Notices

first post here

Old 05-18-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first post here

hi....
not sure what to say. i've been an alcoholic for years now- i'm 31 and have been drinking since a teen. over the years it's gotten more and more out of control, and this past year has been awful. i've been hospitalized, missed many days of work, and even tried antabuse a few times.
last night i got incredibly drunk, and i was late for work this morning and showed up still drunk. i realized i couldn't be there, and had to leave. i'm exhausted, and overcome with shame and fear. i'm worried i will be in trouble at work, and i'm so embarassed of what my co-workers and bosses must think. my family and friends have heard me say 'i'm sorry', and 'i'm quitting' more times than i can count, and i can't imagine how they can trust anything i say. i'm writing just to get this out, but if anyone has advice on how to deal with this shame and guilt, i would love any feedback.
thank you...
Old 05-18-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Welcome and I sure do understand how you feel at this point. No one in your life believes anything you say, trust is gone, and the shame is always there. I'm so glad you found us because we can offer you lots of support.

The best thing you can do is stop drinking now and don't buy anymore alcohol. You can deal with the work situation on Monday and see what happens. But, however it works out, you need to focus on recovery.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah...I can totally relate to that story....You can't help yourself if you are drinking...Anna's right...Put it down and get rid of what you got. You say you've been hospitalized...Are you OK detoxing on your own? Have you talked to a doctor about quitting?
Old 05-18-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Changer - welcome! That's the stage I had reached when I finally quit for the last time. I was in my 50's, though - not 31 - so you're facing reality sooner than I did.

For me, I kept trying to get back the euphoric, fun feeling I once got from drinking. It had been many years since it had actually been enjoyable, but still I kept at it. Instead of seeing the danger signs and taking action, the way you are, I continued until I almost lost my life.

For the first few weeks after I quit I would lay awake and replay in my mind the awful things that happened while I was drunk. I'd walk the floor and rehash every stupid and dangerous thing I'd done. I realized I would never heal or move forward until I forgave myself and stopped the guilt and remorse. It was destroying me, and I was tempted to numb the pain - so I had to develop a new attitude. Give yourself a break and concentrate on getting well. Leave the old, sick life behind - don't torment yourself with the past. When people see how great you're doing the memories of what happened before you quit will fade away.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was just in the same position your in about 3 weeks ago. I ended up in jail and lost my job at the same time. You have to sit down and look at what you want. And if your like me, you don't want that shame and guilt that we live with everyday. You need to push yourself to want a better life. The only way to get there is to start the recover process.If your friends and family are telling you its a problem...they are probably correct. Pretty much the way to save yourself, your job and keep the friends is to STOP DRINKING. It sucks at first but after 18 days sober. Life looks a lot clearer. Hope you find your way.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Changer, you have to decide right now what kind of life you want. Think about your future and the legacy you want to leave. Don't dwell on the past. You can't change it. Take the steps now so you won't have to add anything to your list of sins.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by changer View Post
hi....
not sure what to say. i've been an alcoholic for years now- i'm 31 and have been drinking since a teen. over the years it's gotten more and more out of control, and this past year has been awful. i've been hospitalized, missed many days of work, and even tried antabuse a few times.
last night i got incredibly drunk, and i was late for work this morning and showed up still drunk. i realized i couldn't be there, and had to leave. i'm exhausted, and overcome with shame and fear. i'm worried i will be in trouble at work, and i'm so embarassed of what my co-workers and bosses must think. my family and friends have heard me say 'i'm sorry', and 'i'm quitting' more times than i can count, and i can't imagine how they can trust anything i say. i'm writing just to get this out, but if anyone has advice on how to deal with this shame and guilt, i would love any feedback.
thank you...
My advice would be not to focus on shame or guilt feelings. We don't have to act on feelings today.

What you have is an opportunity.

You have been presented with a problem, but there is a solution. You have an opportunity to learn from this and to change.

Thank God, you have been led here to SR, and are now among others that have found the way out.

Many people never make it to recovery. Someday you might be grateful that this bad thing that happened turned out to be the catalyst to your recovery.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ah, the shame and guilt, I nearly forgot about that...

I reckon you have to ignore that for a bit. But I found that a lot of that evaporated as I got sober. As I got more confident in my sobriety I realised it didn't matter what other people thought but rather what I thought of myself. It is probably likely that you are your severest critic though.

Things may be up and down for a while but you will start to feel better once you get sober.

I'm about the same age as you and It feels good when you realise that you actually have a pretty decent amount of life ahead of you

Glad you're here x
Old 05-18-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.:ghug3 I quit drinking over two years ago (I'm 60) and haven't felt this good in ages. You're off to a good start and I wish you well in your recovery.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you, everyone. just got back from a meeting and it feels good to know there are so many of us out there...
Old 05-18-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's great that you went to a meeting the same day you quit. That takes a lot of courage and really shows you want to change, congrats on making a great decision!
Old 05-18-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thank you, everyone. just got back from a meeting and it feels good to know there are so many of us out there...
I have to agree with you on that. No reason to do this alone.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know for me admitting to others that I am an alcoholic and I want help has been a gamechanger.
If you really want to stop drinking and you admit you have a drinking problem to the people you work with it really changes things.
I thought everyone knew I was an alcoholic but it was my paranoia- they all said they had no idea.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome changer!

Glad you're getting support today - it's just about impossible to do this on our own. As you said, there are a lot of us out there!

Keep reading and posting - We know how it feels and we're here to support you!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i'm exhausted, and overcome with shame and fear. i'm worried i will be in trouble at work, and i'm so embarassed of what my co-workers and bosses must think. my family and friends have heard me say 'i'm sorry', and 'i'm quitting' more times than i can count, and i can't imagine how they can trust anything i say. i'm writing just to get this out, but if anyone has advice on how to deal with this shame and guilt, i would love any feedback.
thank you...
I was recently in a similar situation. I got online and Joined SR that day. It has been incredibly helpful. I am now 1 week sober.

Feelings of shame, guilt and worthlessness are very destructive and I think are the driving force for drinking. At least in my case.

What helped me is to look at the many blessings I have in my life, and to realize I WILL lose them if I keep drinking. Your moment to remember is walking in to work drunk. That can be your lowest point. You never want to do this again right? If you keep drinking this will be far from your lowest point.

Join us Changer, reaching out is a huge first step.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HitRockBottom70 View Post
Feelings of shame, guilt and worthlessness are very destructive and I think are the driving force for drinking. At least in my case.
For me...Drinking was the driving force for shame, guilt and worthlessness...Not to mention anxiety and depression....Think about it.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mate atleast ye know. You can do it n make this a thing of the past.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
So it goes

Changer
Welcome to SR, I can vouch for the fact that once you start drinking, life may not get better, but your ability to cope with it and seize and enjoy the good times, and cope with the bad ones does

And boy is that worth it
Billy
Old 05-19-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How to deal with shame and guilt - my philosophy is: don't. Step away from it. It is no longer you, from the minute you quit. And it is toxic.

The sun rose today on an entirely new world, full of possibilities.

Yes, people may remember the old you, and be wary at times; and there may be clutter from your past. Sweep it away and be your future.

And one thing I did that turned out better than expected: I saw a doctor and was honest. I had expected this to be a shaming experience and it was not; he was very constructive and encouraging, and had actual good advice (imagine that! ) about nutrition, exercise etc.

Best wishes to you and keep posting - this is a wonderful place to learn.