's ok to go to AA just to meet sober people? I'm wary of the ethos...

Thanks to everyone, i will come here as much as i can...

x