Notices

day 2 - scared and depressed

Old 05-21-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 2 - scared and depressed

It's day 2 of being sober, and day 1 of my new job. For the second half of the day at work I was almost in tears. Everyone seems nice enough, but I don't feel like I belong. My old job felt like home - as much as I hated it there sometimes, I miss it. I feel like a homesick kid.

It's kind of a weird time to quit drinking. I didn't realize how stressful it would be to start a new job. But I'm not drinking tonight and have no plans to. I want to try going to a meeting again, but I won't have the chance until at least Thursday. My friend knows I'm having a hard time at my new job and is coming to hang out with me for the next two nights.

SR has really been helpful to me in the past, so I'm going to keep posting to try and stay on the right track. Hopefully you all don't get sick of me!
Old 05-21-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 2 days!!

Everything should feel like it doesn't belong right now, but it WILL change. Keep a positive attitude about not drinking AND starting a new job! WOW!! I am impressed. Seriously impressed! Keep up the terrific work!

Are there any early morning meetings in your area? They are mostly (here) professionals setting themselves up for a great and happy day! I'd start a journal, in time, you will see how much you've grown at work and in sobriety!

Again, Congratulations! *hugs* You Go!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

SnowDaisy, I agree that starting a new job is stressful. It sure is for me.

But, the good thing is that you are starting this job as a sober person and that will be so helpful.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think being in early recovery and starting a new job would be stressful for anyone, SD...I'm sure things will get better on both counts

D
Old 05-21-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The thought may pass through your head that it may be easier to start the new job and handle all the weirdness if you could just have a drink. Resist it at all costs. It will only make things worse.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sugarbear, there aren't meetings early enough. I already have to get up at 5 am for work... I'm just going to try to make it through the week and then hit up a meeting this weekend. There actually isn't a huge selection of meetings where I live - i'd like to try a womens group first but there aren't a whole lot.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to day to day 2 and congratulations on the new job. It does get better
Old 05-21-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Snow, It's understandable that you're emotional - even without a new job to contend with. I hope you'll grow to enjoy it and be happy with it - try not to form an opinion just yet. I almost never like a new job when I first start out - then end up getting comfortable with it.

I'm glad you have your friend coming! Also, that you came here to talk about your feelings. You're doing great.