Notices

Hello everybody! 4 1/2 days clean and still going!!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Hello everybody! 4 1/2 days clean and still going!!

Hi everyone!

This would be my first post and hopefully many others to come with it. Like (from what I read) I finally decided enough was enough with the Alcohol after waking up in my fathers workshop, covered in blood and puke and not remembering a thing except my father kicking me telling me to get up. I drew the final straw and decided to get my life together and stop depending on Alcohol to get me through my days.

I've been an Alcohol user roughly since I was 14 (I'm 21 now), I was on and off between 14 and 16. The real mess of drinking nearly everyday began when I was 17 when my parents finally knew and figured it's okay for him to have a few drinks at the house, it's safer then going out to parties. It started like all addictions with "I'm just gonna have a few drinks, I can quit anytime!" or "I won't get addicted!" Few drinks lead to a lot due to my tolerance going up, then finally leading to an everyday occurrence. It started with 4 beers, then 12, then finally by the end I was drinking 15 - 20 beers a day, everyday. Started at noon and didn't stop until I passed out or was so drunk that I could not stand and would fall over and pass out. I was a wreck, many of these nights just blended into each other and there were times I wouldn't remember a weeks worth of activities.

When beer just didn't do it for me anymore I tried my first drink of hard liquor and boy that's where I really got hooked! I started drinking 6 - 7 beers along with an entire pint straight every night and pretty much just lost all control. I was causing so many problems at home that my parents started to really take notice of my erratic drunken behavior. I would cry on random over nothing, pick fights with my dad and attempt suicide once a month because I just figured there was no way out of this horrid cycle. It's been a rough 4 days but I know I can do it and I will do it!

Thank you for reading!
Old 06-01-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Welcome Mitchy,
I have been there! I remember waking up in my parent's garage covered in blood with my eye swollen shut. I thought I could pass it off that I fell off my bed while sleeping and caught the corner of the bedside table. I didn't realize that I left a trail of bloody hand-prints from the scene of the crime. That was the final straw that sent me to rehab for 35 days. It really opened my parents' eyes as to the severity of my problem, so maybe you can look at your situation as a positive in that respect.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

I'm glad you have decided to live a sober life.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((Mitchy)) - Welcome to SR and great on 4-1/2 days!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-01-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Mitchy! You are not alone and we are all here for you. Have you heard of AA? Not all people prescribe to it but a lot of people find that it is very helpful. I go to meetings to meet other people who are in sobriety and to learn a different way to manage my life. Just a thought. Your doing good with 4 days. Congratulations! It's a big step to take. Im proud of you.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You drank like I did Mitchy...Out of control. AA has kept me sober for 11 months...And I was hopeless when I got there. This is a great site for support also. Glad you are here.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sobriety Mitchy - It does work if you want it ... bad. I started at 10 the same way you did, polished my drinking in the Canadian Military and finally decided, after being arrested the 2nd time in a week for Impaired Driving. 1st one I got after flying off the road and rolling my truck.

I did it with A.A. - I don't know of any other way that I'd recommend. With their World Wide help, I've put together 12,491 sober days and 1,079,270,496 sober heart beats (give or take a few thousand)

As we say here - keep on coming back, it works if you work it.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR FredG!....That's a lot of 24hrs...Glad to have you here.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good luck Mitchy! I'm on Day 4 too! I've been reading a lot of the cognitive recovery treatment programs, and a lot of SR, as well as recovery memoirs and books like that. Keep up the great work, and remember lots of folks are in the same boat as you, and can always be here to relate.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome to SR, Mitchy, you have found a great place to be if you are done with being drunk and miserable and anxious and depressed and guilty and ashamed and sick and...

Congratulations on that first step, that decision, that commitment. Keep posting.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Mitchy - welcome to you too FredG
Good to have the both of you here

D