Notices

Day 2 - Is this where the hard part starts?

Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 - Is this where the hard part starts?

A bit of background information, I'm a 26 year old male and I've been drinking every day for the last... at least 7 years, but it might be longer. It used to start with just a few beers and I'd feel a buzz and be content with it. Two days ago I'd need about 8 big cans (half a litre) of strong beer (8.5%) and I wouldn't even be drunk.

I've decided to stop drinking yesterday. I had my last drink around 5am (it takes a long time to finish 8 cans) on the 29th. I woke up around 2pm --which is another reason to stop drinking, it's pretty common for me to stay awake until 6 or 7am and wake up sometime in the afternoon-- and felt I needed to stop. Had to fight the urge to just go to the supermarket and buy myself some more, but I didn't.

In the evening, around 8pm I started to feel very anxious and a bit depressed, because that's when I usually start drinking. I just decided to go to bed at 9pm and woke up today around 10am.

Upon waking up I felt pretty good, took a shower and just went on with the day. Read a few comics on my tablet in the garden and brought an old sofa to the dump. However, every half hour or so, I'd just pop into my mind it'd be great to drink some beer tonight and I really had to fight the urge to not go to the supermarket.

Right now it's just past 5pm and as long as I can tell myself it's not worth it until 7pm, the supermarket will be closed and there'll be no way to get alcohol for at least today.

I've also made a list of reasons not to buy any alcohol:
- A waste of money (10 Euros/day, that's 300 Euros a month)
- The supermarket employees must notice that I'm there nearly every day to buy beer
- I'll stay awake until it's way too early and wake up way too late
- My liver/brain will give up some day if I keep this up
- It's hard to get rid of all the trash it creates

The problem is fighting that damn urge. I know in a few hours I'll become anxious and depressed again. Will this ever get easier? I guess I should be glad I'm not feeling any other side-effects like shaking hands, sweating, feeling sick etc.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you quit drinking it will definately get easier the longer you go without a drink... I used to always think people just "said" that but now after experiencing it for myself I realize that it is true. On the other hand... the longer you continue to drink the HARDER it will get as the effects of alcohol are progressive and cumulative. Making a list of why you don't want to drink is a good start for sure. Why not make a list of how you plan to stay sober now to go along with it? I found that I needed the help of others to quit. Welcome to SR friend!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm only on day 10, and my first few days sucked. Last Saturday was the worst yet, but I'm feeling better now. I'm sure I'll have more crappy days ahead, but at least I know what a good day feels like, which will help me get through it. Hang in there and don't drink. Go outside, exercise, watch a movie, whatever works for you to keep your mind off of it. Keep posting here, we'll encourage you. You'll get through the worst of it, and you'll see how strong you are.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

It will get easier, but you are most likely gonna have a sour mood and be anxious for a few days. How your body adjusts is different for everybody, but if you start to feel alcohol withdrawal symptoms, you should see a doctor. Otherwise, try to eat healthy and stay sober! Good luck!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It does get easier. Reading this article might help -- it really helped me in the first few days:

Sober Recovery Articles » Urge Surfing
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I actually feel much better than I did yesterday. About to watch a soccer match on TV and I've got a good reason not to drink for another 2 days; just pre-ordered Max Payne 3 worth 4 days of drinking money. I just can't allow myself to buy any beer now
Old 05-30-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I noticed that all my urges contained some sort of drinking picture. Seeing myself drinking and having a blast. To me that's my addictive voice tricking me into giving it what it wants....PLEASURE....it talks to me alot. Now I recognize it and and it's getting to where it's lessoned since I don't give it it's way. Second month sober. Keep it up and don't give in. You'll regret it and have to start all over.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It gets easier as you go. Most likely not as quick as you would like, but that's the case with most things.

Eating sweets helps a lot (eating regular meals in general isn't bad either), and if you believe in God you my ask him for help.... if you don't believe in God but have ever said "Got get me out of this one" in the back of a police car you can give it a whirl too.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yo Procrastinator.

I am a similar age to you and had familiar drinking habits. I found the first night the toughest, it gets a little easier day by day. I also found that comuter games made the time pass when I had early cravings. Starcraft 2 was my thing. I have had to find more constructive methods though. Computer games are a quick fix .

Welcome aboard the sober wagon!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I`m glad you`re doing well, and I hope you keep posting.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

the hard part for me was the 36 years it took to finally get to the point of desperation.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I found year 2 to be about the hardest.

Wishing everyone the best.

Bob R
Old 05-30-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, Procastrinator!

I'm on day 3 and this has been my hardest day so far but I'm finding that coming to this forum and reading the posts makes a huge difference for me. So I hope you keep coming back to read and post and so share with this incredible fellowship of people.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Procrastinator

Y'know...just from your list..I honestly believe that one of the best things about being sober is not having to buy the bloody stuff...everyday..and then having to dispose of the evidence! I live alone so it wasn't even that much of a big deal but it really took so much work just buying the amount of beer I was drinking!

That said, have you thought of throwing yourself into any kind of recovery program. It may help. Or at least just hang out here a lot I found that by constantly thinking about how to recover I didn't have time to think about drinking.

Glad you're here x
Old 05-31-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So yesterday after I posted I watched a soccer match on TV, then watched some TV shows on my computer, followed by a bit of YouTube, went to bed at 2am and kept reading comics on my tablet till 3am.

Today (day 3) I woke up at 12am and continued the trend of reading comics. The urge to get more beer is surely becoming less, I'm no longer on the verge of just leaving the house and doing it like on the first day. Doesn't mean it's not easy though. Every time I see someone drink on TV I'm just jealous, but I think (hope) I can keep it up. I try to avoid the supermarket and let other people get stuff for me like soft drinks and cigarettes

No psychical withdrawal symptoms whatsoever, which I'm happy about. Still feeling a bit down in the evening/night, because that's when I'd usually be hammering down beer.

Is it normal for me to be eating a lot more? Normally I'd have dinner + some kind of snack in the evening, right now I eat lunch + some snack in the afternoon + dinner + some snack in the evening.

I'm trying to get a healthier sleeping schedule. It's normal for me to go to bed around 3am, since I've been working graveyard shifts in the past, so going to bed at 3am and waking up between 10-12am is good enough for me.

I also think the cigarettes are keeping me in check a bit. I don't smoke that much (about 10 a day) and I certainly don't feel like giving that one up for a while

Also only 21 hours left for Max Payne 3! So happy I met my goal of not drinking for 4 days tomorrow. Feels like I've earned it