Notices

Sober but husband blind drunk

Old 05-20-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good for you Jeni for staying strong. Beware of the next few days. I hung in with my husband for a couple of ugly evenings (we were dealing with financial crisis, he coped with vodka). However, a few days later, I caved to the first temptation telling myself I deserved it for not caving earlier (and for getting past 30 days). Bad move. Now on day 28 having not caved despite similar temptations.

You're so right, seeing our former selves in them is an unpleasant but useful eyeopener.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thankyou for that, it couldn't have come at a better time spookily enough, as my mind was wandering onto thinking how much I deserve a glass of wine today while he's out!!
Isn't the alcoholic brain a weird thing!?
I'm still close enough at 6 weeks to remember how ill alcohol was making me fortunately! Thanks for the kindly reminder not to slip though xx
Old 05-21-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Isn't the alcoholic brain a weird thing!?
Yes! And it looks for any daft excuse. But you've got this under wraps - you know the deal now. Reward yourself by gettin your butt onto SR and telling us just how amazing you are

You're amazing! xxx
Old 05-21-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Jeni- I know how you feel. I just got back from my therapist's office and he told me in no uncertain terms that I can't be sober unless I bar my boyfriend from drinking around me - my bf is in recovery for drugs (6 years sober) but still drinks on occasion. I agree with the others though- let it remind you of why you don't want to go there again.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wow, that sounds strong. Not sure he would listen to me though and it would just drive his drinking 'underground'. I certainly wouldn't have stopped drinking if he'd have asked me to a few months back. Denial is very powerful.
Anyway, I'm just home from a brilliant AA meeting and the main share was by someone I used to work with many years ago. I never knew she was an alcoholic at all, and it was lovely to see her again. I feel really confident sharing in front of the group now and I spoke about my husband and the situation.
They were all so supportive and understood completely how hard it is.
They just told me the same as you all do, carry on and stay sober. Hopefully he will notice how things are changing for the better. As my world is expanding to include new friends and activities, he may want to make changes to his own.
It has given me real hope xxx
Old 05-21-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Anyway, I'm just home from a brilliant AA meeting and the main share was by someone I used to work with many years ago. I never knew she was an alcoholic at all, and it was lovely to see her again. I feel really confident sharing in front of the group now and I spoke about my husband and the situation.
They were all so supportive and understood completely how hard it is.
They just told me the same as you all do, carry on and stay sober. Hopefully he will notice how things are changing for the better. As my world is expanding to include new friends and activities, he may want to make changes to his own.
It has given me real hope xxx

That's what it's all about Jeni...Hope. Sounds like a great meeting.