Notices

Now I'm a Pig ...

Old 05-26-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Now I'm a Pig ...

Geez ... I gave up alcohol nearly 90 days ago and in the beginning I had no appetite and lost nearly 40 pounds. The only things I wanted to eat ... WHEN I wanted to eat ... were healthy things like fruit, veggies, etc.

I will have 90 days next Sunday and suddenly the appetite has returned with a VENGEANCE. Okay, no problem, I know it's important to feed my body as it is recovering, but this is ridiculous. How much ice cream and Twizzlers can one person consume?!

I know I could have bigger problems, but sheesh. I just bought a whole new wardrobe for my shrinking body. If I keep this up, I'll be having to utilize my "drunk clothes" again, but for a different reason.

Sigh. Never mind. I'm sober. That's what matters. But I ask you ... anyone else feeding their previous alcohol addiction with munchies?
Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

desertsong

Its day 117 today. I've never liked chocolate or ice cream while binging. For some reason I absolutely love these 2 treats now. I lost some weight, but really craving sweets.

So I exercise (jog) and I try to limit treats as much as possible. Try sultanas, high in natural sugar, home baked oatmeal cookies, good energy source.

Do you eat junk food?
Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I have a huge bowl of Vanilla ice cream smothered with chocalte syrup everynite. Congratulations on the 90 days.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I never lost weight after quitting, and I sure expected to! I'd been consuming so many empty calories I thought the weight would melt off me. I was never much for sweets, but suddenly I discovered ice cream, chocolate - and found an appetite I hadn't had in years. I gained a lot of weight, and only now am I dealing with it. I'd rather have that problem, though.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Originally Posted by Healthyfood View Post
desertsong

Its day 117 today. I've never liked chocolate or ice cream while binging. For some reason I absolutely love these 2 treats now. I lost some weight, but really craving sweets.

So I exercise (jog) and I try to limit treats as much as possible. Try sultanas, high in natural sugar, home baked oatmeal cookies, good energy source.

Do you eat junk food?
I hate junk food. My tastes run towards fruit, veggies, salads, lean meats, cheese, etc. Healthy overall, but over the past few days I've been ingesting insane amounts of sunflower seeds, licorice, cheese, and egg rolls. What?! I couldn't care less about this stuff before but now it's all I want. Maybe it's because I'm anemic too ... I dunno. Maybe I need a vitamin supplement checkup ....
Old 05-26-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm big into the ice cream. It freaking knocks me out, i'm not kidding. If I wasn't physically active every day on my job I would be turning into Orsen Wells. This issue is doable, much better then a drinking addiction. I'm far better off, and will work out as time goes on.

Keep up the good work!
Old 05-26-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
but this is ridiculous. How much ice cream and Twizzlers can one person consume?!
I used to ask myself the same question about beer.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Sapling ... point taken, dude. Thanks. I think. I didn't drink beer because it was too fattening. Yeah. I said that.

I guess there are more deadly things in life than ice cream and sunflower seeds. But geez.

Laugh at me. It's okay. lol
Old 05-26-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love my ice cream and chocolate...Like Hevyn said...I never ate that before.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

So ... I get the sugar craving. We want to replace the sugar that alcohol metabolizes into. I get that.

But at nearly 3 months? I never had sugar cravings when I quit drinking ... at least in the beginning. Is this a delayed thing? Or is something else going on?

I'm confused. And hungry. :-S
Old 05-26-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How much ice cream and Twizzlers can one person consume?!
ice cream?? until i get sick. twizzlers? i dont know. reeses? give me a bag of reeses and with the intention of having a couple i will eat until i am sick. same symptoms as that of drinking alcohol. i am addicted to anything that makes me feel good, and that includes food, especially sweets. gives the body a fix like alcohol did.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My appetite is getting back to normal. I've never been able to gain weight, now I'm wondering if I will soon. I only ate one meal a day before.

It might sound crazy but I miss not being hungry, it feels like such a chore sometimes. Especially when there is nothing to eat. I hardly ever ate fast food, now when I smell it the next thing I know I'm at the drive through.

I used to pig out almost every night because I take seroquel and it makes me very hungry. That's not really the case anymore and I'm glad, because I know its not healthy.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've been doing the same thing desertsong... luckily unlike alcohol... food/sweets is something that I CAN effectively taper. So that's what I am working on now... only one ice cream a day instead of 2... etc etc.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your progress!

Yes! I love food and I love to cook. Recipes turn outmuch better if you are not drunk cooking them too.

My candy sessions are with gummy savers and dark chocolate.

I am making a chocolate pound cake for desert tomorrow. (Paul's Deen's)

I work in the garden, walk my dog and do the elliptical to offset the sweets. (Also things I did not do well drunk)
Old 05-26-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
How much ice cream and Twizzlers can one person consume?!
ice cream?? until i get sick. twizzlers? i dont know. reeses? give me a bag of reeses and with the intention of having a couple i will eat until i am sick. same symptoms as that of drinking alcohol. i am addicted to anything that makes me feel good, and that includes food, especially sweets. gives the body a fix like alcohol did.
That is so true..I haven't got to the point of hiding my Hershey's Nuggets yet...But I could see it happening.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Okay ... well, I've not consumed ice cream or Twizzlers to the point that I wanted to puke, but I get the analogy. Interestingly ... I still visit the store where I bought all my Jack Daniels ... over the last 3 months, I have been having to re-train the employees. When I used to walk in, they'd have a pint of JD waiting for me. Now they have a package of Twizzlers and a pint of Ben & Jerry's. Is this progress?
Old 05-26-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

desertsong

Sunflower seeds like any seeds or nuts are good! The worst thing you can eat is cheese as its pure fat and should be avoided at all times (if you care about your weight). Try eating an apple before any treat that helps.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recovering

I reckon you're allowed to pig out for a while.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
anyone else feeding their previous alcohol addiction with munchies?
not anymore, I'm gettin buffed up for summer.

here's something i saw on a co-workers desk.

Nothing tastes as good as looking good feels
Old 05-26-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Jake, 19

I'm the same, i'm eating twice as much as I was, and most of it is junk food.

I'm trying to enjoy it - it's better to be spending loads of cash on food than booze in my eyes! And I can binge on it without losing friends and jeapordising my familial relationships! Obviously it'd be wise to cut down eventually but hey, we all have to indulge ourselves or life would be boring.