Notices

First group therapy session

Old 05-16-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First group therapy session

Like I stated before I entered an out patient program and am starting right away tomorrow night. I am a bit concerned because many of the people there are just there because they got an OWI/DUI and have to be there not really there to get better. Has anyone through this?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have people in my meetings like that Duke...Keep it real simple...The reason you are there is for you. Get as much out of it as you can. Don't worry about anybody else in the room...Open mind and open ears...I wish you well.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I signed up for my treatment because I got a DUI. Of course, I went before the court ordered me because I do want to be there. Anyway, I just wanted to say, just because they start treatment because of the circumstances and have no thought of recovering at the moment, that could change. Maybe you being there could help them, in return helping you. who knows. Don't just write them off because that brought them there though.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Duke
Has anyone through this?
I have.

I think its best not to be concerned why others are there when you may have more that enough to focus on in order to heal.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Duke...a lot of people come to my usual meeting just looking to get a piece of paper signed for the courts. Or because the local VA buses them in. Sometimes, I can't even find a seat in a meeting I go to every day because of this.

So I stand against the wall, and I'm glad to be there. Your sobriety is about you...no one else. Their motives don't matter. Yours do. But at some point, I also realized (like ph3314 pointed out) that some of these people aren't just there because they have to be. You can be a positive influence for them. You can help others. And in doing so, you'll help yourself stay sober.

--Fenris.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ok, I wanted to add a little something to this because I had my first session last night. We spent a lot of time on someone that very openly admitted that she did not want to be there, was drinking/drugging over the weekend. Most of the conversation was about her needing a higher level of care than 1 hr per week. Great, so talk to her privately about getting the help she needs, don't waste everyone else's time. Don't get me wrong, I understand that talking about other's struggles and everything is part of the process. I just feel that too much time was taken up on someone that obviously does not want help right now. I do really hope she gets help, she is pretty young and already has had a hard life.

I guess I was put off by the counselor in the very beginning. She came off as rude and uncaring with the way she was talking to people. She didn't say a word to me before the meeting, or even acknowledge that I was there. Maybe this was to try to let me get my bearings, but it was obvious they all knew each other and were updating everyone on their week. It wasn't until about half way through the meeting that she introduced me. If that was the reason, in reality, it just made me feel like an outsider.

There were some good things from the session. It is a women's group, which is something I have been looking for in AA. I do think I will be able to relate to a few of them there. Regardless of how I felt about some things that went on or how it was handled, I look forward to my next one because I do think it is good for me. Last night was a weird night, but there was also a girl leaving after she had been there for a year, so a lot of it was about her and her journey. Fantastic girl, btw, wish I had known her throughout her time there. The way she talked about the group gave me hope that I am at the right place.

On top of all this, I got homework! What?????