Notices

Yesterday

Old 05-29-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Yesterday

Yesterday was really hard for me, much harder than I anticipated.

My niece on my husband's side and three kids came over. They are three innocent and loving, but extremely unruly, undisciplined bratty kids. My niece IMHO, is entirely too young and immature to be raising the three. We've had a rocky relationship as a result but I've tried my hardest to support her.

So they all came over for a belated birthday for the one kid and a general bbq get together. The kids are nonstop fighting, screaming, crying, temper tantrumming. Niece does minimal damage control.

We finally get to the birthday gift and my nephew opens the gift, drops the book and kicks it across the floor and tosses the t-shirt aside. So disappointing.

They spent hours and hours at our house, playing video games and generally wearing me down. Before I knew it, I found myself downing soda water like it was going out of style. I was stressed to the max.

Once they finally leave, I found myself craving a drink. Hardcore. It felt like a stress response. I tried to lay down, relax. Ate some ice cream cake. Cooked dinner. More ice cream cake. Finally I took a shower and read myself to sleep.

UGH!!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Also meant to say, that early on I posted on FB about my 30 days, just a short note. Niece latched on to it right away. I ended up deleting the thread and giving her a vague response when she questioned me.

At dessert yesterday, she said, I thought dessert was your least favorite meal? I said, oh I love dessert now! She says, oh, is this post-sobriety?

She didn't say it with any type of meanness but for some reason I felt like it was a dig. My husband thinks I'm being overly sensitive and he's probably right. But with her it feels like she's digging. I just answered "yes" and let it go. She didn't push. It just feels like she's always watching me - drinking soda water and whatnot. I drank pretty heavily around her before.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know exactly where you are coming from. My wife's sister went through a divorce and recently was evicted from her apartment because she couldn't pay. As a result she has been living with us the last 5 months. She has two girls that are disrespectful to adults and always fight and yell at each other. I was at the end of my rope this weekend and almost gave in to just "one drink." Thankfully I didn't but its was really hard to resist. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one dealing with this on my day off. Good job refusing to drink!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Way to handle a stressful situation. Look at the bright side, they stayed a few hours and left. Your neice has that every day.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Way to handle a stressful situation. Look at the bright side, they stayed a few hours and left. Your neice has that every day.
Good lord, no kidding. Glad it's not my life. I also just realized after reading OCDan's post, that this was my first sober Memorial Day in I don't know how many years. I'd say at least 15 years.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by gordano View Post
I know exactly where you are coming from. My wife's sister went through a divorce and recently was evicted from her apartment because she couldn't pay. As a result she has been living with us the last 5 months. She has two girls that are disrespectful to adults and always fight and yell at each other. I was at the end of my rope this weekend and almost gave in to just "one drink." Thankfully I didn't but its was really hard to resist. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one dealing with this on my day off. Good job refusing to drink!
Oh my. That sounds extremely stressful. I tried a variety of ways to relax my brain, finally bed time did it.
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
I posted on FB about my 30 days, just a short note.
There are some things Facebook is great for, I guess. Posting recovery milestones isn't one them.

That's what we are here for. Congrats on 30!
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
There are some things Facebook is great for, I guess. Posting recovery milestones isn't one them.

That's what we are here for. Congrats on 30!
Oh yeah, I know!!! That was about 4 months ago. I celebrate 5 months tomorrow!!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds like she's jealous of you. You did a good job keeping your head. Selfish people want others to fail so they will feel better about their own failures.
That may not be true in her case but in general.
Anyway, you rose above the temptation & you are now stronger for it.
Way to go!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

That was about 4 months ago. I celebrate 5 months tomorrow!!
Even better. Congrats X 5
Old 05-29-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nice job Lost...Those are just tests life throws at us...And a good reminder it's just something that a drink won't make any better. Is your niece a drinker?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh my. That sounds extremely stressful. I tried a variety of ways to relax my brain, finally bed time did it.
I just closed myself off in my air conditioned bed room and read Rational Recovery (AVRT). When I get an urge to drink I usually either pick up this or the Big Book. It helps me stay focused on my sobriety.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

You made it through without a drink! Way to go!!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Purplecatlover View Post
Sounds like she's jealous of you. You did a good job keeping your head. Selfish people want others to fail so they will feel better about their own failures.
That may not be true in her case but in general.
Anyway, you rose above the temptation & you are now stronger for it.
Way to go!
I never thought of it that way. I'm certain she has those feelings regarding our lifestyle. We chose to not have kids, own a house, cars, have great jobs, and travel a lot. All things she does not have. She chose to have a child at 17, then 2 more, then leave her husband and live in a crappy apt. in a crappy neighborhood. She's finished high school and that's it. My husband helped her get a job at his work.

Wow, now that I'm typing that I realize just how bad off she is. I've always felt bad for her but now I feel really bad. I cooked this awesome meal yesterday and packed up all the heavy leftovers and gave them to her. That felt good.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Nice job Lost...Those are just tests life throws at us...And a good reminder it's just something that a drink won't make any better. Is your niece a drinker?
She has been a drinker lately. Posting drunken pics on FB and drunken posts. She's always drank come to think of it. I'm sure she's noticed the lack of booze in my house. Our house is always the place of family get togethers.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I just closed myself off in my air conditioned bed room and read Rational Recovery (AVRT). When I get an urge to drink I usually either pick up this or the Big Book. It helps me stay focused on my sobriety.
So smart. I hid in the kitchen. You know, lately I've been neglecting my AA duties. I'm meeting my sponsor tonight and will try for a meeting very soon. Really smart of you on having a recovery book nearby.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
You made it through without a drink! Way to go!!
So funny, I don't think of these things any more. You are right. Thank you.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So smart. I hid in the kitchen. You know, lately I've been neglecting my AA duties. I'm meeting my sponsor tonight and will try for a meeting very soon. Really smart of you on having a recovery book nearby.
Thanks, I actually have 5 recovery books by my bed stand in case of an emergency. My wife's sister walked in there one day and made a comment about how bad my alcoholism must be since I have so many books on the subject. I just smiled and told her I would do anything it takes to stay sober and 5 books was only scratching the surface of my commitment. It did bother me though since she is a daily drinker (at least a six pack a night), and she probably could improve her life dramatically if she didn't drink, but she needs to realize this for herself. I can only worry about my own sobriety.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

It did bother me though...
Which part bothered you?

I'm sensitive about my alcoholism. I've only told a few select that I'm very close to.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

You might be the catalyst your niece needs so she can stay stopped, too. Her children's behavior may improve if Mommy's behavior improves. Something to think about.

Enjoy another sober day!~