Notices

O'Douls as a beer sub

Old 05-17-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

O'Douls as a beer sub

so sometimes during the day, I have cravings to go get krunk. I just graduated from college and am looking for a career, so I have a lotta free time on my hands. Today, I tried going to a bar and ordering a Diet Coke and a NA beer, and then went home, and later bought a 6 pack of O'Douls. I find myself eating a lot to sub for the pleasure feelings I get from alcohol. Should I keep going the O'Doul's route, is there a better alternative? I do like the taste of beer and O'Douls filled the time and subbed the taste. But I don't know if its sustainable.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR Rocketman.

I have a friend that started his sobriety journey with NA brew. He drank it for a wile then gave it up.

Me, NA beer has absolutely no appeal. I'm a drink for alcohol effects type. With sobriety, the attraction I had to alcohol is gone. Even the fake beer looks like a depressant that I have lost a taste for.

Anyhoo hope to see you around here often. SR is a great place to make a recovery program from.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rocketman

my problem with NA beer is...it looks like beer - it feels like a beer in my hand...it even tastes like beer (kinda)

when I drank it all the mental processes and little behaviours I used to have when drinking real beer used to kick off...

I've said before...I was like a rocket primed and ready for take off..and NA beer did not do it for me...so I'd think 'well one can of real beer won't hurt'...and once I'd think that - it was game over.

I think there's a million things to drink out there that don't remind you of your favorite tipple.

There's better ways to deal with cravings too - actually deal with them get through them, and watch them fade away in time - whether its AA, or another programme like SMART or Rational Recovery etc...or counselling...or something like urge surfing which helped me...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

In my experience what NA beer does is essentially feed your cravings. It's not solving the problem.

It's like trying to get off Coca Cola by drinking Pepsi IMO
D

Last edited by Dee74; 05-17-2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: text blindness
Old 05-17-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

What's the point? I enjoyed the effect and found out I really don't like the taste, it was the buzz.

Why not replace your alcohol high with a natural high and start working out? I don't know how old you are, but each year of life it gets harder to stay in shape without doing something about it.....the endorphin rush of exercise beats that of alcohol any day!

That way you can replace the lost sugars without worrying about the calories as you burn them off.

Yeah, I'm a rush junkie, too!

Peace,
Old 05-17-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

NA beer just has no appeal for me. I can't stomach the taste. I hated most lite beers and cheaper beers. More a craft brew gal. For me, the point of drinking was to get drunk. I get virgin drinks when i go out not to substitute for the real deal but because i love fruity, slushy drinks. I'm the kind of gal that goes to the gas station for a Slush Puppy, not gas, lol.

It sounds like your bigger problem is all the free time you have and how to fill it. Filling it with alcohol free beer is kind of as silly as filling it with regular beer. Have you considered taking up a hobby? Maybe taking a class in something you're interested in for fun? A sport? Any sober activity that gets you social. Sitting in a bar drinking a soda is still sitting in a bar. You've changed the drink but not the habit.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

there is a small percent of alcohol in NA beer. it is from the brewing process. for me, a small percentage will lead to a huge percentage.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I do agree with Dee. There are some that start with NA brews but then turn back. I drink NA beer and at first it was a crutch but now near 5 months later I am still sober and the urge to drink them have diminished. It worked for me but I also had a very good support system with friends and family. I keep them around just in case I have a challenge where I might want to enjoy something similar to a beer. Be careful and honest with yourself if you think it is a dangerous route stay away from them.