Notices

Something has to change, I can't do this alone (please read)

Old 05-17-2012, 12:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snackle View Post
I now know the mistake of mixing alchy with anti-depressents, and I'm wondering if that actually set me back even more.
First off...Welcome! Sounds like you are in the right place! There is alot of support here!

From personal experience alcohol & anti-depressants just don't mix kindly with one another....they increase the effects of the alcohol & I had some very bad blackouts after drinking while on meds...not such a good idea in my opinion!

You are so young & it seems you know deep down what you need to do. I know you are apprehensive of AA...but that program works...i've seen it change people, for the good & i've seen alot of people younger than you are getting & staying sober...it is possible!.

Good luck! Keep posting!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
I'd suggest finding out if you have a drinking problem or if it's alcoholism. --AA is a great tool in that regard and I'd be happy to help. If you have a drinking problem, there's a lot of help for that. If you have alcoholism, the "treatment" is completely different but as/more successful.
Daytrader....what is the difference? Can you explain more on drinking problem vs alcoholic?

Thx
Old 05-17-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day 1 of full sobriety is complete! I was sober when I posted yesterday, but was drunk earlier that day. But today was my first complete day in quite a while.

First of all, I just want to say WOW! Thank you all for your support, I am so glad I joined the community.

I woke up before work, and definitely noticed the sweating and anxiety kicking in more than usual, I even had a bit of the shakes. I only slept for a few hours, but still felt more refreshed than I usually do when sleeping 6 while being drunk. My room mates were being loud that day, and I felt more irritable than usual.

I have not seen the Doctor yet, but I still plan on doing so. I was also wondering if when the worst symptoms of detox occur? I made it through today without feeling like I was gravely ill, however I did have some rather strong urges to drink. I kept telling myself that the urge will pass, and it did (thanks to a room mate keeping my mind occupied).

I had a good day at work since I wasn't hung-over, felt more alert and interested. My hardest part of the day has always been coming home from work. That's when I felt the urge to drink. But instead of going to the liquor store, I decided to go to the grocery store. I made myself a ham omelet smothered in Green Chili (YUM!) and I haven't cooked an actual meal made from scratch in years. I even cooked for one of my room mates who I was actually hanging out with (and without the fear of him smelling alcohol on my breath). I'm even piecing together a computer for one of my cute "girl" friends. I know all of these are little, and perhaps trivial details, but I actually felt involved in people's lives, rather than secluding myself with alcohol, and I will take that as accomplishment. I know it's a long bumpy road ahead, and perhaps I'm over-compensating for urges/anxiety- but I still left the bottle alone, and it feels good.

Right now I am trying to set goals for self-discovery and finding interests, not only to keep me off of alcohol, but to actually enjoy the life that I have been missing out on for years. It will be tough to get out there, but I know that without alcohol, the world is my oyster.

But for now, I'm wondering what to expect. Will the urges/withdrawal symptoms get worse before they become better? If I made day 1 without major illness, am I okay without being an in-patient?

Also, I was wondering Daytrader, what distinguishes the difference between alcoholism and a drinking problem? I thought they were interconnected? Perhaps the difference is genetics? I know my father is an alcoholic. He had been diagnosed with hepatitis C a few years ago, but underwent an experimental treatment and now he is cured. The bad news is, he's drinking beer again. My uncle has also lost multiple jobs, and has been divorced/casted out of his immediate family for his drinking. He even missed his son's wedding because his son requested that he didn't drink.

I think that's all I have for today. I'll try to get back with all of you lovely individuals just about every day. I've definitely noticed that this is definitely helping and I have all of you to thank for that.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Snackle, google and read AA's "How It Works" and "The Doctor's Opinion".

Let us know what questions you have after reading them.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-17-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Snackle

Congrats on day 1. Don't discount anything that will keep you sober. Even if you don't want to go to meetings yet, at least read the book, therein lies the program, the steps.
Listen to XA speakers online.
Funny for me to say this, I don't get to meeting because of the distance I have to travel. Although I will make a meeting next week and make the effort to get to meetings in a neighboring city the week after.
I am extremely grateful to AA and I am enjoying the benefits of this program.
I am not trying to push AA down your throat I am just saying try everything that keeps you sober.
CaiHong
Old 05-17-2012, 11:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
never alone again

Snackle; I don't want to scare you but I think you should be informed and aware of what could happen. So you can make an informed decision and be as safe as possible.

Google delirium tremors. I have witnessed them and they are terrifying.

I just worry that no one knows how much you drank or what you are trying to do except people on this board. If you choose not to see your doctor, please tell a friend or family just so they can check on you during this first week.

Prayers are with you. Congrats on 1st day sober.