Notices

A few questions from newbie

Old 05-18-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

My family at the time and I also lost "friends" when I stopped drinking. We weren't invited to the parties. They were always an excuse for my wife to have a gab session but for the guys to get drunk. I always made everyone comfortable by drinking more than everyone else. It made them feel better about their own problems as no one was as bad as I was. I even made it look better by not falling down or becoming obnoxious as I was so experienced by then that I had a tolerance like no one else.

When I quit it made them all face their own demons and we all know what that is like.

I have stayed away from alcohol these many years (maybe 30?) but have fallen to drugs now for the second time. I made all my "friends" at the first episode uncomfortable as I really made an ass out of myself in front of the whole world.

After years of sobriety from that I fell again. I think that is why I like the words of the "addictive voice", the "beast that loves to get high" because he lives inside of me.

But I am 15 days clean and I have slept most of 2 of the last 3 nights. Insomnia is not done with me but I feel wonderful. I am symptom free and I am NEVER EVER going back again.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HitRockBottom70 View Post
Today is day 5 for me. I feel really good. Not sleeping too well, but feel more rested. I am feeling strong like i can do this for good. I really am trying to wrap my mind around what I need to do to not take another drink of alcohol.

I read in many posts "one day at a time". I am telling myself forever this time. Is this an odd thing to do or a wrong way of looking at it? I never want alcohol to control my life again so I don't want to give it an opportunity to do it tomorrow. Or do people say one day at a time because our moods and cravings can swing so wildly we must be ready to fight whatever comes along that day with whatever means necessary. Or is it easier to get back with the program if you screw up a day to day plan but possibly catastrophic if you screw up a lifelong plan.

Also I am trying to figure out a way to let my friends know when we are out to dinner or over to someone's house I no longer drink. Maybe saying "I am on a diet and if I have one drink I end up drinking way too much and eating too much" if they push I can just say "seriously, I can't have any alcohol". I think everyone would respect that and they can infer what they like.

Sorry if I rambled a bit, I just got done with a long and wbusy 12 hour shift.
Thanks for any help,

Just keep hanging in there. Day 6 for me here, and to be honest, I feel better than I have in a LONG time! I feel like a major weight has been lifted off of me. I don't think about the fact the I have to be sober and I can never drink again. I don't like to think that way.

It's almost as if I feel like if I do think that way, I will want it more. Maybe comparable to someone who picks a day to start a diet and they eat and eat because they feel they will be restricted, and knowing that they are restricted makes them want it more. I hope I am making sense.

I just focus on being healthy now. I don't think about the fact "I can never have alcohol again" I think about my liver I think about how much more energy I have and how much better I feel. I feel much more productive.

Just one day at a time is right. Try to focus on what is great about being without the alcohol. Think about how bad you felt, and think about things that you've noticed that are better now that you aren't drinking.

That is how I have been getting through it. I just don't dwell on it. I just live day by day, and strive to be the person that I was before the disease got a hold of me.

Also, don't tell yourself you are going to have cravings. The more you think about others that have cravings, you may just have cravings because that is stuck in your head. Everyone reacts differently and handles their quitting differently.

If you ever need to talk, send me a PM.

Grats on day 5!

-RDY
Old 05-18-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

one more thing... I already have a line when someone asks if I would like a drink.

"no thanks, it gives me a headache"

in MORE ways than one!

-RDY
Old 05-18-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by oxyfiend
After years of sobriety from that I fell again. I think that is why I like the words of the "addictive voice", the "beast that loves to get high" because he lives inside of me.
There are currently 4...looks like will be 5 soon?...threads on AVRT in the secular section. A wonderful resource and wealth of information for anyone interested in this way of thinking.
Originally Posted by oxyfiend
But I am 15 days clean and I have slept most of 2 of the last 3 nights. Insomnia is not done with me but I feel wonderful. I am symptom free and I am NEVER EVER going back again.
You know what I love about this? "Insomnia is not done with me but I feel wonderful"...you aren't lamenting, you are moving forward despite some less than desirable conditions...like a boss I might add!