Notices

My Mother.....

Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

My Mother.....

Finally went to her house after not hearing from her and found her in bad shape.

Been on a binge for over a week and not eating. On top of that she has mild schizophrenia when sober but it becomes very bad when she's drunk.

She even thinks I was out to get her. I finally got her to eat and I put her in a detox hospital which is very very expensive for just 3 days.

My Mother doesn't have any money to speak of except for a small SS check each month.

Is there any State aid or program available for her in California?

I can afford this detox and a one month in patient program but not much after that.

Any help or guidance to what might be available would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your mothers situation HF.

I have no local knowledge beyond the national database of treatment facilities but you may find something in your general area here:

Find Substance Abuse and Mental Health Treatment

perhaps others will have ideas about help options?

D
Old 05-28-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

Lots of good info there. Thanx Dee.

BTW, Good to see ya again.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

and you - I hope you'll find a way to get your mom the help she needs HF

D
Old 05-28-2012, 10:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

She sounds just like my mother and I wish I could tell you she got sober in the end. But about the time I got sober, mum really started hitting the bottle. We tried everything she had two rehabs totalling 16 weeks or more, both institutions having good track records, and of course I wheeled in the very best sponsors that AA had to offer. None of that worked. When my Dad died she had to be detoxed in the ER, then went into a home in her 60s because she couldn't look after herself. Got kicked out of a home, so we tried an "intervention" no go. She simply doesn't want to stop. There is little of my real mum left, she is just a seething pit of resentment who wants to die. She hates everyone in the family and will not see or speak to anyone. A while ago a Iccepted that in this case, again the disease had me beat, and I detached with love. My children haven't seen their grandma for years and she shows no interest in them..
Oh well, what can you do? If they don't want your help, there isn't much really.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Might be a huge waste of money if she's not ready to accept that type of help.. is she?

Sorry you're dealing with this. Maybe the detox will help her see things clearly and help her with a long term plan for her recovery, if she's ready.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
Might be a huge waste of money if she's not ready to accept that type of help.. is she?

Sorry you're dealing with this. Maybe the detox will help her see things clearly and help her with a long term plan for her recovery, if she's ready.
She is willing. She knows this is the last chance for her. We've been through this too many times and we don't want to see her die.