Notices

Relapse.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tickletoes View Post
He loves my friend. Not the wine.
I mean the guy must know you're trying to quit...I assume. Just seems like a bad idea all around...And then to leave it behind is even worse. Good luck to you...Remember if nothing changes...Nothing changes.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone posting on this thread. I really needed the support, and I appreciate each and every one of you for taking the time to weigh in.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Why would your friend bring wine? Does he know about your alcoholism? Do you know why you didn't pour it out after he left? What was your trigger? It sounds like you need to be up front with people that your household is a nonalcohol household. It's your place and you have every right to set down boundaries. Don't be discouraged. Few people in early recovery would be able to resist that temptation, especially when it's in such an intimate setting. A good friend should be supportive. Get togethers don't need to always have alcohol involved. An Italian soda is very refreshing as is sparkling mineral water. There are plenty of exotic nonalcoholic drink options and friends should respect that.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
SR Fan

If a friend brought over a bottle of wine in the first weeks of my sobriety, I'm not sure I could have stayed sober, either. Even though I took the alcohol out of my life, I still had a drinking mentality for a while. All the old thoughts and justifications were still in my head and I never knew when they would pop up and try to suck me in. Thank goodness they fade over time, but at first I had do everything I could to stay focused on recovery.

In a way, you have to put yourself first (not easy for us moms), and you have to figure out how to make it as easy as possible on yourself to stay sober, whether it's not allowing alcohol in your house, spending time here or in AA every day, or getting help with the kids so that you can take a yoga class. Be there for you and know that you can do this!:ghug3
Old 05-24-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tickletoes View Post
I am sick of feeling ashamed of getting better.
That's absolutely nothing to be ashamed of and everything to be proud of.