Notices

Ouch! That's hot!!!!

Old 05-21-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Ouch! That's hot!!!!

How many times did it take before we learned that something can be hot? Once? Twice if you're a little slow on the uptake? Bottom line is we are all trainable.

I drank last night. And while I drunk posted that I was so sorry I make no apologies this morning. It's simply going to happen until I have learned those things that will keep me sober.

I read here over and over.... Day by day.... Even minute by minute.

I learned the true meaning of minute by minute yesterday.

This is not a post about woe is me. This is a post to tell you I worked the hell out of my plan. I have one hellova of a clean house to show for it. Had a great meal out with friends to remember. And I can remember.

But when our addiction comes at us in new ways we must adapt. I wont touch that flame again.

Today when I get home from work I will be grilling some good food. Going for ice cream.

I live in a large 1800's Victorian with a big front porch. Just planted the flower boxes and planters yesterday.

I am going to come home and admire the successful work from this weekends plan and work out now how I will handle a long holiday weekend coming up.

Reach out before next time.

Thank you all for your continued compassion. And it comes right back at you from me!

Ken
Old 05-21-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That was cool I'd like to post with that much dignity. I love the idea of drawing a line under every mistake and accepting that, although I will make others, I will never make that one again. That to me truly sounds like the secret to a happy life.

Thanks hun
xxx
Old 05-21-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
So it goes

Thats the way to do it

You took a long time to learn how to end up getting that drunk on a regular basis

It will take a time to unlearn

However, when the penny (cent for you Americans?) does drop, then believe me, sober is so kickass cool that you wonder why you ever bothered drinking

Keep it up
Billy
Old 05-21-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Ken,

I remember you saying you've rarely got through a weekend sober. Can I gently challenge you and say you've just added to that pattern, so what are you going to do to change that pattern next weekend and the weekends after that?

Good luck mate. I only want the best for you.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Michael thats a fair question. I appreciate you pointing this out. I have not had a sober weekend in a long time. Every Sunday evening I seem to fail. It is a pattern.

With the long holiday weekend coming up here I have to make sure the plan is well thought out.

It will include meetings. Not a fan of them but it will be necessary to reach out in person this weekend and not just here.

I also may make plans to go away for a night somewhere. I hate feeling like I am running from things but with three days of nothing but time it is something I should consider.

Let me ask you? How do you and for that matter any one here plan for long holiday weekends. What are you going to do to stay sober?

I would love to hear.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LDT

I plan on sailing. Being out on the water has helped me stay sober for almost 16 months. We will grill delicious food, make an incredible dessert, drink dark, rich coffee, fish, and be grateful for every moment. That's my plan.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Not pick up the first one
Old 05-21-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by weasel1966
But when our addiction comes at us in new ways we must adapt.
Addiction will always come at us in new ways...that's it's job. The key for me has been separating "me" from "it". Any thought that suggests drinking is "it". The answer is always no. Drinking has been removed as an option. This works well for me because then I don't have to constantly adapt to the ever changing ploys of the addictive voice. Knowing that everything "it" says is nonsense makes it easier to dismiss. AVRT uses this same kind of separating/identifying/dismissing paradigm.
Best to you in achieving your goals weasel. You can do whatever you put your efforts toward.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ken, I love that post. Just pick yourself up and move on. No shame here! One thing I've learned in the years that I've been coming around here and continually "getting back up" is that many people share that experience and we are always welcomed back with open arms.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Quitter

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Every Sunday evening I seem to fail. It is a pattern.
Why do you fail on Sunday evenings? What is it about Sunday?
Old 05-21-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Why Sunday's?

I post here with every shred of honesty. I cannot honestly answer that question.

That sounds like an excuse. It's not.

I can tell you all the same things we all can.

I am lonly... Sad... Bored... Happy...

Bottom line is what i said to someone else today.

I will stop when it's what I want. When I do it will just be something that is and not something I will look for.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
So it goes

I have just quoted it on another thread, but it fits here too
Kung Fu (1972)

Master Kan: Quickly as you can, snatch the pebble from my hand.
[Young Caine tries to do so and fails]
Master Kan: When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

You seriously feel no shame drunk posting on a sober site?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Weasel,

Friday was always my worst trigger moment of the week (at the end of the working week). I'm using a '32 week prayer retreat' as the basis of my recovery which seems to be working well so far, and I'll make sure that I read and pray using that early on Friday evening which is when I always wanted a drink most.

So far I'm actually finding things OK, and a big difference for me this time is the acceptance (a real coming to terms with things) that I will never drink alcohol again. The most difficult thing so far for me was accepting that, but it's OK now I have accepted it - it did feel a little like saying goodbye to a good friend, even though I knew the friend was not good for me.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you Michael. I do feel that acceptance is key as well. I think I have accepted things but only my actions tell me if I have. I obviously have some more work to do.

Sugar bear. Based on what I posted yesterday you would never know I was drunk when I did it. It was a simple appology to myself that needed to be made public to really mean something. I have never posted here under the influence other than that moment.

If you have a problem with that so be it. We are all here to get better.

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Quitter

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post

I will stop when it's what I want. When I do it will just be something that is and not something I will look for.
Oh...
I assumed you were here because stopping is something that you were looking to do...and something you wanted? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post?
Well, good luck with whatever you decide. I hope your drinking is not causing too many negative issues while you get it all sorted out.

Have a good day.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am here for the same reason everyone here is. I want to stop.

Sacasim is not really appreciated.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Weasel,

Stay strong in your resolve and your recovery. Hey...I am a re-tread also...do I like that face NO...Weasel you never have drink again, ever. You realize your down fall/patterns...make a plan and gain wisdom from suggestions here. Glad you are sober today and posting on SR...takes alot of courage.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by weasel1966
I believe recovery is an event. You are absolutely capable of stopping if you so desire.

I am here for the same reason everyone here is. I want to stop.
Your ambivalence suggests that you have an addiction you would like to end. Read about AVRT.

I am glad you are here and posting. Shame is irrelevent, not necessary, and can cloud the issue at hand. The issue is quitting for good and moving forward with life.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Relieved to hear from you Ken. I did the same thing many times, and came close to injuring myself or causing permanent health problems. I hope you learn it's hot permanently and go on to have a wonderful life. You have a great attitude, and I agree - no point in hanging your head and spending days filled with remorse. You learned something. Onward we go.