Notices

Finally know what to say to my kids

Old 05-26-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Finally know what to say to my kids

I posted a few days ago asking if I should tell my kids about AA and this morning I posted about anger issues. I finally know exactly what to say to my kids.

"I am going to a support group to deal with how I handle things in my life such as when i get angry. Some of those steps to controlling my emotions are to stop drinking alcohol and to do other healthy things like working out and prayer."

I think this tells them that I am being accountable for my behavior and that I am working on being a better mom.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That sounds like a great plan. Honesty is best. Good for you.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like it alot.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Awesome! Maybe throw in something about how they are going to be treated....and maybe if they cut you a little slack while you are working on it.....and find alternatives to treating them through yelling like a 10 second rule where you step away from a situation and journal and then speak to them...... and make sure you exercise..... we can only say "I'm sorry" so many times before it becomes just words, it's about the actions we do that make the impact.....
Old 05-26-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Awesome! Maybe throw in something about how they are going to be treated....and maybe if they cut you a little slack while you are working on it.....and find alternatives to treating them through yelling like a 10 second rule where you step away from a situation and journal and then speak to them...... and make sure you exercise..... we can only say "I'm sorry" so many times before it becomes just words, it's about the actions we do that make the impact.....
Right on, sugarbear1..... there is a big difference between an apology and an amend.

All the best to everyone.

Bob R
Old 05-26-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think accountability is the BEST thing you can do as a parent. No parent is perfect -- not you, not I, not anyone... I think genuine sorry's, with the actions to improve behaviour, are the best thing we can give our kids. I dont know about you, but the idea of my daughter ending up like me TERRIFIES me... and I think I am the harshest to her when she displays behaviour that mirror's my own. There is nothing we can do about this aside from also making a positive example of admitting when we're wrong, getting help when we need it, and making change.

This is the first step in the right direction of being pretty much the best parent ever. Good for you and good luck with the talk!
Old 05-26-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That seems like a great plan, aeo! Thanks for giving us an update!
Old 05-26-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

aeo , I think being honest is also the right thing to do. Kids are smart and they know the score once they are over 3 or 4 years old , at least from my experience. I think lying or denying send them the wrong message.

I also agree it the action and not the lip service that will show them you mean what you say and say what you mean. We are accountable for our actions, and like everyone , have our shortcomings. Sorry does not replace being present , available and involved with them in a positive way.

I figure opening the dialogue with the age appropriate information will pay dividends down the line as kids will face the same issues as they grow up. I sure want mine to know what alcohol cost me and might costs them if they , when old enough , make their decisions about it.

My kids know my situation and how different my personality is between binges.

Best of luck!