Notices

Hate the word "NORMAL"

Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hate the word "NORMAL"

That word is use to description what we all want to be, "normal". Why should I try to be normal and just be myself. Hey, normal people can drink. Why because it's illegal? Normal people should not have thoughts about the same sex (not me just proving a point). It's okay to be 40 years old and play video games. If you enjoy it and don't hurt on anyone then why not? Normal guys enjoy sports. Why should I watch people playing a game when I'm not making any money on it. Does not seem fun to me.

I'm just saying that normal is not truly normal be be as. Sorry just want to post that on here when I'm trying to sober up!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Action I too need a word to describe my sobriety. Normal for me was being an alcoholic/drug addict
Old 05-29-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neferkamichael View Post
Action I too need a word to describe my sobriety. Normal for me was being an alcoholic/drug addict
But in the general public alcoholic is not normal. I'm just saying!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Society sets how words are used. A crowd of people who give a word a meaning, always has power over someone who tries to describe a word by themselves.

I don't like the word "Normal" either. We're too obsessed with trying to look and be what society calls normal or perfect, but it's only harming what we do.

Take care of yourself and live a life that suits your needs. Quitting drinking was your first step, now it's time to get your life where you want it and live happy.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I don't know Action...why worry about bein so "normal", know what I mean? Takes all kinds right? I sometimes hang with crowds where I get this look when I say I don't hunt...I could be an alien and get the same look. I don't drink...not normal. Speaking of video games...I play em, not quite normal. I like to take a vacation and just hang around the house...not normal. Grown man and I love Halloween...not normal. Yet, with these things, many people find interesting. Anyway...hang in there.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry Ghostly but humans want to be normal. Does not many if it's race, gender or religion. Normal is what we want. It's what we want in life. If I was just white, I would have that job. If only I was straight my parents would love me. If I only could go to a bar people will think of me better. It comes down to the normal thing. We are not normal. Everyone is different and fitting that normal thinkings is bad. Very bad. We are we. We can't change that.

Thanks for reading. :-)
Old 05-29-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very bad you say? That we are we, can't change that...

Yea, early sobriety really does suck... Thanks for the reminder, LOL... I haven't felt like that for a couple of years now, I used to, now I wouldn't want to substantively change anything I my life.

Everyone doesn't want to be normal, they just want to be happy and at peace with the world. Your line of thinking in this thread is not helping you. The journey is not about finding yourself, or being normal... No it's about becoming yourself. Get recovered so you don't go on beating yourself up.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Normal is completely subjective and it really has no meaning to me.

People we think are 'normal' are probably crazy as hell in their own way.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm disabled, I have a stutter, I'm an addict and alcoholic...I've also been a professional musician, an academic...I've been single for most of my life.

I wanted to be normal all my life - I spent most of my life trying to fit in.
Of course the sting was I never fitted in anywhere lol.

Don't get stuck behind a roadblock of your own making act10n.

What recovery has given me is the peace that comes with knowing the only thing I have to 'fit in' with is myself.

When I've done the work to fix those things in me I can fix, when I'm comfortable with who I am, I don't need to alter my reality...and like minded people are attracted to me.

It's ironic, but once I stopped worrying about fitting in, and once I stopped being upset about who I was, I became part of the world again.

Be whoever it is you want to be - it's amazingly freeing

D
Old 05-29-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yes, normal is purely subjective. can you use "healthy" instead? healthy works better for me.

hope this helps!

love from Lenina
Old 05-29-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

^ Dee...that truly rocked man. Nice post. Your wise take on things is calming.

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Everyone doesn't want to be normal, they just want to be happy and at peace with the world. Your line of thinking in this thread is not helping you. The journey is not about finding yourself, or being normal... No it's about becoming yourself. Get recovered so you don't go on beating yourself up.
Thanks for this too Mark...good points.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So going against the trend here I actually like that word. Because normal is subjective and after I lost my mom I got the advice that things don't "go back to normal" or you don't become just like every "normal person" out there you create a new normal that's just for you.

That's how I'm trying to think of sobriety I'm not becoming normal in the sense that I'm becoming just like everyone else. I'm creating a new normal for myself, my normal day used to be planning how I would get drunk that night or how I could survive my day with my hangover from last night. My new normal is something that involves anything but that, and no one has the same definition of normal. So I yes I very much want to be "normal"
Old 05-29-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Great post Dee....

Same here. Spent most (all - possibly) of my life trying to be normal.

One of the problems with that is "they" were all showing me their stage characters. Ppl don't walk around and talk (usually) about their sexual dysfunction, their marital issues, how their kids are always in trouble, how they're lazy, how they're afraid of things, how they can't seem to cope with life some days.......so on and so forth. From my perspective, "they" all seem to have life figured out. And if they do, and I don't...something's GOT to be wrong with me. So I'd try, or hide, or steal, or con, or just plain lie......putting up a front that I wanted "them" to see so I could fit in with my (mis)conception of what they were.

It's all a big facade.......everyone pretending to be something they're not and everyone else believing it. It's like one big dog continually chasing it's tail. ............and it just doesn't work (not for me anyway).

.......until I found recovery. By and large, here's a group of ppl who consistently put their crap on the table. Ppl who've found that by showing their a$$ from time to time, they get free of the delusion that they don't measure up. Ppl who, when we're honest, generally DO go through life happily. --funny thing though......that came at the expense of putting down allllllll those goofy tools (the lying, the pretending, the acting, etc) and just trying to be the REAL me. Amazingly, "you" didn't kick me to the curb like I was sure you would.....Amazingly, being honest worked (I guess I'd never really tried it before).......amazingly, a fair amount of the time I have THE life I always wanted.......only it came by living almost completely differently than I would have thought/believed I needed to live.

Sobriety and recovery are a great deal......it just seems so ABnormal..... lol -- I suppose it's a good thing it IS so different - if it was the same as what I HAD been doing, it wouldn't give me much different results than I had received in the past.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

People my whole life have called me "crazy"
It's a word that I HATE.
I'm not crazy I'm interesting!!!!
Marilyn said
"If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best"

Normal Schmormal
Old 05-30-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Normal is a setting on my washing machine ........

Today I'm sober and still a little crazy. No, make that eccentric .....

All the best.

Bob R