Notices

Class of May 2012 Part 2

Old 05-19-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chiyo View Post
The urge to drink was just too strong last night and like a weak little person I gave in.
chiyo.....You have to lose this attitude.....You're right...The pity party is over....Let's get it right this time. Don't drink today chiyo...You're here for a reason and we can do this.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrenchPink View Post
Thanks for staying on top of my sobriety goals, GB...Any words of wisdom to help me stay strong through tonight?
FP: I wrote you some advice last weekend about not making it so easy to find yourself with that open bottle of wine and a full glass. ( I'm typing on my phone so this will be brief and typo laden...)

Throw up some checkpoints, some barriers where you will be forced to pause and ask yourself if you really want this sobriety or that drink. Short term want (just 1 drink) vs. term goal (a strong healthy sober you)

What does this look like? Make specific plans where you will be away from drinking, hand over your keys, get rid of your drinking gear, don't carry your money... Stay on this forum (tonight) and "talk" to like minded people...you get the idea.

Are you reading any of the books people discuss on the forums? Or following any "expert" suggestions? I'm not an AA guy and so I've been actively trying to find other frameworks to help give my sobriety some mental structure and I have found them to help me examine and confront what I've been blindly doing to myself.

Are you using any methods to assist you to make changes to what you've tried before? You know what they say about doing the same thing and expecting a different result...
Old 05-19-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here for you both chiyo and FP

chiyo - you're not weak - you're addicted - there is a difference.

But you can turn this around - find more support....whatever it is....check everything out....

Here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

Go harder longer faster to find things and people to help...work harder on not drinking than anything else.

I know you want to be sober. Don't let self doubt or defeating self talk like 'I'm weak' put you off.

I really believe you can do this

I believe you can do it too FP - what better motivation is there than being who you want to be, living the life you want to lead?

D

Last edited by Dee74; 05-19-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I am signing into May class...relapsed after 28 days on Friday night. I was soooooooo wanting to get to 30 days! Now back at square one, day 2 and have survived one of the worst hangovers ever. God, it's awful. Why do we do this to ourselves?
Old 05-19-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kellyrally View Post
Why do we do this to ourselves?
Welcome back kellyrally...It took me a long time to figure that out...Find something that works and work it.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Payton...I just want to say congrats on Day 5 and you're doing an awesome job recruiting for the May class...Keep it up!
Old 05-19-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

That's what we call welcoming the newcomer...And you guys all have more time than a lot people signing on...It's a good thing.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Sapling is that your dog? So cute!

Welcome Kelly I really hope you're not beating yourself up over it too much. It's happened and it does you no good to continue feeling bad about it.

I'm doing alright I'm back home and cleaning everything I can because it all smells like my roommates cigarette smoke or like beer probably from me spilling it while I was drinking.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Thank you for your notes of personal support, HitRockBottom70, Sapling, GingerB, and Dee. I really needed them today.

Tough work/family week all around. Toiled in the sun most of today all icky, sweaty, finally finished up and all I could picture to throw down my gullet was a big, fat goblet of chilled red wine to make it all disappear. Heck with it all and deal with the fallout tomorrow, right? Thought about grabbing the keys and making the dash, but figured I must log into my SR Sober Squad for a peek, first.

Thank goodness I did. Words from all of your posts helped snap me back to reality. I'm truly appreciative, everybody. Phew!

Drank no wine and feeling fine.
A slice of heaven on sober Day 7.

Welcome to all new joiners. You've come to the right place.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

KellyR,
I did not know what to say so I was waiting for others. I have only one week under my belt. I guess a big WELCOME Is good enough. Your experiences can certainly be used in helping the May group achieve our goals. Hopefully we can return the favor for you.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Yeah...That's my mutt. He has his 5th Birthday May 30th.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by GingerBeer View Post
FP: I wrote you some advice last weekend about not making it so easy to find yourself with that open bottle of wine and a full glass.
Yes, you did. I'm one of those "special" people who never listens the first time. And my selective memory is, um, uh......hmmm.....what were you talking about?

