Notices

day 16 sober update and going stir crazy

Old 05-29-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 16 sober update and going stir crazy

hey all.

I know I probably should have stuck to the same thread when I first started this journey. However, I will just update this thread.

I find that I'm bored! I am laid off, so wow I clean, deal with my plants... Re-potting, etc. I'm exercising more... Trying to work up to jogging.

my blood pressure is back to awesome! I feel good, have lost about 6 pounds this past 2 weeks.

entertained yesterday for memorial day. No one was drinking. I haven't had any cravings, but wow I am bored and no buzz to help the boredom. It sucks. I think I'll wash and wax my car today.

what on earth else can I find to do? I have all this energy and a lot of the reason my drinking got even worse was due to the boredom and depression.

any ideas from any of you that are stuck at home? I have shopped enough, can't spend more money. I would repaint the whole inside of this place, but we rent.

other than that, I feel good. Haven't been to AA don't feel I need it to stay sober, but maybe I could at least make some new friends there that are in my same position? I have been trying to locate some partners for jogging surfing the day.

I am going so stir crazy!

sorry for the typos- I'm on a touchpad, the auto-correct sucks. When I just put auto-correct without the dash it changed the word to WordPerfect. I need to turn that feature off!

I'm going nuts!

-RDY
Old 05-29-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Get out into your community and do some volunteer work.

It's a great way to meet new people and to give back.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Get to a meeting and start making friends. You don't have to work the steps.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

a couple good ideas... I'll check out the AA schedule and make some calls regarding volunteering.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you have a dog that would enjoy some extra attention and training? Have you thought of checking out meetup.com to find some fitness buddies? What about a healthy cooking class? (For me, sobriety and healthy eating go hand in hand.) By the way, yoga is awesome. If you find the right yogi, it's better than awesome. If budget is an issue (or even if it's not), you can find free activities at community centers, parks, and libraries. You could take up a new hobby. I've been trying my hand at Chinese brush painting, and it's really soothing, even though I'm not so great at it.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rdytoquit View Post
Haven't been to AA don't feel I need it to stay sober, but maybe I could at least make some new friends there that are in my same position?
Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rdytoquit View Post
hey all.

I know I probably should have stuck to the same thread when I first started this journey. However, I will just update this thread.

I find that I'm bored! I am laid off, so wow I clean, deal with my plants... Re-potting, etc. I'm exercising more... Trying to work up to jogging.

my blood pressure is back to awesome! I feel good, have lost about 6 pounds this past 2 weeks.

entertained yesterday for memorial day. No one was drinking. I haven't had any cravings, but wow I am bored and no buzz to help the boredom. It sucks. I think I'll wash and wax my car today.

what on earth else can I find to do? I have all this energy and a lot of the reason my drinking got even worse was due to the boredom and depression.

any ideas from any of you that are stuck at home? I have shopped enough, can't spend more money. I would repaint the whole inside of this place, but we rent.

other than that, I feel good. Haven't been to AA don't feel I need it to stay sober, but maybe I could at least make some new friends there that are in my same position? I have been trying to locate some partners for jogging surfing the day.

I am going so stir crazy!

sorry for the typos- I'm on a touchpad, the auto-correct sucks. When I just put auto-correct without the dash it changed the word to WordPerfect. I need to turn that feature off!

I'm going nuts!

-RDY
I also felt like I was going crazier and crazier everyday,even though I had quit..... until i walked into AA and realized that my dis-ease was screaming inside me at the top of my lungs,telling me to screw up and that I would never be normal and all that nonsense.
Then I walked into an AA meeting and met people who are just as looney as I am! Ain't that swell lol!!

you don't have to work steps or get a sponsor or whatever,but I do think that no one can do this alone.... I couldn't anyway

all the best! x

Will
Old 05-29-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Makes perfect sense to me.
yep,I agree,that is a good attitude to have.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Luling View Post
Do you have a dog that would enjoy some extra attention and training? Have you thought of checking out meetup.com to find some fitness buddies? What about a healthy cooking class? (For me, sobriety and healthy eating go hand in hand.) By the way, yoga is awesome. If you find the right yogi, it's better than awesome. If budget is an issue (or even if it's not), you can find free activities at community centers, parks, and libraries. You could take up a new hobby. I've been trying my hand at Chinese brush painting, and it's really soothing, even though I'm not so great at it.
nope. No pets... Can't have pets here... So just alone. I've never heard of Chinese brush painting. I'll look it up! I am an artsy person. I also love to refinish furniture but I have nowhere to do it, no garage. This condo doesn't allow room for activities I enjoy. I used to paint (acrylic). I'll look into suggestions and at least get my exercise in, then wash the car, I also have some Pilates DVD's and yoga also. I've looked on meet-up - not much going on. People work, lol.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hey rdytoquit,

Well done!

Have you thought of using some of your time to update some of your skills?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

RD,
Get to meetings it really helps to be around people and do the steps. I have been unable to get to meetings for 3 months, yesterday I made 2 meetings and today I will attend another 2 before going back home.
Like you I would drink when I was bored not when I was depressed though. Alcohol added to my depression and I realize to my boredom. I have really started doing things now instead of just thinking about it.
You have heaps of time now you are unemployed to get to meetings.

caiHong
Old 05-29-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I hear you! Boredom is my biggest enemy now that I'm sober. It's been about 6 months since I had a relapse, which came about when I decided to try internet dating and got into slippery situations. There's only so many walks I can take and books I can read haha. However, being bored is better than being being drunk and angry!
Old 05-29-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know just how you feel. It's driving me nuts also, just don't know what to do but hang in there
Old 05-29-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Volunteer and community work absolutely worked for me too rdy...

D
Old 06-03-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Unhappy Well, 3 weeks today

I physically feel ok.. other than the fact it's "that time of the month" I've been irritable.

I am starting to now question my life and why on earth I have been living with this man. I could do it drinking, but wow... we have nothing in common but watching TV.

I've been exercising, was doing C25K, but I pushed myself a bit hard, so I have to rest my ankle for a couple of days.

Still bored out of my mind and depression is starting to kick in.

I just want to sleep and for the day to be over... nothing to look forward to. I feel no general purpose. I feel as though I am not contributing a thing. I feel worthless.

I would like to add I am not craving a drink. I know it wouldn't help, if I caved and drank, It would just intensify this depression.

Now I can't even get my mood up. I can't run and get the high from exercise.

Life is just sucking right now and I felt so good there for awhile. The boredom is just getting intolerable and turning into depression...

Oh and this strange man (boyfriend I think) I have been living with really is hard to talk to about this... I really believe he is from Mars, and lives on the damn couch, or the computer all f'ing day.

Sorry about the bad mood and venting...

-RDY

If I had a job I would be OUT OF HERE.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's all about making changes in your life...Sounds like you need to make some changes.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's all about making changes in your life...Sounds like you need to make some changes.
Makes me wonder if I tolerated this "relationship" due to the alcohol.

No intimacy. NOTHING.

I live vicariously through romantic movies. No sh!t!

Believe me, I want to work. Just haven't had luck landing a job here locally, which in itself sucks.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No kidding...Sometimes you remove the alcohol and life appears.....It can be a rude awakening.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No kidding...Sometimes you remove the alcohol and life appears.....It can be a rude awakening.
You've got that right. With A LOT of clarity.