Notices

Checking in

Old 05-18-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in

I am going through withdrawals again. After the last time the main managment talked me into trying the 5 mg instead of the 15 that my system was clean, so I said ok, but they five didn't work and so I had to double up just to manage the pain. they aren't going to prescribe anything else until I go back the 6th of June. Tried calling them several times and they were very clear. The last two days have been hell, but I am starting to feel better tonight. There have got to be better ways of pain managment then these poweful narcotic drugs that they give us and then we become addicted and dependent on them and then feel like hell if we don't take them?

Yes, I know my choice is pain or pain meds. Yet, I want to see if in these three weeks until June 6, I can get all the opiates out of my system and then when I go back tell them I don't want any narcotic drugs or any other drugs that take away your life and slowly eat your dreams because you need your oxycodone pills. I want to go to the United Kindgom and see England/Soctland where my grandparents are from. I want to see a Manchester United game as my grandmum was from Manchester. Go Manchester United. I want to see Skye where my MacDonald Clan is from and see Ireland and Wales. Maybe that will keep me clean and focus in planing a trip back to my homeland. I can only achieve that if I can get myself free of the oxcodone and pain pills that are killing me inside.

I have been on these pills for over 3 years and I would still be on them, if up to the pain management people. I think it is terrible that in this nation we have lots of people who are in valid pain and suffer medical problems turned into opiate addicts. Why not try other forms of treatment?
Old 05-18-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was talking with a friend the other day about how bad that problem really is...And how easy those drugs are to get. When I went to rehab for my alcohol problem...Three quarters of the people there were young kids with opiate problems...Oxy's being number one....It's horrific. I admire your strength Chrisy...And I think you'll be seeing those places...It's good to hear from you. You're still in my prayers that you get some relief from that pain....Without drugs.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know my choice is pain or pain meds.
It makes me sad when I see people say that.

Chrisy I don't know what your personal pain issue or what the medical situation is like in the States but here I kept looking til I found a Dr who would look at my pain management issues from a non addictive perspective.

My advice is to never give up looking for a solution that addresses both your issues- I hope others will be along to offer more tangible support from a US perspective

D
Old 05-18-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Opiates are fast becoming as big a problem as alcohol. During my two times in rehab i saw a lot of young people who were hooked on pills and older people who were pill addicts due to legit pain. It's awful. I can only hope that medicine can stop taking the easy route with pain management and start really looking into non-narcotics. It's sad.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the good replys. It is 4:26 am here in AZ and I couldn't sleep. Day 3. My headache seems to be gone and am drinking lots of water to try and clean out my system and stay hydrated, though not eating much which is good. I am diabetic so check my sugar levels to make sure they don't get to low.

Part of the problem in the states is that it is cheaper to give us pain pills then fix the problem. Many of us are on state insurance and they don't approve a lot of options. So the sad fact is that for many of us, who have shoulder/neck injuries and problems it is pain or the powerful oxycodone pain pills. If you want to try other methods such as acupunture you must pay for it yourself and it is very expensive. Even massage is very expensive and in my case have been told would only make things worst.

I see my shoulder doctor on the 13th and pt hasn't worked so the next step is surgery and trying to get the state to approve that surgery is not going to be easy. They only allow me to test once a day for my sugar levels. Plus I have to have eye surgery on both eyes, but not on the same day, so now they are going to be asked to pay for shoulder surgery.

In Montana where my friend lives they have clinics that help people and base the fee on their income so one can choose other options. Where I live we don't have that and it is state insurance and they choose oxycodone to deal with the pain, but not the problem.

Yes, it is sad, that so many people have become addicted to opiates.

God bless
Chrisy
Old 05-19-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I also was prescribed oxycodone from my PMdr for a lower back injury. After 2years I decided that I no longer had to go through the pain of an opiate addiction and an injury. I am currently 17 days with no oxy and everything is starting to get better. I found a new doctor who is trying healthier ways to relieve my pain; mainly through a healthy diet and physical therapy (I never thought that would work - but so far it is). The pain no longer bothers me, all I want is to be free of the opiates. I know you said Phys Therapy didnt work, can try seeing a nutritionist, i swear by it now. _ wish you all the best
jesse
Old 05-19-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know how frustrating it can be to deal with chronic pain and have very few options to deal with it. I have found that yoga helps me a lot with back and neck pain. I'm glad you're getting through this and I hope you continue to feel better.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for the posts. Jesse, that is wonderful. I haven't given up the pt yet, go back Tuesday. Will be day 6 for me, so I hope I will feel like I am in the land of the living again, lol. I do my exercises that they told me to do to add the strength in my shoulder, so hopefully the new tests will show that it has helped. My insurance only pays for 14 days of pt a year, and I have had 9 already, so I will only have a few more visits left, but if I can continue to do some of the excercises at home, then hopefully that will help.

Still can't eat anything. Lost 10 lbs in two days. just when I think the diarhea is over, it is back again, and now I am feeling a little better, so hopefully food will will be able stay down me and it will start tasting better.

Hopefully, I am at the end of the worst of it. Yet, I have been on these pain pills for years, so I don't know if mine will be easy. I was on pot when I didn't have insurance to deal with the chronic pain. pot withdrawls seem easier to me.

