Notices

Not in a good mood

Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not in a good mood

Hi

I feel very low at the moment. Everyone is having a drink tonight. How sad.
I was told today that having a drink is normal as its part of being social.

I can't drink as I'm very addictive to it. One glass and I will drink for weeks.

So basically everyone I've spoken today is drinking.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I know of people who are bungee jumping. You won't find me there.

I know of people who break out in hives and might stop breathing if they eat certain foods, I don't see them eating those on purpose.

When I drink one, I am like you and I won't stop for weeks/years....so I won't be drinking. I'm not losing out. I've drunk enough. It wasn't always fun. Sometimes, but that was long long ago.

I like waking up without a hangover. I don't miss those horrendous headaches. I don't miss getting sick in the morning just brushing my teeth. I don't miss stinking all day.

I like waking up. I like how I feel today. I like how I have no anxiety over being anywhere. I like me today. I refuse to give that up.

I don't know what I'm saying, but Healthyfood, I don't know what you need to hear to "feel" better, but maybe knowing you are doing what you need to do to be healthy and more sane. I'm impressed by you. Stay strong, stay stopped, and smile because life really IS good today. Maybe go talk with someone who is newly sober. It always help me. Oh, and feelings DO change!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Healthyfood View Post
Everyone is having a drink tonight. How sad.
Everyone in your circle is having a drink. You need to expand your circle to include non-drinkers because not every social occasion requires drinking. Only drinkers require alcohol.

You already know the damage alcohol has inflicted on you, on your family and maybe your friends too. So it futile to mourn it. Futile and senseless, as it will undermine your recovery.

Stay strong!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, you're going to feel better tomorrow morning than they will, at least if by "a drink" they mean "several drinks."

It does suck though, because it really is everywhere, and it really is considered normal. I always wonder how many people really have a handle on it and how many of them are just pretending. Because that's what I used to do; I used to say "a drink" when I meant "indefinite number of drinks." But I sure did hide it from others.

Do you go to meetings? I haven't tried one yet myself, but it sounds like the kind of thing that would be helpful for you right now, so you can talk to people who are not drinking tonight.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

None of my friends are drinking this weekend...That's who I'm hanging out with.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It does suck though, because it really is everywhere, and it really is considered normal. I always wonder how many people really have a handle on it and how many of them are just pretending. Because that's what I used to do; I used to say "a drink" when I meant "indefinite number of drinks." But I sure did hide it from others.
Yep.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sugarbear, you kill me. " I know of people who are bungee jumping. You won't find me there." Me neither.
Hey it is ok to feel a little sad but remember you are in recovery. I have not been sober long enough to feel all the greatness of sobriety but I have seen bits and pieces and it is great. Hang tough. Bring your favorite non-alcoholic drink and try to breathe.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

Not everyone.. I don't know anyone personally who is drinking today.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for support. Im still low. I think its because alco is everywhere and I just keep running away from it.

Also its Friday and I want to watch TV, but there is no digital signal for some reason, so I can't do even that.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LDT

Not drinking here as well!
Old 05-25-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

LDT

At least someone is not drinking. Why can't everyone else around me be sober too?
Old 05-25-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't drink on my Friday night last night, so you can add me to the list HF.

There's a lot of great advice here - I think we can either wish things were different, or we can accept our reality.

in accepting who and what I am, I've found a lot of great things in my recovery HF - I'm not missing out or living a lesser life - I've found myself, I'm happy in what I do, and gotten rid of a very big problem.

I'd hate for anyone else to miss out on that

D
Old 05-25-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dee74

Im tired of listening other people telling me all about their parties and all that booze. I can't listen to that anymore.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Who are these people telling you about their parties and booze? Do they know you're an alcoholic? If so it may be time to move on from these relationships. Or perhaps tell them you can't listen to that anymore....
Old 05-25-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Payton

Anyone Ive spoken today mentioned the booze. No nobody knows I have addiction. Ive kept it as secret.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Hugs. When I drank, I surrounded my self with those who also drank. Today, I stick with those who don't drink. It can be done.

I feel your emotions and frustration. Maybe put on some music and get something done you've put off for a while? Organize something....then check the tv, but really, there isn't anything on anyway. I'm putting on a DVD I love.

You can get through this!!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know how you feel, everyone I have ever hung out with is usually not just a drinker but a big drinker, so I have tried to stop hanging out with these people, however when I am not drinking I am so shy and find it hard to talk to new people, it's difficult but keep trying.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

HF: perhaps switching how you look at it will also help?

I talk to people who have more money than me, but they are not happier than me. I talk to people who are waited on. But they are not happier than me. I talk to people who have boatloads of friends. But they are not happier than me. I talk to people with the latest gadgets. But they are not happier than me. I talk to people who drink. And they are not happier than me, either.

Because I do not compare. And they do. I have learned that it is the comparing, that causes my suffering. Maybe not comparing your life choices to theirs, will help you.

I don't know. It works for me so I thought I'd share it. Hope you feel better about things soon. Cause you have much to be proud of!
Old 05-25-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Come chat in the chat room with us!
Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

One glass and I will drink for weeks.

I'm glad you have that self awareness. If you drink tonight you might screw up your plans for the July 4th weekend.