Notices

Day 1 and already...

Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Good call bayliss! I do believe that as you learn to live with your sober self that being in situations with alcohol around won't be as risky as they are during the early stages. Hope you're feeling well today!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I wish I was smart enough to get it at that age...I could have saved myself and a lot of other people a lot of misery. I wish you the best.
I'm glad there are people like you who can teach the younger generation about alcoholism. I'm thankful everyday of my life that I started my sobriety so early, I've been through a lot for a 23 year old, but I'm glad I started doing something about it now rather than later.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:27 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bayliss View Post
Hey Challenged,

The longest I have gone in sobriety was 17 days I believe...that was in September of 2011. The longest I have gone this year...was the 2 weeks in April and 2 weeks in the beginning of May.
In the beginning of joining I don't think I wanted to quit drinking. I didn't come here often unless I had a huge fight with the boyfriend and read books on alcoholism while I was drinking. It was redundant.
I do want to quit now (even though that AV is trying to convince me otherwise right now, lol). But what you said, really sticks...because I had no physical withdrawals and was fine by day 2 or 3 I was complacent and figured I had no problem and could drink but I can't!!! I need to keep reminding myself! I know exactly what you mean! I think I expected that instant gratification too and that everything was going to be sunshine and rainbows and it wasn't.
I am eager to feel what it is like to get to month 2. I really want to get to month 2!! I have to keep remembering how amazing I felt while sober! All the things the bf and I did on weekends without feeling super hungover or half drunk!
All the weight I gained too, ugh. :/
Thank you Challenged1 for the encouraging words and to write out how I have felt too!

Thank you Fandy.

I wanted to keep you guys updated that I went out - took the bus downtown and dropped off a bunch of resumes, went out for lunch by myself (!) and went to the grocery store where I bought food for dinner and got some free peanut butter cookies.
Walked back and read a book outside in the sunshine.
It is a good day so far.
If fighting with the BF causes you to drink, you might want to think of a way to cut that out of your life for a bit. Maybe explain to him what you're going through and that you can't have any added stress on your life. My fiance and I argued a bit during my first few weeks of sobriety, she obviously didn't understand what I was going through. But if an argument causes you to relapse you might want to consider taking a break for a bit, or letting him know that you cannot and will not argue with him during this tough time for you. Wishing you the best!

Also, congrats on the good day. Dropping off resumes is a great way to start, reading is a great way to keep busy, and you can never go wrong with peanut butter cookies, especially if they're free lol.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Keep going and keep counting .
The tears and the emotional waves will calm down .
Remember to feel pride with each day .
Self pity is going to be a gateway to failure.
You will get through the evening you will get through the night , you may even sleep.
There will be times that the emotional rollercoaster comes back and it will go away and each time it's effects become less and you will cope with it better and each day should give you more and more self worth. Keep on here it's so helpful.
Do this now not in 20 or 30 years time. You are opening a new world that will become so bright and vibrant that it will swamp anything alcohol can give you. Just give it time.
John.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Eh1988 - when I am sober the boyfriend and I never argue...I think that if I took a break from us that I would drink even more...and I also don't think it would be good for my sobriety because what would happen when I got back? I have been with him for a long time and we live together so that isn't going to happen.
It's when I am drinking I pick on him, start fights, read too much into his comments and start a huge argument that I blow out of proportion and that leads me to overreact, leave and drink more.
When I am sober...we barely fight...and if we do get into an argument then we calmly discuss things and he is able to talk it out with me since I am sober and not irrational and I can do the same.
We come to a conclusion, an agreement and keep going on our merry way.

It is funny. I have noticed that since I am sober, he tells me every morning he loves me, or texts me, he says cute things and I never got that when I was drinking all the time. Probably because I was a totally different person...I would space out, lash out at him, ignore him...
Wow...I realize now...I was a huge b***h.
Poor guy. He deserves a sober girlfriend.

Yes! Delicious peanut butter cookies with chinese oolong tea! This morning I had chocolate and tea...wow.
I also got out of bed before 9:30am! Craziness.

Thank you Spinach.
Day 3 today. I slept fantastic the last two nights. I actually woke up with a tiny mini headache, which was weird!
I am ready to tackle the day and to a bunch of stuff! I am addicted to my laptop at times and need to remind myself to get my butt out of the house and enjoy the gorgeous Canadian sunshine!

I know that a lot of people struggle with their weight in early sobriety and some don't. I am grateful that I am not struggling with that.
In my first 2 weeks initially I lost 13lbs...lost another 2lbs the past three days...
I gained 50lbs from freakin' drinking. Ugh. How gross is that?
I was becoming a fat, slobby, losery girlfriend and person.

I am going to lift some weights today and get back to the gym next week!
Old 05-18-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Wow, lots of great suggestions on this thread. If you want different, you do different. I became willing to go to any length to get sober. I constantly thought of the humiliation of my last drunk which kept me focused on finding a solution. I didn't want to ask a perfect stranger in The rooms of AA for help, but was told that is what was necessary. For the first time in my life I learned to FOLLOW a few simple steps. Bayliss, make yourself go to a meeting and find a sponsor to hold you accountable-that is the beginning...
Old 05-18-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Bayliss, I am so glad to hear you're having a good day today.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Your Welcome bayliss

Keep at it and you too will have that ah ha moment. Old habits die hard and my schedule was always scheduled around drinking. It's such an oxymoron with alcohol, you feel like a prisoner when the idea of never drinking has to settle in. However, it's the booze that keeps you a prisoner. It dictates when you can drive, who you can answer the phone to when your plowed, the shame that follows the morning after, relying on others to explain the events that took place, all the apologies and damage control, and the list goes on.
I know it's not easy at first by any stretch of the imagination, but you do get past that void and gain this empowering feeling of self-control. That in itself is a natural high that puts the drunken stooper to shame