Notices

Well, moderation didn't work.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you Luling! I am in a very similar situation to the one you describe. I came to this site back in January and was sober for 5 weeks. I decided that if I could go for 5 weeks with out a drink then I surely would be able to drink in moderation. HA!

I have finally come to the realization that I can not drink in moderation. I start with one glass of wine and usually end up finishing the bottle. My husband loves to drink wine and doesn't seem to have the same problems as I do. Fortunately he is very supportive. It is unlikely that he will stop, but he has seen me drunk enough times to be very afraid of what could happen to me if I continue drinking.

I did not have a drink yesterday. My normal time to start drinking is while I prepare dinner which will be in about an hour. What helped me not drink in the past was to keep busy and have something else to drink. I plan on doing just that tonight.

It is so hard to stop drinking, if it weren't for wonderful posts like yours, I am sure that I would be. Thank you all!!
Old 05-21-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bizooky View Post

I did not have a drink yesterday. My normal time to start drinking is while I prepare dinner which will be in about an hour. What helped me not drink in the past was to keep busy and have something else to drink. I plan on doing just that tonight.
Yes, something about preparing dinner and having a glass of wine ... Well, I've fixed that for tonight at least; I'm not cooking! I made a casserole this morning so I can just heat it up this evening. Anything to keep me from hanging out in the kitchen where we keep the wine. You know, I think that just doing things differently than my usual routine will help.

Have a great evening; we can do this!
Old 05-21-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm feeling very encouraged by the support. Right now 5:00 is drawing closer, right about the time I start looking forward to that glass of wine. I'm not allowing myself to think about how much I'd enjoy it; I keep thinking about how I'll feel tomorrow morning.

Anyway, I made sober plans tonight -- I'm going for a run. Something about working up a really good sweat sounds like a good idea. And I'm going to post back on this thread before going to bed this evening to be able to say that I didn't drink tonight.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

A run is a good idea. Wear yourself out. The best part is you can keep going back if the cravings start. There isn't a limit. You can do it.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Luling

D
Old 05-21-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Luling View Post
You know, I think that just doing things differently than my usual routine will help.
I have to agree with you on that.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Lulling!

I spent a lot of time on here in the first days, reading, and that really helped fill some time, plus I found all kinds of tips to get through cravings. You did great by finding a creative solution to your regular dinner routine - way to go!!