Notices

Day 1

Old 05-29-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Today is day one for me again. I have been drinking for 28 years and have had probably 30 or 40 day 1's.my husband is fed up with my drinking habits but this is how I deal with everything. I went a year without drinking but I went back. I have a difficult time dealing with things in my life. Alcohol has always allowed me to just forget the problem and move on.but I am getting to old for this.my husband is so reserved and angry a lot.the fact that I am sharing on this online forum would really bother him.so when I am attempting to recover and make a new life for myself I think it is expected that I do it quietly and secretly. All I know is I want it to work this time
Old 05-29-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Reaching out for help is a great start on the path to recovery. And, ive found that problems in life are much easier to deal with while sober rather than drinking them away
Old 05-29-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Robinz...What worked before to keep you sober a year...And why did it stop working?
Old 05-29-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I was pregnant I did not drink so that was 2 9 month periods and when I stopped drinking for a year I read alot but was always so frustrated with my weekly issues.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

Originally Posted by Robinz View Post
...the fact that I am sharing on this online forum would really bother him.so when I am attempting to recover and make a new life for myself I think it is expected that I do it quietly and secretly. All I know is I want it to work this time
If your husband is tired of your drinking, why would he not support whatever it took for you to recovery. What if you need face-to-face support, like AA? Is he going to be against that? Or are you making an assumption?

Perhaps you can talk with him and sound him out. Tell him how important his support of your recovery (and how you choose to do that) is.

Sober Recovery is a great support tool...and anonymous. Nothing for him to be concerned about.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I was pregnant I did not drink so that was 2 9 month periods and when I stopped drinking for a year I read alot but was always so frustrated with my weekly issues.
Maybe you need a few more tools to make it work....I use AA...But if that would bother your husband...Maybe you should look into AVRT....That you can do on your own...Somebody will be along to tell you more about it...I wish you the best...This is a great site for support...Use it...Read and post when you can.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would like to continue using this site. I did try when I was not drinking for that year but I guess I have.a hard time figuring out how it is going to work for me.
I will talk to my husband. Thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have.a hard time figuring out how it is going to work for me.
If I can give you any advice...It would be don't stop trying till you find something that does....There is hope for people like us...Hang on to it.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Robinz. You sound a lot like me at the end of my drinking days. I could no longer handle it the way I once did. I was out of control, and no amount I drank was enough. The days of it being fun or relaxing were long gone. It brought me nothing but danger and misery.

I hope you'll stay and keep reading & posting. I was a long term drinker, too - but I have over 4 yrs. sober. You can do it.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Robinz. Yesterday was my Day 1 and my hope for both of us is to stay sober and reclaim our lives, day by day.

Saskia
Old 05-29-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes it never winds up good really.
At least you were able to handle the alcohol early on.
I never drank responsibly and I always have had this problem.
Congratulations on four years
Old 05-29-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on Day 1.....Don't drink today.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the support
You don't even know me but I was feeling really bad and you all made me feel like I can be stronger
Old 05-29-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hey Robinz,

Well done on starting again!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

I strongly suggest Al Anon for him and AA for you. It's not the meetings that keep us sober, it's working the steps of recovery.

I wish you well!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Today is day one for me again. I have been drinking for 28 years and have had probably 30 or 40 day 1's.my husband is fed up with my drinking habits but this is how I deal with everything. I went a year without drinking but I went back. I have a difficult time dealing with things in my life. Alcohol has always allowed me to just forget the problem and move on.but I am getting to old for this.my husband is so reserved and angry a lot.the fact that I am sharing on this online forum would really bother him.so when I am attempting to recover and make a new life for myself I think it is expected that I do it quietly and secretly. All I know is I want it to work this time
Are you going to AA Robin ?? ....

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 05-29-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!