Notices

Day 2 sober!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 sober!

Day 2 sober and I feel pretty good!
I know going home will be a different story. It's amazing how I can wake up and be completely dedicated to staying sober. And I can keep that attitude and feeling all day. But something is going to happen right around 5 - 6pm. The switch goes off in my head. Start to think about having that beer, start thinking it's safe, it's normal, I can do this, I can have a beer. It really amazes me how my mind can do a complete 180 like that. I've been through this before though. My last attempt to get sober failed, but I'm actually encouraged by how far I went. I went almost 2 - 3 weeks back in December. And it felt great. Prior to that I had never gone more than 2 - 3 days without drinking, in roughly 15 years. So I was doing well..... right up until the point where I put myself in a situation I should not be in and I made the decision to drink. That pretty much knocked me back off the wagon for the next 5 months. I can't blame anyone but myself for putting me in that situation. I failed, but I'm learning and I'm not giving up.
It's now day 2. I've made an appointment with my doctor for Monday morning, and I'll be back here on SR the second I get home tonight.
Thank god for SR and all the support.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 2! One thing that really helped me from keeping the mind doing those 180s was a book called The Tao of Sobriety. I think it's similar to urge surfing and AVRT -- essentially, developing the ability to identify your thoughts, manage them, and let the bad ones go. You might want to check any of those 2 out.

Good job on Day 2!