Notices

I got so nervous last night

Old 05-27-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I got so nervous last night

I went to the birthday meeting last night and got their early for the dinner with my covered dish. My sponsor (that bossy one I told y'all about) was picking up her 8 year chip and they asked Her if she wanted anyone to read and of course she said me and of course it was How it Works. This normally does not even phase me but there was a podium and a microphone set up.

I was so nervous reading. I felt like I couldn't breath and my voice was shaking. How dumb is that? I started worrying that people would think I drank but then I remembered if I had I would not have been so freaking freaked out.

Anyone have public speaking fears and why is it so different with a microphone? This is obviously something I need to overcome. It reminded me of my first year in AA and how petrified I was to share.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had to speak in front of 150 people for 10 minutes at a podium with a Mic...That's a long time if you've never done it. I just prayed for the words...And somehow they came out. They had to cut me off. Go figure.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Self-centered fear. Yeah, that microphone is very intimidating!! I like it today as I can't hear like I used to and often people don't speak up or they cover their mouth with their hand when they speak. If you observe people closely, you will notice most of us are still full of fear even when speaking without a microphone. You aren't alone in this. Here's the thing: You Got Through This!!! And you are here today posting to us. How cool is that??
Old 05-27-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I felt like I was gulping for air. Imight have a heart attack if. I had to tell my story.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh, you're not the only one. One of my friends, a very outgoing person by nature, clams up totally in front of a group. She could speak out easily in large groups of people as long as she sat amid the crowd, but she could barely speak the moment she had to stand up in front of everyone.

It really just takes practice. I used to be a teacher (currently a stay at home mom), and as easily as I could speak to my classes full of teenagers, presenting stuff at faculty meetings and on parent night proved difficult. It got much easier in time though, and now I can handle it pretty well

But hey, you did it! Way to go.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
I felt like I was gulping for air. Imight have a heart attack if. I had to tell my story.
You won't....Just ask for help. What it was like...What happened....And what it is like now. It's pretty awesome....And I don't even remember anything I said....That's when you know you did it right.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I don't know what step you are on, but there is a significant change after completing step 9. For now, work step 3 with all you've got if you have to speak again. A little prayer that you speak the words that someone needs to hear...to be useful to another...Breathe deep and just talk....remember, we all know how you feel and how difficult it is to stand and talk into a microphone. Sitting and speaking is hard enough! Share from your heart, experience, strength and hope. It's all we can do. You still made it through! That inspires me!
Old 05-27-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks y'all. Me telling my story is at least a year away. Worrying is something I DO do fer well.

I will be starting my 4th step AGAIN this week.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
Thanks y'all. Me telling my story is at least a year away. Worrying is something I DO do fer well.

I will be starting my 4th step AGAIN this week.
Ask for help with that too.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am sure I am going to be hugging you guys too.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I always had a fear of public speaking I think alot of people do, heck I even get bashfully/nervous talking to a group of people sometimes. I had to do a interview on T.V job related it was about ten min. long, they gave me a script which I practiced all the night before but the interviewer did not go by it!!...lol.. I Was soo nervous and didn't remember what I said, but then when I watch the tape I was surprised how calm and professional I was...I sure didn't feel like it on the inside at the time. I agree with everyone post, just take a deep breath and try to calm yourself. I'm sure you did better then what you think
Old 05-27-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Put speaking in front of a group with a microphone on there... (suggestion, but a strong one)

Have a beautiful sober Sunday!
Old 05-27-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have some pretty bad anxiety in front of people. I get like that even in small groups. One time I thought my face was going to burst into flames. Some days are easier than others, other days I just pass or say very little. The last time I got in front of 30 people the first thing I said was that I'm not very good at speaking in front of people, and it went pretty good. I am actually pretty surprised how well I did talking in front of people in the beginning. I see that as progress but lately it has not been going well. Starting to wonder if I'll be able to actually say what I want to again.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I sing in a band and regularly get up in front of a mic but take the music away and I'm a wreck. Best thing to do is to just keep doing it when you get a chance. Your nerves are most noticeable to you. Also for me the first 2-3 minutes I usually get down pat, after that I relax more and can be more spontaneous and comfortable! I practice my intro a lot
Way to go, you should feel good!!! You did it!!!
Old 05-27-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lol...sb.