Notices

im terrified

Old 05-24-2012, 01:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

im terrified

So - I went a whole 5 days sober - then i lost it for 12.... i am going to check myself into a medical detox on Friday
I need it. I'm shaky, I'm sweaty, I have blurry vision, my blood pressure and pulse is really high - this is not in my head anymore.
but I'm terrified of doing it.
So - if any of you have gone to detox I'd appreciate some sharing.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep reminding yourself why you're doing this. It really does get easier, it's definitely hard for the first few days. But remember that not everyone can do this when they feel like it, that's why very few people decide to get sober, but they are missing out on a great life.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't gone to detox lyddie, but considering how badly I did detoxing on my own, I think you're making a great choice

I really hope you can make this your turning point

D
Old 05-24-2012, 01:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lydiebreeze,

Congratulations on taking care of yourself. It might seem terrifying, but addressing it head on as you are doing will help mitigate the fear. And once you are detoxed, you don't have to go back.

Better times await you. And we are here for support. Sending lots of positive energy your way. (And please consider the ER if circumstances require it before Friday. Don't monkey with your health. There is no shame in staying alive, at whatever cost.)
Old 05-24-2012, 01:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hold on in there. Be kind to yourself today. It's going to take a while to get that booze out of your system. Here's my best hangover cure: Ginger beer, loads of ice, juice of a crushed lemon and juice of crushed lime. Wrap yourself up warm. Drink a load of fluid. And don't forget how **** you feel now. This can be a wake up call.

As for doing a medical detox on Friday, I am not offering any medical advice about that either way. And I'm not suggesting that taking a little hangover cure is a long term solution to serious binge drinking like you describe. But at this point, coming off a binge, you probably need to sort your head and body out before you do anything.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is nothing to be scared of....I felt great knowing I was in good hands...I was safe. All I wanted to do was sleep...And that's mostly what I did. You don't have to go through all those symptoms you describe...They treat you for that. I will say...The most important thing you have to do with detox is...What you do after it. Find something that will keep alcohol out of your life so you don't have to do it again. Good luck to you and you're smart for doing it safely.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

lydiebreeze, are you going to AA meetings?

You'll do fine in detox, then go to AA. That worked for me.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-24-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

havent been to detox, but sure was terrified of stopping drinking. fear of the unknown. everything past that day. what was life gonna be like without alcohol?? what did i have to do to get sober??? learned all i needed to do was get some courage. that doesnt mean i was free of fear. it gave me the ability to get into action in spite of fear.
hopin and praying ya get some courage. a sober life rocks!!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Definatly dont be scared. Going to detox I always felt safer than when I did it alone at home.

Youll be taken care of and like Sapling said all the horrible shakes,sweats,vomiting,heart racing, insomnia, ect. Wont be there anywhere like it is untreated.

Come back and post.

Good love, Inda
Old 05-25-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You'll be a lot safer in detox than out on your own. The first few days may be tough but they'll do everything they can to help you through it. Stick with it and in two or three days you may start sleeping better and you may not be so nervous. It's going to take some guts. And boy is it worth it! It may be the best thing you ever did for yourself. And remember, when you're through the tough part, beware of the "pink cloud", the feeling that "everything's O.K." That's the most dangerous part of the journey. Do all you can to resist that inner voice which tries to get you to pick up, to relapse, to throw it all away. Good luck!

W.