Notices

Think about quitting?

Old 05-31-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crewisms View Post
*I would rotate my alcohol purchases through multiple locations so none of the folks serving me at the counter would think I had a drinking problem.

*I avoided answering the phone when I was drunk. That way the person on the other end wouldn’t have to draw unwanted conclusions from my slurred words.

I'm glad I wasn't the only person doing this...
Old 05-31-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

wow! we have very similar lists. nice to know Im not alone. sheesh
Old 05-31-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by crewisms View Post
And rather than dive into and obsessing about any singular method of obtaining and retaining sobriety, I’m using what works for me from AA, AVRT, Christianity and any other source I can find that fits my personality and my belief system.
Crewisms, not only does your list harken me back to my drinking days up into 1981 (things don't change so much, do they), but I hear two things from you that remind me of how I quit booze once and for all AVRT-style:
1) your open honesty shows a desire to allow your loved ones to become aware that you are taking personal responsibility for all of your behavior, and
2) your optimism so soon after quitting comes across as revealing you know something about self-confidence, your addiction, and how to beat it that is completely appropriate and indicates you have some knowledge of AVRT.

Congratulations, I know you may already have confidently decided that you have taken the last drink OF YOUR LIFE. The vast portion of the internal struggle may very well be over for you as you recognize and separate whatever you DO from your AV THOUGHTS and FEELINGS. Getting on with your life with your family can get back on a solid track at whatever pace you choose.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Crewisms! That was fantastic - you have helped many today, I'm sure. Including me - I can always use another reminder.

The list made me cringe, cry and smile. Your horror story is very similar to mine. (I'm glad your sense of humor is in tact - it comes in handy.) Congratulations on Day 5. You're going to kick this thing and go on to have a wonderful life. No more foggy, numb, miserable days.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wow, that made me cry. Best of luck to you, crewisms. :ghug3
Old 05-31-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind words. I found something special here in SR and I'm holding it tight. And I found something extraordinary in joining the SR May 2012 class!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Here goes nothing

Well to explain a bit about myself, im 28 and have been drinking solidly for the last five years. It started 4 years into college when friends of mine were graduating and i still had 2 years remaining. Socially I always felt really awkward and down around people since I didn't feel my social skills were very good even though I had good friends. When I first began to drink by myself it felt great because I didn't have to deal with those feelings and also with the stress of not knowing what the hell I was doing with my life, as I was expected by my dad to be an engineer,nthough I was struggling immensely with school. I knew my family had a history of alcohol abuse, which kept me in check for a while.

Anyways, I'm at a point where I see pictures of myself and see how Ive letnfriendships go to hell and it is soo depressing. A girl i dated recently commented that she noticed how ive changed my look, and that i was still attractive. Backhanded compliments like that reinforce the damage that im doing to myself which makes me want to drink even more. If you're in a similar place you know how much the feeling sucks. I don't have anyone I can really go to with this, soo this is my first real time confessing my problem.

I don't know where to start with any of this so if you have any thoughts or want to share or know more feel free to contact me. It would be very appreciated.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Cali -- I'd say "Here goes something!". You're here, you've taken a beautiful first step and you'll find an arms-wide-open welcome here in SR. This forum is what's working for me right now, and I can say with conviction that the folks in here will embrace you with care and support that is beyond anything I expected or imagined. What works for one, may or may not work for another, so explore and read, and explore some more and I pray you find YOUR way :-). Congrats on having the courage to post. And know it's ok to start a new thread in the newcomer's forum!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Californication

Support was very important to me when I quit, and I know you'll find a lot of support here and a lot of ideas too.

Feel free to start your own thread too - you'll get more response that way - just hit the big blue New Thread button at the top left of the main forum page
Newcomers to Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
D
Old 06-06-2012, 12:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the kind thoughts! Tomorrow is day 7! I really appreciate the insightful and thought-out responses.

I didn't mean to post my own issue on another's thread haha; guess i'll have to figure this site out going forward, though I love it so far.

Thanks again
Old 06-06-2012, 01:21 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
SoberDreams

"I would rotate my alcohol purchases through multiple locations so none of the folks serving me at the counter would think I had a drinking problem."

Been there... Thank you for your post.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post

Hi there, this is my VERY first post on SR even though I have been lurking for a few weeks. I will start my own thread to share but I want to let you know that your posts (and everyone's response) really struck a chord in me. I miss the confidence, the self care and self respect that I sense that you are picking up again, and that inspires me. Reminds me of what I used to be too. Thank you.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:41 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR sandra756!...Glad you are here.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Sandra! Wonderful to have you join us. I felt so much better when I came here & found I wasn't alone anymore.