Notices

Now I'm a Pig ...

Old 05-26-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
So ... I get the sugar craving. We want to replace the sugar that alcohol metabolizes into. I get that.

But at nearly 3 months? I never had sugar cravings when I quit drinking ... at least in the beginning. Is this a delayed thing? Or is something else going on?

I'm confused. And hungry. :-S
are you telling us there's a new little desertsong on the way?:ghug3
Old 05-26-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Argonaut

The solution is very simple. Don't eat any sugar or other fast carbs. Look out for processed foods, most of them contain some sugar.

Stay with slow carbs like brown rice and dark rye bread. Sugar and alcohol cause high/low spikes in insulin levels but slow carbs prevent the spikes and decrease cravings.

This works for me, of course feel free to change your diet for a week or so and see how it goes. I lost over 15 pounds since quitting.

Exercise is very important also, good luck!
Old 05-26-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I live off ice pops, frozen fruit and fruit snacks as far as sweets go. I try to avoid chocolate and fatty sweets because i do crave sweet things a lot. I know it's because alcohol is a sugar and i was consuming a lot of alcohol so my body is craving a substitute. I'll give it some sugar but i'll be damned if i give it all that fat!
Old 05-26-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Desertsong,
I had sugar cravings big time and just ate what I wanted without any noticeable weight gain but at night months I was eating far too may sweets, pastries and the like and using food like alcohol.
Overnight I started on a raw food diet and I have been losing weight gradually. I love ice cream and make natural fruit ice creams in my blender. I freeze fresh fruit and just put it in the blender, yesterday I made mango, banana and fresh coconut meat "ice cream".
This satisfies any sugar cravings I might have and this coming from someone who could scoff 6 magnums in one go.
Being fit and healthy is part of my recovery and it sure doesn't hurt to be able to wear nice clothes and look good.
I feel on my raw food diet I am not missing out at all.
CaiHong
Old 05-26-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Desertsong, I'm with you. I'm at 62 days and I weigh the most I ever did in my life. I eat pretty healthily... fish, salads, yoghurts, mainly wholegrain bread, porridge and strawberries. But I also like chocolate biscuits and croissants Went to see a dietitian and he told me to do a diary recording the treats I ate to show myself how often I eat them.. I'm in denial, he spotted it when he looked at my food diary for the week And to exercise at least twice a week as I'd stopped that.

Never mind, I'm mainly healthy, Geralt's advice is good.. go for items with low GI, I just don't stick to it.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I've been eating a lot of peanut butter and honey sandwiches. That and Snickers bars lol. I am eating ALL day long, so I guess you could say I have the munchies. I also go to the gym every day and swim every day, so we'll see if that lessens the effects haha. Either way it's better than drinking a bottle of wine or two, or three a day!