What are your questions?
Old 05-23-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

I moved this to a thread of it's own so more members will notice
and try to give you information

everyone....here is the situation

hi, I'm new... My boyfriend is looking where to start with his alcohol addiction and what step to take first. Do you think seeing a therapist to get an assessment is a good start? He's been drinking and depending on alcohol for almost 18 years now, knows he drinks too much, isn't in denial, but is in the vicious cycle and wants to get help for him and for both of us. thanks so much

Last edited by CarolD; 05-23-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi awbr... and welcome!

I think seeing a therapist is a great place to start. If he's honest about his drinking history and willing to work to make changes, a therapist will be able to help him determine what the best first step would be, and help him come up with a plan. Depending on where he's at, it could be any number or any combination of things, from counseling to AA to rehab. He should also know that there are lots of secular alternatives to AA if that isn't right for him.

The biggest thing I think many of us have learned is that getting sober requires both self-determination and a network of support. If he's willing to reach out for help, that's a great beginning.

Feel free to keep posting with additional questions!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It interests me somewhat that you are the one who wrote in to SR. Is he as committed as you seem to be to this? There are lots of directions to go including doing it all on your own but no matter what a commitment from the person with the problem to help him/her self is required. Lots of people have done it all on their own but in my opinion a network of support is extremely helpful. I have had the fortune or misfortune depending on how you look at it to have done this now for the third time. Once with AA which was great, once with a counselor face to face which was highly enlightening and now with the support of my wife and the good people here. The first two had long successful results and I think this will as well. The problem which you may have surmised on your own is that I am here in the first place. Commitment as mentioned - and vigilance.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad you found us, awbr. This is a wonderful group with plenty of helpful answers and suggestions.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Have you tried Al Anon yet? You focus on your recovery and he can focus on his. He should start with a doctor visit to discuss detoxing safely. Then possibly rehab, counseling, AA, or some other program of recovery.

Hugs,