Notices

Looking For Work @ 7 Days

Old 05-27-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking For Work @ 7 Days

I am so grateful for all the support and encouragement I received on my posting yesterday. I decided to share some more, it sure beats the alternative of giving in the the negative voice in my head and doing something that is self-destructive in the long-term.

I have been sober for a whole week now and it is really starting to hit me how much work I have to do to continue on the path to reach my goals.

I am unemployed right now, I haven't worked for 3 years, and I have never held down a job for more than a couple of months.

I don't really have much experience working or even good references to give potential employers.

Plus, I am afraid. I am afraid that I won't be able to find a job and I am afraid that I will be able to find one but it will be too much for me to handle.

I have worked really hard to get myself to the point that I am at right now. I have quit using, quit boozing, and completed years of therapy. I am 3 weeks away from completing a year of college.

This is another step towards getting my life on track and being an independent, responsible adult.

I know that it's really insane to just want to run away by getting drunk and not thinking about it because everything will still be there in the morning and I will feel like a sloth.

I guess that I am just trying to motivate myself to be brave and just do what needs to be done one step at a time without giving into the feelings of not being good enough to work at a decent job.

Thank you for reading, I needed to let this out.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Remember flyer, for responcible adults (and that incudes college grads), there is no such thing as work that is below one's status. Work itself, any job, is honorable. Moreso, whatever job you do, you will have agreed to do it for a given wage, so do your very very best regardless of what you are paid. This is the only way to really advance in life and in charicter.

For now, in addition to getting your ducks in a row in terms of safety shoes (steel toe) and good work clothes, find out where the temp agencies are in your area. You can find them often posting on such sites as MSN careers. Bring the number of jobs your looking at down to the last three days to get a sense of what is out there in real time.

Also, don't get suckered by ads for "sports minded" indivdiuals with tag terms for hr, sales, managment training and entry level; be advised that there is a preditory type of organization out there that exclusivly engages in door-to-door sales and that misleads both buyers and workers. Thier turnover rates are higher then sky high, so the ads are always there.

Better to check into warehouse or factory work, any shift you can get. Also, check with companies like Serve Pro or Service Master; you may have to be willing to be on call 24/7.

Lastly, find out about busslines in your area, when they run and where they go to. This will help you know what you can and can't do.

Stay strong. Stay with it. Getting a job is a job, but they are out there for good workers willing to prove themselves.

Keep up the good work!
Old 05-27-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting to where you are now!! Scrambled had great advice. I'd also like to add that I know the secret to finding work: submit applications like it's your job. Seriously - spend hours a day filling out apps and sending out copies of your resume. Even if the hire rate is 1% (highly unlikely - pretty sure it's much higher than that) and you've worked your ass off submitting 100 applications......I am willing to put money on the fact that you've gotten at least 1 offer. Nothing is below anyone. Work is work.

Working and getting a paycheck gives a person something that cannot be bought, borrowed, etc. Making honest money, no matter what amount, is a fantastic feeling. Good luck.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Be very proud how far you've come and what you've accomplished. It sounds like you have a good plan and motivation and that you are moving towards your goals. My advice would be to remember that it's about the journey, not the destination. Try to enjoy what you're doing as you're moving along your path.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 1 week of sobriety. In my experience, this is a very short period of time. Why not focus on recovering from this situation and keep looking for work? Invest your time in a program of recovery. See what transpires and just keep working for your goals. Nothing worthwhile comes easy in life.

I wish you well!
Peace,