Thank you for your patient support, GB. I appreciate your help tremendously.

How are you doing on the sober front?
Old 05-19-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the group Kelly

Many of us falter...it's really hard to change our lives, and that's really what we're trying to do.

I think the thing to remember is you made 28 days - that's great...it shows you have it in you to quit

Now you just have to think about what else you need to do - what do you need to add - to make the switch a permanent one?

you'll find a ton of support here

D

Last edited by Dee74; 05-19-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HitRockBottom70 View Post
I have only one week under my belt.
That's a week more than a lot of people have...Be proud of that...And hang onto it tightly.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Finally out of town, on the wifi, and wife getting ready to go out to dinner.....drive was just long enough to feel like we "got somewhere", bed and breakfast is amazing and historic....wine and cheese spread was a little trying, so I took it out on the cheese tray....wife had to pinch me, I was takin' more than my share, LOL.

Not worried about dinner at all, having a sparkling water right now with lime and it is quite tasty......then a walk on the river...great night ahead! And I will wake up tomorrow....for breakfast....without a headache....without regrets!!!

Check-in later!!!
lee
Old 05-19-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Good job Lee.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

FrenchPink, Way to hang in there. I don't know what time zone you are in but I'm glad Sober Day 7 is receding in your rear view.

Same as you, today I've been doing some yard work and I came into the house and opened the fridge...and could have EASILY opened a beer (glad I don't have them anymore!). Habits and impulses are all around.

But actually, I am really surprised at how this is going...the cravings are not so bad and if I get one I kind of step out of my head and examine it (it being my impulse to drink) and think "Well, well, well...look who's back. Mr. 'Have a Beer' just can't get it through his head that we don't drink anymore! Sucker! I must be thirsty...where's my Ginger Beer!"

Seriously, I'm doing pretty good with this and I'm looking forward to closing out week 2. As I said, I've been reading (and listening to audio books) which have helped to plant some good thought patterns in my mind. I resonated with something Leemzer wrote this morning about a recovery plan vs. stopping drinking. In the past I've managed to gut it out and abstain for short periods (as sort of a 'check myself' exercise. And those periods have been like count downs to summer vacation when I was a kid: 6 days left! 5 days left!

This time around, like Leemzer wrote, I'm feeling more like I am recovering myself not simply stopping drinking. I'm not going to drink anymore...it is so obvious that I can't drink alcohol like other people. And so this isn't an endurance test or something I'm "trying out" to see how it feels...I'm not having sober days mixed with drinking or limiting myself to 1 or 2. Cutting down and only made me feel deprived and want more..

And now that I have some success at not drinking I'm enjoying that bit of success immensely and don't want to trash it. I know that I would feel so disappointed with myself for so many reasons if I slip - and I KNOW that I can do this - not even one sip of alcohol when no one is around. I've been dishonest and have hidden so much of my drinking from others that it (hiding) was bleeding into other parts of my life.

At times, quitting drinking feels sh*tty. But so did continuing drinking after it was well established that I was using it in unhealthy ways (for me and the people I love). That sh*tty feeling is what is helping me to STAY stopped. Isolating that feeling - examining it closely, while not an out of body experience, is like looking at someone else doing something stupid in a movie and knowing what is going to come next. Resisting that impulse is POWER. I am kicking its butt, absorbing the pain it wants to inflict on me and RISING HIGHER (insert maniacal laugh here)

Congrats to all on the board and here's to re-discovering ourselves.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Fdm

Saturday night update.

I'm drinking Cheerwine with my pulled pork, baked potato and baked beans.

Never had it before. Maybe I need a "treat" like this, since I'm pretty strict with my food and drink every day. The only fluids I have (besides alcohol when I falter) are water, coffee and occasional soy milk.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

What's Cheerwine?....Sounds like something I would stay away from.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to look it up LOL...cherry cola

D