Notices

Newbie here

Old 05-15-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie here

I'm a newbie here and just found this site today. 5 days sober today which is quite an accomplishment for me.

Anyway, just saying hello and enjoying reading the forum! Thanks!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR BuddyW62...Congrats on 5 days sober!...Glad to have you with us!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Buddy, and I'm glad you found us.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna and Sapling! Glad I found you too. Been battling this disease for several years. It's actually nice to not wake up in the night to a soaked pillow and shake the next day until I got a drink. I know that recovery is a life-long process and I am really trying this time. One day at a time. Looking forward to day 6
Old 05-15-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BuddyW62 View Post
It's actually nice to not wake up in the night to a soaked pillow and shake the next day until I got a drink.
I sure don't miss that...It's not even living.
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family! :ghug3 Congrats on your decision to get sober. It's worth it.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello!

As a fellow "newbie" I can tell you that you've come to the right place! Someone is always around and it's truly a great place....

Welcome, and congrats on 5 days!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Buddy

D
Old 05-15-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful job on your 5 days, Buddy! We know how hard it is to get started - but you're doing great. Glad to have you as part of the family.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome, Buddy. Do you have a plan for sobriety for when your physically feeling better? AA has helped me a lot.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Buddy!!

Good job on your 5 days! I totally agree about the sweats and the hangovers - I don't miss them at all. The further away I got from my last drink, the better I felt.... not only physically, but mentally and emotionally, too. Glad you've joined us!!
Old 05-16-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the warm welcome and congrats! It is really appreciated.

Day 6!

A little about myself. I have been battling alcohol and drug abuse for all of my teen and adult life (I'm 50 years old). 14 years ago I went into my first rehab and did the 28 day in-house program, in which I stayed clean and sober for about 6 months. I started back with using codeine and then went back to my old friend Xanax. The Xanax, Valium, Ativan, Librium or whatever I could get my hands on nearly killed me in 2000. I went back and detoxed and did an outpatient program and have not touched a benzodiazapam or any other type of pill besides an Ibuprofen since (12 years this August 11!). That was tough but I did it and will never forget where I came from with that. It's still a work in progress....

After 2000 I didn't touch a drink until 2002. I met a woman who was a moderate drinker whom I later married. I figured what the heck I can drink a little here and there, after all it wasn't alcohol I was addicted to it was benzos. BAD MISTAKE. For the first couple of years I did drink moderately and hey, I can do this. Then stress kicked in at work, my then wife started drinking right along with me drink for drink (beer was my choice of drink). Things went downhill with us, we divorced and my drinking escalated needless to say.

I later met a wonderful woman to who I am married to now (2 years this October). She had no idea I was an alcoholic. She knew I drank a lot but didn't realize what kind of problem it was for me because as an alcoholic I was a master at hiding things very well from her....at least for a while. The past several months for me have been hell. My wife had talked to me numerous times about my drinking, even mentioning that she would consider going her separate way if things didn't get better. I of course shrugged it off as an empty threat. I guess the final straw was when I couldn't even drive to work in the mornings (thank God we work near each other so she would drive). The sweats, throwing up in the morning, and shaking all day long from 8 - 5 until I could get home and get a beer. Last Wednesday at my job (I work for a financial institution in Information Security...does it make you feel comfortable knowing a drunk was making sure your accounts and personal information was secure from hackers, etc?) we had a luncheon. I would up sitting at the table with my manager and my manager's manager. I was "ok" until we started eating. I couldn't stop shaking. My manager leaned over at one point and said "You're shaking, why?" Afterward I explained my situation (she is extremely understanding as she has a brother who is an alcoholic) and that I was going to admit myself to the hospital for detox. I thank God for having such a supportive boss and wife! Last Friday I admitted myself and was released this past Monday.

So that's where I am today.

@ Displaced: Yes I do have a plan. I am going to AA, getting back into church (that's always helped for me...sorry I hope I don't overstep boundaries here mentioning that) and have a good support system. The few friends I have are very supportive as well. My wife has drank moderately in the past but is going to abstain to keep alcohol out of the house.

Again, thanks for the welcome! I look forward to talking more to you guys!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! and Congrats on 5 days!!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on 5 days!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BuddyW62 View Post
@ Displaced: Yes I do have a plan. I am going to AA, getting back into church (that's always helped for me...sorry I hope I don't overstep boundaries here mentioning that) and have a good support system. The few friends I have are very supportive as well. My wife has drank moderately in the past but is going to abstain to keep alcohol out of the house.
It's OK to mention going to Church...It's funny what us alkies think might be overstepping boundries. Glad you have a plan in place Buddy...It works if you work it. Find a good sponsor to guide you through it. Use this site for support. Enjoy your new life.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Sapling. I've been finding there's a lot of good support on this site. Glad I found it. Haven't found a sponsor yet but I will. Thanks for all of the support!
Old 05-17-2012, 03:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I like to see people make it Buddy....I hope and pray that you do.