Notices

Upcoming test

Old 05-21-2012, 02:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Upcoming test

I've learned that this coming weekend is going to be a test for me. Housemates are heading to Vegas; for me that means no interruptions, etc. for several days.

In past, lets just say I would come home from work early just to further my time with no interuptions. The only reason I would leave the house would be to buy more beer. You know what I mean.

So I'm not worried, as I sit here now, I'm not scared I'm going to relaps. I don't believe I will. But I do recognize that this is a new situation. Never in the past ten years have i ever been in such a situation and not "taken full advantage" of the "opportunity." So my determination at this time is very different from the past.

I'm putting some thoughts into what I will do. I will be on the net, of course, as I have grown to enjoy this (here's hoping my butt doesn't grow as a consequence)....watch movies, while being on SR, etc. And make a list I guess of some things to accomplish...

I guess I will apply some commen sense. I wanted to post this however because as the week goes on and as the end of the week arrives, I don't want to change my mind "because I can." I'm trying to be honest with myself and you guys...and to honestly change and honesly beat this.

thanks for reading; have a great day~~~~
Old 05-21-2012, 02:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by scrambled2012 View Post
Never in the past ten years have i ever been in such a situation and not "taken full advantage" of the "opportunity."
Damn it's like I was typing it! Good luck and keep checking in.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Scrambled

Can you also get out for some physical activity - gym, running, cycling etc?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is Zorah your housemate...?

Recognising these 'new' situations is half the battle I think. I approach all my sober 'firsts' with the same apprehension and it feels good to tick them off the list x
Old 05-21-2012, 03:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a great feeling isn't it? A few weeks ago my girl went away for a few days to visit her family, I felt the same way. I honestly didn't even think about partying, thought about doing the same things I've been doing. Stood in the whole weekend, got a lot done around the house, I know in the future I'll be going out with friends etc, just still getting used to my new lifestyle.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Scrambled, you are one of the coolest people I know. Just the fact that you've pre-empted this and started preparing now is mind boggling. I'm going to follow this thread all through the weekend dude - be with you all the way. Lists are good, achieving things is always good, SR is good. And I'm with Michael - exercise is brilliant.

Already proud of you xxx
Old 05-21-2012, 03:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
So it goes

You can do it Scrambled
Had a weekend to myself recently, and did a Billy film festival, of Woody Allen films, got through 7,
So good I want to repeat it!!!
and no booze was served
Old 05-21-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillyPilgrim View Post
You can do it Scrambled
Had a weekend to myself recently, and did a Billy film festival, of Woody Allen films, got through 7,
So good I want to repeat it!!!
and no booze was served
Woody Allen fan!? Recently just watched a bunch of my favorite films of his, Bananas, Annie Hall, and one of my favorites although it isn't a classic...Small Time Crooks. The guy is such a great producer.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
So it goes

I decided the money (and time) I spent drinking could be better invested buying up his DVDs and watching the lot , they go for about 3 quid a go on Amazon so I am spending less than I did on booze. I am currently through 35 of 72, and to tell the truth, although with some you wonder why he made the film (in Scenes from a Mall, he wears a ponytail for God's sake) not one have I regretted watching, and some are total hidden gems.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thoughts and kind words, much appreciated. Yea, physical activity, with my dog; maybe three or four fast walks a day would be cool. And I could at least fix up my bike. Its in perfect condition but has been sitting for about 5 years.

Also, the Woody Alan marathon reminds me, it might be cool to pick up an entire TV series of something cool on DVD that I haven't seen. I don't watch a lot of TV so I'm sure I've missed some pretty good shows.

I am looking foward to this in a couple of ways; being able to play the radio at 2am and get things done whenever I feel like it. Yea, it will be a sober first~~~

Have a great night~~~
Old 05-21-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you'll be fine Scrambled - and you'll be able to look back at this as a turning point

D
Old 05-21-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Scrambled,

I've had quite a few tests in the past year. A new One most recently being a Managers Retreat with ten others. I prepare myself always. It's almost second nature to me now.

You're preparing yourself for success.

Good stuff Scambled. Self awareness is a gift
Old 05-21-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Don't forget to get some good stuff to eat, too. (That always works for me!)
Old 05-21-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
You so got this Scrambled...
The sky's the limit on what you can do as a nondrinker. I relish my alone time. Sometimes I do a bunch of stuff, sometimes not one damn thing and I love it.
enjoy...
Old 05-22-2012, 02:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's funny--well not really--how in past events, ya plan on "getting a lot done" along with drinking, and then end up getting close to zero accomplished; and what did get done was done poorly!

....and then running out of time, trying to clean up, beer bottles in large black trash bags, building up in the trunk for a run to the dump, and even that would get put off until later!

This time, not gonna happen~~!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
yeah...I made a lot of grand plans as a drunk. Really when it came down to it, my options were sorely limited. Get drunk or get drunk...or maybe get drunk. Hmmmm...
Old 05-22-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scrambled2012 View Post
It's funny--well not really--how in past events, ya plan on "getting a lot done" along with drinking, and then end up getting close to zero accomplished
Totally. God yeah. For fricken years. We love seein how much we can fit in now - it's a real challenge.

You know one of my favourites? Napping. I could never do it before - I mean, you nap drunk and you're going to wake up eight hours later with a hangover, right?

Well, now we do shtloads of things when we first get up, knacker ourselves out, come home, grab books and a cup of tea and read on the bed till we fall asleep. Get an hour, jump back up rarin to go!

Awesome.

Plus, you know, since you're already IN the bedroom...

Sod booze. You got plans, dude xxx
Old 05-22-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Anyplace in your "area" that you've meant to explore but haven't gotten round to yet? A park, mall, museum, etc?

I find it important to practice leaving the house for something restful and positive, rather than just leaving to buy more beer.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I plan on walking to a shoestore on Sat., at the very least, and finding a replacement for my workboots. Freaking heels are falling off. Unreal. Maybe doing some power walking before daylight. Having a feeling I will be awake plenty.

Wow. Had the AV pop out today. I freaking knew it would. It was the classic "no one would know" and "I deserve" sort of stuff. Wanna laugh? I recalled a thread on the topic where a poster talking about the AV said something like "blah blah blah I tell it to shut the hell up." That made me laugh. The word "blah" just reads funny.

Its strange though; reminding you that you're in charge.

Seems like there's a lot of crap in the air tonight, stress is written on the walls. How ironic. It is part of the classic pattern, but it will not be an excuse. I need to remember this is even less about me then about my role as an adult citizen worthy of trust. I need to remember that getting buzzed leads to getting trashed and infintile behavior. I need to move past my preoccupation with getting intoxicated and work on developing a deeper and more meaningful exsistence....and i need to deal with my emotions and thoughts in a sober state, no matter what they are. Getting drunk will only make everything worse. Staying sober will be an accomplishment I can be proud of. Nobody outside these boards will give a rats ass, but at least I will know it, and move forward from it.

Happy Thursday guys. Tomorrow the day will start extreamly early. See you Friday night~~~
Old 05-24-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scrambled2012
Its strange though; reminding you that you're in charge.
absofrickinlutely...

and blah blah blah is hilarious...very "Charlie Brown's teacher" if you know what I mean.