Notices

Two for the Price of One!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The last time I posted here, three years ago, I was waiting for smoke to clear and time to pass. There is always an opportunity to live better, to make amends, to rediscover a sense of love and gratitude for yourself. Ultimately, it is your life and your choice. We'll be here when you feel ready, strong or weak.

I like SMART recovery with a combo of personal stories, info on addiction, and support from close friends. Good luck, and remember that your struggles and situation are not unique. We can all learn from one another.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

The whole idea of putting it down for good was terrifying to me, I remember the incredible heart stopping anxiety it caused. But, and this is BIG, it was easier that I thought, and it is so much better now than I ever imagined.

The best advice here is from Dee, as per usual. There is support here of any flavour you might like, but only if you want to stop. So, do you? Oh, and talk to a Dr. too, they know about these things.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

CU
The fact that you are still looking at these posts and responding sounds like a cry for help to me.
May you find the help you need - we here at SR have all gone through what you are going through.
Reach out as much as you need to. You are already at the starting gate - just admitting and knowing you have a problem, and wanting to change, that's a HUGE start!
I heard a newscast recently that stated if you make one healthy change in your life that other healthy changes follow - perhaps you can concentrate on a different healthy change at the moment (eating better, exercise, meditation - whatever floats your boat)
Maybe that'll kick start the quitting thing...
JUST a SUGGESTION
Wish you well.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

My husband is currently sponsoring a professional man in our area, another attorney like himself. He struggled in isolation with his alcoholism for years. Cost him the wonderful wife of many years, his home, his profession. Now, the girlfriend he thought was the answer to his problems has also told him, "It's me or the booze."

I know a lot of professionals in our small, two-county area who finally sucked it up and went to AA. I don't know one who wasn't fearful walking through the doors the first time. Those who've stayed sober have regained their standing in the community, and most enjoy a better position than they did before.

Nice avatar, btw. See my signature line.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 06-11-2012, 03:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
I know a lot of professionals in our small, two-county area who finally sucked it up and went to AA. I don't know one who wasn't fearful walking through the doors the first time. Those who've stayed sober have regained their standing in the community, and most enjoy a better position than they did before.
Pride and fear are what keep people out of AA....You look death in the face or have the prospect of losing what little you have left...People tend to set those feelings aside.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
~sb

Please see a doctor for withdrawal from both substances.

Welcome to SR, glad you are here!
Old 06-11-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I am from the Houston area and a lot of people are going through "The Right Step". It is an anonymous program, that's all I know about it. AA and NA are completely anonymous too, if you see someone in a meeting that you know, then that is great! They might have a lot more sobriety than you or they might be just starting out, but it is important that yall are both there. I use to think like you. When I lived in the Woodlands, I would go to a meeting in Conroe. So that no one would see me. Now I am very open about my sobriety, everyone knows and I have freed myself from those feelings. It was a better move for me to come out and tell the world, because I have 5 months now and am really working the program.