Notices

Chronic Marijuana Abuse

Old 05-20-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chronic Marijuana Abuse

Hello Everyone,

I am a 17 year old, and since last summer when I started smoking marijuana I had become a regular user. I started out from only using once a month to every weekend to every other day which lead me to becoming a daily user. then at one point I realized it was effecting my memory. I was not able to remember things like i used to, but even that didnt stop me and help me quit because i was addicted. also I was starting to feel weird when I was high, weird feelings of being uncomfortable in my own body. Then on the last night of spring break this year (4/20) I smoked weed and it messed me up. I was shaking uncontrollably, I was hearing sounds, and had a rushing heartbeat. I couldnt control my own body and felt like i was dying. it was the first time anything like that ever happened. I was scared and wanted to go to the hospital but i couldnt admit to my parents all the horrible things i have done, so I sat there without knowing what to do with my controllable body. The next morning I woke up emotionally scared not being able to comprehend what has happened to me. I remember waking up and crying and feeling as if i just got violated. a month went but and I didnt smoke I felt so much better my memory was coming back and I felt in charge and in control of my life. This weekend I met my old friends for the first time in a year and one of them is a huge pot smoker. He smokes 2 or 3 times a day, more if he had more money. He was stupid, annoying, and child-like. He smoked himself stupid, although he is doing ok in school I felt like I was talking to a child every time he talked. we smoked and it happened again I bugged out, But now i know i never want to do it again.

Also I noticed that his head had not grown much and was actually pretty small. I noticed this about my head too, that it was small compared to others. I think heavy use of marijuana has stunt the growth of our brains. Is This possible? have I failed my intellectual potential because I abused drugs as a teen? or if I stop everything will be fine? I have been so scared since I saw him.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi TheOne
Welcome

I smoked daily for about 25 years.

Naturally if you're really concerned, a Dr is the best person to talk to and allay your fears, but if you stop now, I'm confident you won't have any long term ill effects from one or two times

D
Old 05-21-2012, 02:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theone123 View Post
Also I noticed that his head had not grown much and was actually pretty small. I noticed this about my head too, that it was small compared to others. I think heavy use of marijuana has stunt the growth of our brains. Is This possible? have I failed my intellectual potential because I abused drugs as a teen? or if I stop everything will be fine? I have been so scared since I saw him.
I think this may be the pot freaking you out hun...saying that I definitely think booze shrunk my brain!

That sounds like a short period of time to start using everyday. I'd be careful with alcohol too if you drink.

Glad you've decided to quit forever
Old 05-21-2012, 02:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
I think this may be the pot freaking you out hun...saying that I definitely think booze shrunk my brain!

That sounds like a short period of time to start using everyday. I'd be careful with alcohol too if you drink.

Glad you've decided to quit forever
Was just about to say the exact same thing. Pot definitely messed with my head. Glad I stopped that years ago. Well done for quitting.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like you got something laced or you had a panic attack. I've had both happen to me and neither are fun. The best way to avoid that is to quit smoking. Things will fall back into place if you do. Just make sure you don't take up drinking, like I did, when I quit smoking. The panic and feelings are ten times worse coming off of booze than I've ever had from laced weed or panic attacks smoking weed... Good luck.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with walktheline1 all the way across the board here.

I hope you heed the warnings your body is sending you and don't make the same mistake I did by replacing the weed with booze. Best of luck in your recovery
Old 05-21-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

First thing I would like to address is the fact that your head is certainly not shrinking! I am not a medical doctor, and I know how this board is about medical advice, but I think it is pretty safe to say that your head is not shrinking in size. I am willing to bet that your friends head is not shrinking in size either.

Marijuana is a fairly benign drug physically if you do not consider the long term effects that harsh smoking has on your lungs. Typically people will not overdose, and die while smoking this drug unless you have some sort of allergy or other adverse reaction.

I was hopelessly addicted to Marijuana for about 3 years. Although I do not believe that Marijuana will cause someone to die, or shrink their heads - I do believe that Marijuana can cause intense and severe psychological/emotional harm to the user. Marijuana is a very peculiar drug that skus reality to the point where the user can experience overblown and intense emotions. This is why paranoia often becomes a strong side-effect of this drug. Someone under the influence of THC can look at a pack of gum, and suddenly consider every step involved in the manufacture and distribution of that pack of gum, and then take it further to consider exactly how that pack of gum seemed to make its way to the users hand. Suddenly the concept of the pack of gum making some sort of epic journey from its point of orgin to your hand becomes an intense emotional experience for which the user feels the need to share with anyone that is around him/her. Yea... This is not normal. In your case, it seems that you pieced together a strand of cause/effect situations that ultimately caused the shrinking of yours, and your friends, heads.

Marijuana is a dangerous psychological drug. Its effects can cause very serious damage to the users perceptions of reality, and can ultimately cause the user to see the world differently than it really is.

This is why I had to stop using it. My emotions and perceptions became too much to handle, and it had to stop.

You are young, stop now, and move on with your life. Be happy that you caught this at such a young age. And please - understand that your head is not shrinking..