Notices

One Day

Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Day

One day of being intentionally and not accidentally sober. I did it home alone, which is a huge trigger for me.

One day down. no idea what to do next. I guess sleep is the first thing.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

every journey starts with a single step Payton - well done!

you could do worse than log in here regularly for a while - lots of advice and support here

D
Old 05-15-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee for responding - I needed someone to know.

I feel so sad right now. I have some hard work ahead. Since I was last here years ago my life has been turned over and turned over again through circumstances out of my control. I survived but now I have a bigger and more complicated hole to fix. Today is a start.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you checked in Payton. Congratulations on day 1. Stay the course.
Seconding the request for updates.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Payton View Post
One day down. no idea what to do next.
You've been a member since 2008...Maybe it's time to try something different. Be careful detoxing.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Today is a great day to be sober!

I wish you long term sobriety! You can do this! It's quite a new experience. I endorse it.

Just today, don't drink & start today again & again.....
Old 05-16-2012, 03:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
So it goes

Great oaks from little acorns grow
Keep it up Payton
Well done
Old 05-16-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
You've been a member since 2008...Maybe it's time to try something different. Be careful detoxing.
I agree! I need to get a therapist ASAP to deal with what I've been through in the last several years. I haven't had counseling since I was very sick with anorexia like a decade ago. My consumption isn't frequent or great enough to cause me to have any physical discomfort when I don't drink which I'm grateful for - BUT this activity does not fit in with the rest of my life and goals and I find myself splitting emotionally again and this is dangerous, and needs to stop.

My husband stopped drinking and asked me to do the same, to save money, because we are still recovering financially from his job loss and subsequent relocation across the country, where I have have no family/friend support but have made some good connections. This has been easy for him but for me it has been very difficult. I recently took a trip to visit family and ended up raiding their cabinets every night and don't feel good about it. Anyway thank you for the support. I feel good after declaring my intentions here last night. I don't feel able to make long term commitments so I really am focusing on just today. I'm looking forward to getting a therapist because I have really been trying to carry a lot all by myself and it's too much.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How did your husband stop drinking?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

He just said, "I'm not going to buy any more alcohol until we're completely back on our feet because it's not a necessity and it's a waste of money," and that was that. No struggle, no drama. He doesn't have any issues with it. :-/
Old 05-16-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Payton View Post
He just said, "I'm not going to buy any more alcohol until we're completely back on our feet because it's not a necessity and it's a waste of money," and that was that. No struggle, no drama. He doesn't have any issues with it. :-/
He's a better man than I...I couldn't do it like that...I'd find ways to get drunk when I was flat assed broke. Good for him. And good luck with your therapist...I can tell you it's nice to live without it.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
He's a better man than I...I couldn't do it like that...I'd find ways to get drunk when I was flat assed broke. Good for him. And good luck with your therapist...I can tell you it's nice to live without it.
I know...for him it is just another excess to cut out of the budget like cable TV or something...LOL. Must be nice. I am going to start looking online for a therapist today.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I feel really good and confident about TODAY. I know that today I will not be using any substances/behaviors.

It feels good to be partially free of agitation. That's what I'm most sick of - constant agitation - do I have a problem, how will I get more to drink, should I stop here, go there, how can I keep my husband from getting mad at me, is this hurting my body, etc etc etc. I just want to be free of that constant push-pull agitation. It's making me nuts.

You know when I was in recovery from bulimia I realized that there were foods I just could not have in my house, because I could never ever control myself around them. Mostly junk. I just stopped buying them and even avoided them in the store.

Aside from the alcohol, my diet is pristine (not restrictive) and I participate in regular cleansing programs, do all organics, work out regularly - people ask me for advice and trust me to talk to about their health goals and struggles. I feel like such a fraud sometimes to be drinking so much alcohol and struggling with this, while caring and talking so much about health and nutrition issues and trying to train for fitness competitions, etc. It is just ridiculous and one of my biggest frustrations is that it is just incongruous to the rest of my values and interests. I have heard a voice in my head saying, "you know you're gonna have to stop this." It's funny, it's easy to push that voice aside like it was foggy, from a dream or something.

Anyway I am all over the forums and I feel a sense of relief today. I am just refusing to think about "the rest of my life" and just thinking of today and that feels good.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done Payton for keeping at it and continuing the fight. You will be an inspiration to others who have relapsed, but have got back on track.
You have lots of support here and we're all rooting for you.
Keep posting xx
Old 05-16-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

congrats on day one
Old 05-16-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is really hard. Just focusing on today, because I can do today.

Also is this an appropriate place for me to be posting my experiences? Or should I start a post in the alcohol forums?