SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Questions (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/257625-questions.html)

RicL 05-24-2012 07:28 AM

Questions

This is my first post, hope I'm in the right place. after years of drinking I'm determined to get sober and healthy. I know I am going to need to see a doctor. I haven't been able to find medications to control shaking hands. I would like to research as much as possible before I go in. Can anyone give me examples of the types of meds used for this?

Thanks in advance

Sapling 05-24-2012 07:31 AM

Welcome RicL...I think it's best to let your doctor take care of that...Be totally honest about your drinking...That's what he'll base it on. Glad you are here.

doggonecarl 05-24-2012 07:32 AM

Welcome to SR. You have a recovery question, ask away. As for questions about meds, sounds like a good one to ask your doctor. Glad to hear you are planning to visit one.

IndaMiricale 05-24-2012 07:34 AM

They will give you a type of benzo for anit-seizure and shaking . I always was given Ativan.

Yes you found the right place see your doctor , detox and set yourself free from those chains. :)

LoftyIdeals 05-24-2012 07:35 AM

Welcome RicL...same as above. Your doctor will help you with the shakes. Congrats on your determination. With a willing heart and a little work, your life will be revolutionized for the better.

totfit 05-24-2012 07:45 AM

Glad you are here and you are in the right place. Don't worry, you don't have to do the research, your Dr. will immediately know what you need to help you. While you may feel this is an isolated, unique, "bad", problem, don't worry as it is all too common. Doctors see a lot of folks that need help with this in one form or the other. I would suggest you come up with a plan also of how you are going to do things different that will not lead back down the same path. I think that is where I would be doing research if I were you and I am "LIKE" you in this one respect for sure. Sending you strenght.....

Sapling 05-24-2012 08:03 AM

totfit is spot on with that...What you should be researching is recovery programs or methods....They'll get you cleaned up....It's what you do to stay that way that counts.

changemyway 05-24-2012 08:10 AM

I was given Librium in the past to help with withdrawals. Your doctor will know what is right for you. I'm five days sober today and not using meds this time; the trouble with them is that they can be addicting. I am having what I would say are moderate symptoms of withdrawal...I know they will pass. I'm taking vitamins, doing some walking and eating right. Sleep is a big thing too...I'm sleeping about ten hours a night, which sounds crazy, but my body really needs the rest. Make sure you have people you can talk to. Good luck :)

Duke10 05-24-2012 08:13 AM

At first I was afraid to see my doctor. Known him for years and thought he would think a lot less of me. Just the opposite. He gave me a lot of credit for admitting my problem and coming to him for help. He did give me some medicine and it is helping but please remember that just about every medicine tells you not to drink while on it. Trust me I did twice and it was disastrous. If you think you can handle 6-7 drinks you could maybe handle 3-4. Be careful and find a good recovery program.

RicL 05-24-2012 08:15 AM

Another addiction is what I was worried about and why I want to research as much as possible. Unfortunately I can't function with badly shaking hands so I'm going to have to take something.

Thank you all for your replies!

Zencat 05-24-2012 08:25 AM

:) Welcome to SR RicL.

The link below iwill help you if you decide to seek medical help for your alcohol problem.

Alcoholism: Preparing for your appointment - MayoClinic.com

Anna 05-24-2012 08:34 AM

I do hope that you talk to your dr and that you continue to read and post here for support.

Duke10 05-24-2012 09:04 AM

Good luck. Keep posting after you see your doctor. There are medicines that will help. We really do not give out medical advice but your doctor will know. If your regular doctor does not help (a few have not) you may schedule an appointment with an psychiatrist. Be strong

artsoul 05-24-2012 09:17 AM

Welcome RicL!

Glad you're ready for a change - we're here to support you! I got shaky hands after I started drinking every night but it's gone away since I got sober, along with the anxiety and those awful hangovers. There really is life after alcohol. Keep posting and reading!:c031:

DisplacedGRITS 05-24-2012 09:54 AM

Bugger the research for now and go see a doc. Nothing you can do at home will really help with the withdrawl symptoms and overeducating yourself can sometimes be counterproductive. The good thing is the shakey hands go away in just a few days. See a doctor ASAP. Coming down off alcohol can be deadly. I've had two seizures trying to so it on my own. Come on back after the safe detox and start getting a post detox plan of action in place so you're not hitting the liquor department once the tremors are over! (Like i did)

sugarbear1 05-24-2012 01:25 PM

Welcome to SR!

Are you detoxing now or have you already detoxed?

Glad you are here!

CactusJill 05-24-2012 02:19 PM

Welcome, and we are proud of you! SR is a great place and you will find lots of help and support here.

Dee74 05-24-2012 02:39 PM

Hi and welcome Ric - I hope you'll see a Dr too :)

The trouble with doing our own research is we often don't have the practical expertise to discern whether a particular medication will be suitable for us.

D

RicL 05-25-2012 09:28 AM

Hi sugarbear1. I'm not detoxing until i can get in to see a doctor. I know how bad it can be.
I have an appointment for next week.