At least I have made step one, that I am powerless and the oxycodone is enslaving me and sucking the life out of me and keeping me from achieving my goal of going back to the UK, my homeland and rejoining the Daughters of the British Empire here in the states. I used to be in Mayflower and Daughters of the American Revolution, but I want to take one group at a time and the DBE is the most important to me. One step at a time.

I am so grateful I found this forum, you might have saved my life, by making me face the truth. Thank you for being here.

Love and Blessings
Chrisy
Old 05-19-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wasn't able to make today's na meeting in Chandler, but am aiming for Tuesday night. Am a shy person until I get to know someone, so this will be a big step going alone. Hopefully, I will make a friend or two and am looking forward to being with people who understand what I am going through.

Have a natural healing book and they said to eat banana, apple sauce and light eating for a couple of days as my body is cleaning out all the toxins. Been checking my sugar levels and so far right where they should be. Don't feel I need to go to urgent care, but just bare it.

Actually watched one of my fav. movies, love actually with Colin Firth, Hugh Grant, and a lot of my fav actors and actresses. Took my mind off what I am feeling and realize that I do have something to aim and strive for. I want to go to England and Scotland and vist and trace my family roots. I have had better luck on my Scottish side and want to trace my grandmum Emma Thompson and her father James Thompson. Her mother was Martha Clark Very common names, so if I am there in person I might be able to trace her line back. Later I am going to watch one of my Jane Austin movies. I love Jane Austin and have many of her books and movies. I have my grandpa birth certificate, but not my grandmum. Just know she is from Manchester.

Talked to my mom and shared with her what I am going through and going to NA and getting my life back and move forward and get to the the UK where I belong. Well share later.

Thanks for being here and saving my life, by making me see the truth of how my life was being sucked out of me and I was wasting away. There is life after all this bad stuff I have had to go through in my life. Everything though has made me stronger and taught me through the school of hard knocks.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just finished watching Pride and Prejudice, one of my fav. books and movies. Though the book is always better. I love the new version as Keira Knightley is so good as Elizabeth Benneth. I love colin firth as Mr. Darcy, but Matthew Macfadyen is a good Mr. Darcy too.

I think the runs are finally over. I hope so. 3 days of feeling like hell is enough. Hope tomorrow I will start feeling stronger and in the land of the living. It does help to watch movies and take your mind off how you are feeling.

Tuesday, I plan to go to my first NA meeting. We have them twice a week near where I live. That should be day 6 so I should be feeling a little better then I have been feeling. Hope I can sleep tonight. For me the only way I could quit is to do it cold turkey. Either way at some point we have to go through the withdrawals.

I am so glad I found this forum. I hope to make friends here who understand and will support my decision to get clean and off the oxycodone and other opiate narcotic drugs. 10 years is to long. All because a doctor said I had fibro when I don't. I have a shoulder and neck problem that I hope can be fixed with surgery. How long will it take the state to approve the surgery if they even will is the question. Any way I have two eye sugeries,not at the same time starting in June. So it looks like this Summer I will be in the hospital having surgeries. I hate hospitals. Thank God the eye surgery is out patient.

Well good night, pray that I can sleep better then last night and that the runs are finally over for me.

Love and blessings

Chrisy
Old 05-20-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Having a terrible night and can't sleep, it is about 5 am here. I still have the runs. Lost 12 lbs so far, which is ok, as I need to loose a lot of weight, but I wouldn't encourage the withdrawal diet on anyone. not even my worst enemy. How long does this first step last of getting clean and getting to feel human again?

Posted this forum on my blog, as I hope my dear friend who is on the same oxycodone for valid pain issues like I am will come and join and make the decision to get off this merry go round of drugs that is sucking the life out of us. We both made the decision to get out of a group that was not good for us, and risked fighting them, and now I hope we can make the choice to start the next struggle we must face in order to be healthy in body, mind, and soul. I think the drugs kept us from seeing the reality of who we were involved with. Maybe someday I will share that part of my life. Am taking a break from fighting them, but when I am healthy and thinking clearly, will continue to tell the truth and expose their lies. Not every man you meet and falls in love with you is a good man. Some abuse you, some are involved in somthing that is not good. Yet, they love you and for a while you only see the love they seem to offer, until you are sucked in and the real person comes out and you realize you are involved with someone who would never be involved with if you were thinking clearly. I don't know if anyone can understand that.

Someone posted we have to all go through the withdrawals at some point, so it might as well be now. I hope I remember so when I go back to the pain management doctor, I will tell then no opiate narco drugs. Find other ways and deal with neck issues and solve the problem and not just keep me a drug addict that is wasting away. I can see why some can't make it through the withdrawals. It takes a strong person to make it through cold turkey. I always learned through the school of hard knocks so what else is new.

I hope that this is the last sleepless night. Day four. Though because I was on them so long, it might take me longer to get them all out of my system. I am glad it isn't easy, so I will remember the hell.

I am so grateful I found this forum, and will start na. I was going to go Tuesday night, but realize untill I have my eyes operated on in June I cannot drive at night, so I might have to wait until the Saturday noon meeting, after that I am sure I can find someone who will drive me.

I am a fighter and a survivor. I will survive this as well. Our struggles only make us stronger or they kill us. I choose to overcome and become like good hard steel.

God bless everyone here, who is going through this withdrawals. We can make it through to 30 days. That is my first goal.

Chrisy