SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Oh-oh had too much coffee. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/256827-oh-oh-had-too-much-coffee.html)

cheeto 05-15-2012 01:38 PM

Oh-oh had too much coffee.

I don't drink caffeine alot but have in the last couple of months,having 2 cups of coffee a day.Anyway it's a cloudy,rainy day here so thought I would make a BIG pot and drink coffee all morning.
OMG this could be a huge trigger for me cause my anxiety is really bad,I'm sweating,my heart is racing and I want to jump out of my skin right now.
Had a thought that a drink could calm me.....
OH yea that would be great to wreck 2 very difficult weeks of sobriety,so I said "NO" to my addictive voice that will make any excuse to get me to drink.
Glad I can vent and get this out to y'all to squash any chance of picking up a drink..
OK I think I am good now....just let it pass.....Stupid Voice!!!! :scared:

least 05-15-2012 01:46 PM

It will pass. Just breathe and focus on your sobriety.:) And cut down on your coffee!;)

Anna 05-15-2012 01:51 PM

LOL, or switch to decaf. :)

Sapling 05-15-2012 03:04 PM

Hang in there cheeto....I found hot chocolate was easier on the anxiety in early sobriety. Good job on the two weeks!

CaiHong 05-15-2012 03:08 PM

I never really enjoyed coffee until I got sober. Now I find I am building an addiction to it. On Sunday I had 4 cups and it made me feel a bit spacy.
The next day I went cold turkey and had worse W/D than from alcohol, headaches, angry a bit depressed.
On Tuesday I had 2 cups and fought against having a third. I really enjoy my coffee but if I start drinking too much I will have to give it up completely.

Glad to hear you were able to resist the urge to take a drink to calm you.

CaiHong

OCDDan 05-15-2012 03:12 PM

Walking would probably help

Leemzer 05-15-2012 03:16 PM

I had to give up coffee. Just like everything else, I went from never having had it until I was 39 except for studying in college, to drinking a million cups in the morning. Haven't had it in about 3 months now and it is like I never had it. Now don't you dare take away my Diet Coke™!! LOL

Someguy23 05-15-2012 03:20 PM

It's caffeine intoxication. I had it once (from energy drinks). From experience...
- drink plenty of water, caffeine dehydrates you a lot
- whether or not you usually drink alcohol, don't, both caffeine and alcohol increase heart rate
- food might help
- stay away from sodas, many have caffeine even when it's not obvious
- freak out as little as possible, it'll pass

For those who never had it, it's not a big deal but very unpleasant... All the best to you.

sugarbear1 05-15-2012 03:25 PM

Careful with the caffeine. Water with a slice of fresh lemon is awesome!

Energy drinks have other things in them and have been lethal to some people. Really be careful with those!

Serphyas 05-15-2012 03:26 PM

had the same problem. switched to tea with no caffeine! Worked for me!

Hip2beSquare 05-15-2012 04:32 PM

Next time go for a walk come home and eat something washing it down with water.

cheeto 05-15-2012 05:06 PM

Yes,that's why I had been drinking decaf for years but have got used to a cup or two of the real thing but now I know that's IT!
Went for a power walk after posting to wear off the anxiety and the adrenaline rush....
Thanks all for posting....

soberlicious 05-15-2012 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by cheeto
Anyway it's a cloudy,rainy day here so thought I would make a BIG pot and drink coffee all morning.

Rookie mistake ;) If you are not a regular coffee drinker and decide to drink a whole pot...go half-caf or decaf.

so I said "NO" to my addictive voice that will make any excuse to get me to drink.
There is never a valid reason for drinking alcohol. Never. Ever.
Any idea that even remotely suggests drinking is your AV. Ignore.