Notices

i go to meeting because...

Old 05-23-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i go to meeting because...

I go to meetings because they are physical reminders that i am not alone in this. Today i went to a new meeting and a lady from my deli recognized me. We weren't embarassed and she greeted me like a friend even though we barely know each other.

I also go to meetings because they help keep me humble. I feel so proud of myself for my near three months but at the meetings are people with 20+ years. They are wonderful inspirations and reminders that i have a long way to go.

For those of who go to meetings, why do you go?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I go to judge others. No, just kidding. I go also so I know I am not alone. I can talk about anything to people there and they understand what is going on. I go because I can see your behavior, but I can't see my own. I go to hear truth about me, or to hear about the solution and how not to drink--what to do.

I learn a lot at meetings. I am comfortable talking to others who have been where I've been, who know what it's like to be obsessed with drinking to numb what is really going on.

I go because the steps of AA saved my life and I want to give freely what was once freely given to me--another chance at life.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For the coffee, of course!

I go to remind myself. I go to learn to have an open mind. I go to hear incredible wisdom that can aid me in my life. I go to help others and to let them help me.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Usually I only went when some terrible drunken occurence happened.

Then once Im feeling better and the memories fade Im gone.
Until Im right back in the same spot.

Unfortunately.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I go to meetings to offer hope for newcomers...The same hope that I got when I went to my first meeting. To share my experience and learn from others. To be an example that those 12 steps do work....And there is life after alcohol. I also go to see my friends and remind myself where I came from...And what I am. I go because I like them. And because they are right where I'm supposed to be.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I go to judge others.
.... LOL!

I'm still thinking about trying a meeting; they have a lot of them around here. This forum is gradually helping me to become less freaked out by the idea. Gradually. I'm not there yet.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Luling View Post
I'm still thinking about trying a meeting; they have a lot of them around here.
There must be a reason they have a lot of them around there....When you're ready...Try one....Nobody's going to hurt you....I think you'll be glad you went.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

I go to meetings to study the literature in a group setting and to connect with other alcoholics.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

to share my experiene strength, and hope with others that they may recover from alcoholism.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I also go to meetings to remind myself where i came from. Nothing excites me more than being able to attend a First Step meeting.

I go to meeting for fresh insights. Hearing other people perspective on a topic or Step often helps me understand the something about the disease or recovery better and opens my eyes even more and really helps with my understanding. As i tend to be a very introspective person i find that after the meeting, i spend a lot of time applying what i learned to myself, my addiction and my life and i come out of it with a greater understanding of myself. It's like a free therapy and rehab group.

I go to meetings for the free hugs. Really. I'm a hug person and i love that contact at the end of a meeting. That hug that says "i don't know you but i know you and i support you." That human contact that i avoided in my disease i literally embrace in my recovery.

And free coffee.