Notices

So annoyed with myself

Old 05-29-2012, 12:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So annoyed with myself

Slipped up yesterday. I got drunk, not to the point of falling down and passing out right there on the floor, but still drunk. I had made it 17 days. And now here I am, 2a.m., and I can't go back to sleep because alcohol always gives me insomnia. I can remember most of the evening, so I am not having the usual panic attack about "oh my God, what the hell did i do that I can't remember". So no extreme anxiety, just extreme disappointment with myself. I am not really sure exactly why I purchased the wine while I was at the grocery store yesterday. I wasn't even having any huge cravings at the time.

So I think it's time for me to find an AA meeting for me to attend. I am not going to be able to 'white knuckle' through this by myself. I am very nervous about going to AA and working tqhrugh all the steps, but I am willing to give it a shot. There are several different groups in myq town, how do I know which one to go to?
Old 05-29-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I just went to the first one that was available. Over time I've been to open, closed, mixed gender, single gender, speaker, sharing, Big Book, 12x12. Over time I've found the meetings I like more than others. I can't think of a single meeting that was a complete waste of my time.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try several different meetings, several times until you find one you are comfortable with.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you drank, but I'm glad you're back balldawger - and it's great you're thinking about what you need to add to your programme

I really hope you can make this your turning point

D
Old 05-29-2012, 02:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bulldawger View Post
I am very nervous about going to AA and working tqhrugh all the steps, but I am willing to give it a shot. There are several different groups in myq town, how do I know which one to go to?
Everybody is nervous...That just means you're normal...You have several groups?...Give them all a try. Willing is the key word here.....Being willing can solve your problem. Be sure and let us know how you are doing...And check out this site. Wishing you the best.

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 05-29-2012, 02:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bulldawger -
I realized 2 years ago that I was an "actual" alchoholic - not just a heavy drinker anymore.
I went to my first meeting and cried through the whole thing (and the whole night before as well)
I was terrified to go - and the truth for me was that the first meeting for me scared me so much that I didn't go back for a good 3 months. (everyone came up to me wanting my number - scared the crap out of me)
And my drinking got worse -
All I'm saying is this - it's 2 years later and I'm comfortable in ANY AA meeting - I might not like being there - but the people there - they're YOU - and they understand.
Set your own boundaries right now since you're just starting (i.e. don't let them all hug you if you dont like that) but DO take numbers and DO keep going - it all seems corny at first - but THIS drunk believes it actually does work - eventually...
Old 05-29-2012, 02:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Good luck with what ever you choose. Don't beat yourself up, it is hard to break free in the beginning. It helps to be objective.

I never found "why" questions helped me. I was addicted - that was reason enough.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Are you in GA? If you happen to be in the Atlanta area I can suggest some specific meetings. If not, just pick one close to you. On the net most places have the meeting type listed. And if you can, go to a newcomers meeting. Good luck, you are taking an important step!
Old 05-29-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Also listen to xa-speakers.org for AA speakers. They are just recorded talks by various people.

Try all of the meetings. Know that each meeting can be different, even the same meeting each week.

Glad you are here!