Notices

still going

Old 05-23-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

still going

day 6 now. i'm feeling unsettled because i spent the whole day with my mom on a planned mom/daughter day, and didn't get to a meeting. i have the rest of the weeks meetings planned out, but i still feel anxious that i didn't get to one today. i'm not worried i'll drink, but i do feel like i'm missing that connection tonight.
in other news, my best friend has a big show this weekend- his bands cd release at a really big club in the area- he's been talking about it for months. but....i don't think i should go. there are tons of bars in the club, and virtually everyone will be drinking. i haven't told him i won't be going...i let him down so often while drinking, and i hate to think i'm letting him down again.
he's a pretty heavy drinker himself. and i guess the underlying fear is...i'm probably going to have to step away from a really deep friendship to maintain my sobriety. i'm sure this is something many of you have been through...
any thoughts?
thank you all...the support i've gotten here has been a lifeline to me<3
Old 05-23-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well, and that you came here since you couldn't get to a meeting.

I hope you can explain to your friend how important your sobriety is to you. And,would it be possible to meet him for coffee sometimes? If not, then yeah, you might have to back off the relationship for awhile.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good job. My two cents is, One thing at a time. The friendship will work itself out. As you work on you and become more comfortable in your own skin you'll know what's right. If being away from the places for now is what you need then by all means do it. Over time, as we grow stronger in our recovery we can handle anything.

Just know you're (we're) never at the end, we're always somewhere in the middle. Meaning that you don't have to make life long decisions, just the here and now. Easier said than done, but it is true.

So have fun with your mom and enjoy your meetings. You're doing great!

RW
Old 05-23-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The only thoughts I have are....The fact you are concerned that you missed a meeting and have your other ones planned for the week....And that you are willing to miss this weekend club gig even if it will cost you a friendship...Really shows how much you are committed to your sobriety....And I'm impressed....You're going to make a sponsor happy....I'd find one and start working those steps....Good for you. Keep us updated on how you are doing.