Notices

10 Months Today!!!!!

Old 05-23-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 Months Today!!!!!

I celebrate 10 months sober today and what a wonderful ride it has been. It's been almost one year since my first post here on SR. I was just back from a Memorial weekend binge after nearly 8 months of white knuckle sobriety. From there it took me 2 more months of misery to finally get the help I needed.

Today, I am grateful for the fellowship of AA and to my friends here on SR for the support they have given. I am living proof that you can get sober if you want it and if you work at it. 10 months ago this morning I was polishing off my last bottle of vodka before heading to the ER for detox. This morning, while enjoying coffee and eggs with some of my AA friends, I couldn't even imagine wanting to pick up a drink, it is the farthest thing from my mind.

My advice to those still struggling.......listen to those who walk ahead of you. As soon as I gave up fighting it, as soon as I was willing to ask for help and to follow the suggestions given to me....as soon as I was willing to do that, my life became 1000 times more manageable and the obsession to drink alcohol was removed.

Thanks again everyone.

Rick
Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fantastic. Thank you and well done!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good stuff MarylandRick....Congrats on 10 months...Enjoy the ride!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Congrats on your sober time.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 10 months sober!!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done MarylandRick!!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 10 months!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wonderful!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats my friend!!!! On to 11 months
Old 05-23-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ten months rocks! What was the "help" that you got? Did you go to AA? I've been pretty "white-knuckly" lately and have been thinking that maybe I should start going. I've been avoiding it so far. It's been almost seven months for me.

Congrats again!!!!! 8
Old 05-23-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InParticular View Post
Ten months rocks! What was the "help" that you got? Did you go to AA? I've been pretty "white-knuckly" lately and have been thinking that maybe I should start going. I've been avoiding it so far. It's been almost seven months for me.

Congrats again!!!!! 8
Thanks. I got sober by going to rehab and to AA. Quite honestly though, I took my first step before walking through the doors of AA. When I decided to go to the hospital 10 months ago today, I was too tired to fight the disease anymore. Strangely, this is not the defeatist attitude that many opposed to "surrendering" seem to think it. I was defeated in that I can no longer drink. So long as I choose not to drink though I will win the war.

Two days later I entered rehab for two weeks, which, if nothing else exposed me daily to AA. When I got out of rehab I was completely confident and comfortable going into meetings around my home because of my experience in rehab.

It was really simple, I gave up fighting and listened. People told me not to drink, to go to meetings, get a sponsor, and work the steps. I did all of it and still do. I am completely confident that if I keep living my life the way I am now, and doing it one day at a time, that I will never have to drink again.

If your thinking about AA, go aheaad and give it or any program a shot. The worst that happens is you don't like it. Go for it and congrats on 7 months.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your story is exactly like mine MarylandRick....But I was done with 1, 2 and 3 when I left my 2 weeks in rehab and got a sponsor two days out.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great post. Congratulations!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Your story is exactly like mine MarylandRick....But I was done with 1, 2 and 3 when I left my 2 weeks in rehab and got a sponsor two days out.
I essentially was too. 1,2, and 3 pretty much happened all at once for me. I went through the motions of reading with my sponsor but I surrendered and turned my life and will over 10 months ago today. Like you, I was in rehab for two weeks and got a sponsor immediately. My first sponsor relapsed and I wasted no time getting another.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A man on a mission

Way to go!!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That is amazing. Congratulations xx
Old 05-23-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Right on Rick I can mark another hash mark next to the miracle list.

Keep on doin the next right thing. Congrats

Old 05-23-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats
Old 05-23-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarylandRick View Post
I essentially was too. 1,2, and 3 pretty much happened all at once for me. I went through the motions of reading with my sponsor but I surrendered and turned my life and will over 10 months ago today. Like you, I was in rehab for two weeks and got a sponsor immediately. My first sponsor relapsed and I wasted no time getting another.

That's what I did...He asked me if I read the third step prayer...I said I did my own....He had me read it and I started writing inventory that day. 11 months next week....It works if you work it. Best thing I have done for myself in my entire life...Bar none.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
That's what I did...He asked me if I read the third step prayer...I said I did my own....He had me read it and I started writing inventory that day. 11 months next week....It works if you work it. Best thing I have done for myself in my entire life...Bar none.
Congratulations as well. We damn near could have been rehab roommates. The key for me was Step 1. As you probably know, trying to express the relief when you truly surrender is difficult to do but those of us who have experienced the miracle understand.

It took me several years of fighting... trying to quit or manage my drinking on my own will power before it happened for me. Unfortunately it usually takes a decent amount of pain before that happens......but it doesn't have to.

Reading over this post, I likely would have rolled my eyes at it 11 months ago. I thought I surrendered because I knew I had a drinkng problem and tried to quit. I always kept it in tha back of my head that I could do it again though, that is what is so different this time. I can't drink normally, PERIOD.